205 GTi Top Radiator hose
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 GTi Top Radiator hose

Ok Guys,
    Here's an interesting one! I am planning to change the top (inlet) radiator hose on my '89 205 GTi. There are two hoses listed, the 1343-C3 (just a normal hose - $50odd) and the 1343-E9 (has two smaller diameter hoses running off it and costs almost 200big ones ). The 1343-E9 is the one listed for my car (with aircon) but naturally I'd prefer to get the 1343-C3 being a quarter of the price. Now my car has the 1343-E9 currently BUT the two hoses coming off it are not connected to anything (there is a piece of pipe connecting the two i.e. looping them back). SO........the question is does anyone know if it is absolutely necessary to have these two hoses (i.e do they increase the volume of the cooling system for a particular purpose) should they be connected to something else? (I don't see anywhere else they should go) or can I save myself $150 bucks with no apparent difference to the running of the car?
    Look forward to your thoughts,
    Sean

Advertisement

These are the pipes for the remote oil cooler. Your's has obviously been disconnected at some stage. Where is the oil filter located on your car?

All Aus-spec 205's had the remote oil cooler to cope with the hotter than Europe conditions.
    Regards,
    Matt
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Imagine watching the entire French Air-Force crash into a fireworks factory. That's how much fun this car is."

Jeremy Clarkson - talking about the V6 Clio
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Matt,

The oil filter is mounted to the front of the engine above the sump, and is fed by two pipes. There is no spacer for oil take off to a remote oil cooler - and there is no oil cooler as far as I can see. I would imagine the PO probably damaged the oil cooler and decided not to replace it. The car runs relatively cool so I guess I can do without it - what are your thoughts on this? In that case the water hose without the two additional will serve my purpose. I guess the other possibility is that the PO has put a UK spec engine in...... One other thing I noticed the last time I changed the distributor seal was that there was no vacuum advance hose -wierd. I tried to look for a vacuum union which may be basically hanging around doing nothing because of this but nothing. Any thoughts on this?
    Cheers,
    Sean

The cooler is a water-oil style cooler, basically cooled by water running through a housing attached to the base of the old. Like I said sounds like you's has been deleted. This is probably no drama as long as you keep up the oil changes and use a decent quality oil. This means you can use the cheaper hose.

What year model is your car? The later S3 cars don't have a vacuum advance. If your's does and it's not connected, does it idle OK?
    Last edited by matt205; 30th August 2004 at 06:33 PM.
    Regards,
    Matt
    "Imagine watching the entire French Air-Force crash into a fireworks factory. That's how much fun this car is."

Jeremy Clarkson - talking about the V6 Clio

Hey matt,

Yeah I figure I'll just go the cheaper hose - like I said it seems to run cool enough. It is an '89 series 2. The dizzy does have a vacuum advance on it but its not connected - idles low when cold but is fine when warmed-up (I figure thats what most people report for GTis in any case. I'd like to hook it up and see if it does make a difference to idle speed at startup but can't find anywhere to plumb it in.
    Cheers<
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by S Chung
    Hey matt,

Yeah I figure I'll just go the cheaper hose - like I said it seems to run cool enough. It is an '89 series 2. The dizzy does have a vacuum advance on it but its not connected - idles low whencold but is fine when warmed-up (I figure thats what most people report for GTis in any case. I'd l ike to hook it up and see if it does make a difference to idle speed at startup but can't find anywhere to plumb it in.
    Cheers<
    Sean

sean, mines the same,no vaccuum advance hose.
    i talked it over with my mechanix and we worked out that the advance was not working anyway.i didnt really want to overhall the dizzy as i have just spent a small fortune on front end and motor.
    it only really comes into play to retard timing and fuel mixture a speeds over 70k to reduce fuel consumption.the upshot of not fixing is using a bit more fuel at these speeds.
    the other end of the vaccuum advance hose connects to a place under the air inlet manifold in a really inacesible place[so my mechanic tells me]i cant find reference to it in the haines manual though.but im only going on what ive been told i havenot actually laid my eyes or hands on the blighter

bazz 87 205 gti

Thanks Baz,
    Yeah I was looking around for a vacuum pick up point so that explains it then, I'll check it out on the weekend. Hopefully the actual dizzy is not stuffed but then again if its not then theoretically there should be no reason to disconnect the hose. I wouldn't mind saving abit of fuel given the cost of the stuff lately
    Cheers,
    Sean

yeah ,no what you mean,its gettin ridiculous with the yo-yo price of fuel of late,the rest of my dizzy works well enough just not the vac adv.
    tell me how you go and if you noticed any difference once you fix the prob.
    ta -BAZZ

Thread Information