R17 Headers
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: R17 Headers

Default R17 Headers

Hey

Ok I'm tempted to get a set of pipes made for the R17.

The motor thats in it has a bit of a cam and a set of webers,

The stock exhaust manifold seems ok, does anyone know I will notice much difference if I get a set of pipes made for it ?

Advertisement

guess what I'm trying to say is, is it worth it ??
    1967 1135 R8 Gordini
    2012 BMW One Series M Coupe

A decent set of headers with a bigger exhaust will always make some sort of difference, it probably comes down to cost and benefit as well and what the car is likely to be used for. If mainly street, a noisier car is just likely to attract attention probably both from admirers and those who you would prefer not to deal with.

From another point of view, it was interesting to note that Renault on the 12G retained the stock 15/17 manifold, even when trying to coax a few more horses for the S2 version with bonnet scoop and sans motor driven cooling fan. It was only when the 160bhp kit was installed that headers were used. Whether they were just being cheap is another thought, but overall I reckon for its purpose the stock manifold may be the best all round solution. Then again if a set of Devils pops up, why not swap them over.......

Ash Go to Exotic Exhaust at Jijaws St Sumner Park. See what they say about a set of 4-2-1 headers. They have done a few sets for various vehicles for me at reasonable cost. Primaries should be around 15" with the total length at 34". A 2 1/4" exhaust would be big enough. Inside diam of the primaries at 1 1/2".

In exhausts, bigger is not always better, but unlike a V8 Supercar team you are not going to get five sets made and try them out. Getting the extractors HPC coated does keep the engine bay heat down, and keeps the pipes looking pretty as well. This adds about $170.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Thanks heaps Simon n Alan

Thing is I don't want it loud; I like a bit of noise, but not too much. I don't think it's possible to get a decent free flowing exhaust thatís quietish. At the moment all I've got on it is a 1 3/4' and when I jump on the Hi-way the thing just barks it head off, and is real drowneey. I know a R18 5 speed would probably quiten it down a bit, but usually I just crank up some tunes, works most of the time.

But Alan just in regard to the motor, it's performing pretty good as of late, Got the thing tuned at Adaptatune couple of weeks ago with the Webers, did a pretty good job and didn't charge me to much either.
    I'd love to do a Uni degree on how to tune Webers.
    And yea it goes well for what it is. Motors been in there for a while now and I've had no dramas with it, you did a good job of it.

Gave a Lotus Excel a hard time the other day, although I think it may have been sick.
    I had a go with a VL Turbo but yea he kinda killed me, although it wasn't by to much I was pretty surprised

Wanna get this electric ignition thing sussed, maybe throw a MSD on it, and some pipes and then I'll think about taking it out to Willowbank.
    Then all I need is a set of Number Plates with MNY-PIT (money pit)
    1967 1135 R8 Gordini

What Hp did the Adaptatune people say it had, and how does that compare to other small 4s that they have done? I once ran my 15 at the drags, but could only manage a 16.03 best, on stock tyres, with heaps of one wheel wheelspin. That same motor now lives in the 750, but is tired.

15= 1050Kg 750= 650Kg I think in good tune the 750 would be looking at 13s, with no traction problems of the 15.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

I'm interested to see what HP it puts out, although not expecting anything major.

They didn't chuck it on the Dyno, was just a basic Carby Equilize and tune up.

Thats the thing, I reckon the R17 will make a shitty time 1/4 mile wise, as it wont get good traction. I'd be happy with a 15.
    1967 1135 R8 Gordini

Thread Information