Fuego intake air pre-heat
  • Register
  • Help

Default Fuego intake air pre-heat

I remember reading somewhere, that the Fuego has the hot air intake (from the exhaust manifold, to the air box) to pre heat air in below freezing conditions, and to prevent carb icing at high speed.

Has anyone removed theirs, and had any ill effects?

The pre heat at <0įC makes sense, and is therefore useless in Australia (unless your in Canberra).

But the carb icing up?????? Can anyone explain this?????? I havenít been able to find he freezing point of ULP, but Iím pretty confident that itís a long way below 0įC. The only other ďfreezableĒ thing would be moisture in the air. But there is coolant circulated in the carb, and the manifold bolted to the head is an excellent conductor of heat. Assuming the thermostat is operating correctly (88įC) there shouldnít be a problem.

The R20 didnít have this fitted, and I havenít seen a R21/25.

Logically, the colder the air intake, the denser the air, the more power. This is why cold air intakes are so common as accessories, and making their way into manufacturers specs.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, as Iím about to remove mine. (The hose is perished beyond repair and almost certainly hasnít been doing a dam thing anyway)

Advertisement
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequatly explained by stupidity.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniel
    I remember reading somewhere, that the Fuego has the hot air intake (from the exhaust manifold, to the air box) to pre heat air in below freezing conditions, and to prevent carb icing at high speed.

Has anyone removed theirs, and had any ill effects?

The pre heat at <0įC makes sense, and is therefore useless in Australia (unless your in Canberra).

But the carb icing up?????? Can anyone explain this?????? I havenít been able to find he freezing point of ULP, but Iím pretty confident that itís a long way below 0įC. The only other ďfreezableĒ thing would be moisture in the air. But there is coolant circulated in the carb, and the manifold bolted to the head is an excellent conductor of heat. Assuming the thermostat is operating correctly (88įC) there shouldnít be a problem.

The R20 didnít have this fitted, and I havenít seen a R21/25.

Logically, the colder the air intake, the denser the air, the more power. This is why cold air intakes are so common as accessories, and making their way into manufacturers specs.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, as Iím about to remove mine. (The hose is perished beyond repair and almost certainly hasnít been doing a dam thing anyway)

DO NOT remove the pre heat pipe.

I live in the Macedon Ranges which is admittedly cold, but the carby on my Fuego ices up very easily without the pre heat pipe and uses a shitload more fuel even if it doesn't ice up....

BTW - My car runs at normal operating temperature and all coolant pipes are connected and the system is bled and in good order.

MPFI cars such as 21/25's do not require pre heating of the air as the fuel is injected straight into the intake port...

1000+ Posts

No way would I remove the heat transfer pipe on the Fuego.

I followed my son's Fuego driving from Echuca to Melbourne and found him stopped by the roadside his car had started running badly, blowing black smoke from the exhaust. he though he must have ":blown something"

I started his car, it ran fine and I drove behind him for about 15 to 20 minutes at 100 kph, when the symptoms returned, big black clouds of smoke, and heaps of fuel being wasted!! (warmth of engine when stopped unfreezes carby and symptom dissapears( (Temporarily )

Recalled my daughter saying that her car had iced up in the carby some years back and she had to get a new transfer tube fitted, so immediately got under the car and found the tube had become disconnected from the air filter inlet. Refitted it and later taped it on with duct tape and he hasn't had a problem since.

Never had a problem with any of my Fuegos as the transfer tubes have always been fitted. The day my sons car played up it was just a mild day, not cold.

To save on buying a new long tube, I have fitted plastic plumbers pipe where it clips to the chassis, stops the crushing and deterioration of the tube in that area.

This is the cardboard/aluminium tubing NOT the metal tube that runs around the back of the engine to the ECU area - I have often seen those sealed off at the manifold with no adverse effects, as those metal tubes often crack and rust etc and the ECU units on the inlet manifold become inoperative over time.

Ken.

Ken

Thread Information