205gti gear linkage
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205gti gear linkage

The gear linkage on my 87 295gti needs to be replaced and I was just wondering what I can expect this to cost and how much I might be able to save if I did it myself? If of course this is something that can be done without too much trouble and achieving a good result.

Advertisement

Default Gear Linkages

I replaced the rods (2 of) on my 205 GTI with genuine Peugeot ones about 6 months ago and from memory cost me about $50, could have been a little less. Just a tip - dont adjust the rods as apparently they come preset in length. I have no mechanical hands on experience and did the job myself with the help of a friends car lift. Takes about 5 minutes to do, you just need to get a good posi under the car.

good luck

Trent, Adelaide.

hey mate,

a little of topic, but is that your white pug i often see parked in a side street just off fitzroy st, near cantebury rd???

Quote Originally Posted by amcc
    The gear linkage on my 87 295gti needs to be replaced and I was just wondering what I can expect this to cost and how much I might be able to save if I did it myself? If of course this is something that can be done without too much trouble and achieving a good result.
    Hey amcc,

Yep easy and relatively cheap job this one. Just be sure to do it when the exhaust is cold, I seem to recall singeing a few hairs last time I did it!
    Regards,
    Matt
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Imagine watching the entire French Air-Force crash into a fireworks factory. That's how much fun this car is."

Jeremy Clarkson - talking about the V6 Clio
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks guys and hello Matt

Quote Originally Posted by rogue
    hey mate,

a little of topic, but is that your white pug i often see parked in a side street just off fitzroy st, near cantebury rd???
    i park on Gore street which is one back toward Brunswick from Smith, near the corner with Jonhston (spelling???). it is near a Fitzroy st but not sure about Cantebury rd. where is that? i am new to the are (start of the year).
    have we got the same fitzroy street? not so sure if we do.

there is actually two different gear linkages in your 205 .
    first one is a set of two that are near the shifter and the second one which goes from the linkage arm bracket to the gear box .
    check before replacing that the bracket is not loose .i bought a set of the two shifter linkages for about $46 from peugeot only to find the bracket was loose .i tightened it up and didnt need the linkage change
    .also the longer linkage arm that goes to the gearbox usually wears beforwe the others ,so i am told by the guys at peugeot.
    mine is a bit worn and i will probably change the lot at once.
    hope this helps=BAZZ

thank you all once again. thanks Bazz i was told that the linkage needed atention (and you sure as hell can feel it) and was going to do it myself to save some $$$. i will check to see that all is snug under there first thoug. my first problem to overcom however is to make the thing start on call as you will see if you check out my other thread in this section.

Thread Information