87 205gti she no go
  • Register
  • Help

Default 87 205gti she no go

This morning my little baby she just say not today. I get in and turn the key and it cranks over perfectly but does not fire even once. Being mechanically minded (but not really that knowledgeable on the subject as I am new to the game) I pop the bonnet get out and have a bit of a fiddle, plug leads etc. yesterday same thing and when I got back in it started first click. To it would not even fire! It is almost as though it likes the cold better as if it is the first time it has been started on a given day it likes it to be cold. Strange!!!!
    Any ideas?
    All I know is that it might be something to do with the fuel system as last time I got it serviced (at Auto Paris) they said that I was down on power and that it needed a good clean out and that they could not make it run properly as the afm needed either recalibrating or replacing. All that money they recon it would be between $350-550 depending on the afm.
    Any help that can be given would be appreciated.

Advertisement

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by amcc
    This morning my little baby she just say not today. I get in and turn the key and it cranks over perfectly but does not fire even once. Being mechanically minded (but not really that knowledgeable on the subject as I am new to the game) I pop the bonnet get out and have a bit of a fiddle, plug leads etc. yesterday same thing and when I got back in it started first click. To it would not even fire! It is almost as though it likes the cold better as if it is the first time it has been started on a given day it likes it to be cold. Strange!!!!
    Any ideas?
    It's French

I would be thinking dud connection on the Fuel pump or the fuel pump (or ignition) relay...

So I get home from uni (on the bike) and go out to c what I can c. and yep the fuel pump and whatever that thing is next to it each have about of a cup of dirt on them (I used to live on a dirt road). I gave the wires a bit of a jiggle and thought I would c what I could c under the bonnet. Off with the distributor cap and I scraped some of the crud built up on the contacts with my fingernail (not sure if good idea or not). I noticed that the two contacts that sit down lower when the cap is on had groves cut in them as though the rotor is not spinning in the center of the cap. Is this possible? I put things back together and got in. Starts perfect! Let it run for five or so then turn off. Starts perfect again and then again just for fun! I will take the vacuum cleaner to the dirt on the fuel pump when the car outside my house moves and I can reach it. (saves running extension lead across the road). That is all very good and well. But will it start again in the morning? I will keep you all posted on the behavior of my little Frenchy.

TODAY SHE GOES!!!! HOPEFULLY GOT IT BEAT!

Thread Information