504/505 interchangeability (thats a big word..lol)
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 504/505 interchangeability (thats a big word..lol)

ok here goes. im doing up a 504, been meaning to for a long long long time, finally the wheels are in motion, well, the wheels are not in motion any more because the car is in bits..............hmmmmm .......... aaaaaaaaaanyway!

who knows about swaping gearboxes between 504's and 505's? namely a 5 speed 505 gearbox into a 504 (a 504 that used to be automatic) ive heard that the diff ratio is differant, does the diff swap easilly? what about the tourqe tube/shaft matter, is that going to be a problem too? or am i better off with a 4 speed 504 box? i know id be better off just sticking with the auto, but ive already got one in another 504 and itd be nice to have a change.

if its a case of re-inventing the wheel then ill just stick with the auto, but i WILL swap the ZF auto for a rebuilt BW auto because french care care quoted me $2000 dollars to rebuild the ZF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALSO!! i heard a rumor that toyo and yokohama make a 190/65/HR390 size TRX equivilent that retails for aound $230 each, is this true???????? if it is then where do i send my money?

Advertisement

thanks!

Gearbox and Diff swapping in a 504 is relatively easy. Manual gearbox from a 2l 505 will fit ok. You will need the 505 gear change and 504 manual clutch pedal, master cylinder and slave cylinder and manual console insert, shift boot and possibly the manual transmission tunnel cover. Should be no problems bolting it into an auto body. Just make sure you have all the parts before you start. You will also need a manual flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. Your torque tube should be ok. Any 504, 505, or 604 diff will be ok. Just pick what ratio you want. 604 rear crossmember will also fit if you are after a wider track. There are many other parts that are also common to 504, 604, and 505.

Jarrod

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

what year model is the 504 you are using ?

if it is an early girl then the tunnel will not be as big as the later auto tunnels in 504's

it will still fit but you may have to keep and eye out when fitting the linkages as they may bind on the the tunnel

all 504 carb sedans had 3.89 diffs in them whether they were auto or manual

505 carb manuals had a 4.11 diff in them

504 TI's had the 3.78 diff in them

604's had 3 ratios
    3.58 and they were all in auto cars
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

its a 1971, fairly oldish............hmmm, interesting.

im lucky enough to have an old manual 504 for parts in the yard with all the master and slave cylinders and pedals etc, but no gearbox or motor, am aware of clutches and flywheels, but what is a shift boot??

thanks for your help, now that i know that im not asking for trouble and it could be worthwhile: i will start waving a tape measure around under the next 505 i see and figure out some stuff.

thanks.

The shift boot is just the rubber of leather boot that covers the gearshift hole. There is also a rubber grommet that goes on the transmission hole cover that the gearshift shaft passes thru. Without these two bits you will get a lot of gearbox noises and oil type smells in the cabin. They are pretty much cosmetic items that finish the job off nicely.

Jarrod

Quote Originally Posted by jarrods
    The shift boot is just the rubber of leather boot that covers the gearshift hole. There is also a rubber grommet that goes on the transmission hole cover that the gearshift shaft passes thru. Without these two bits you will get a lot of gearbox noises and oil type smells in the cabin. They are pretty much cosmetic items that finish the job off nicely.

Jarrod
    I can't add much to the technical side of this discussion.

But i def recommend getting a good grommet. Makes the car quieter and less fumes. Mine was ripped and until i took off the boot off i didn't know.

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Default 504 5 speed

Hi everyone,
    i put a 5 speed into my 504, and it's great for highway cruising. My car was always a manual, and thus the job was a lot easier than doing the same to an automatic. I used a BA10/5 box, and have had some dramas; the speedo cable didn't fit (i used a a Renault 12 cable), i had to put in a 505 gearchange mechanism (i drove round for a few weeks without a boot, so it was very noisy!). The actual job itself isn't too bad, but it takes a bit of time and if you don't do much highway driving i wouldn't bother putting in a 5 speed, a 4 speed does the job pretty well.

Seeya guys,
    Andrew (Dave's bro)
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

hi guys,
    i've also done several gearbox change overs, usually from autos to manual 4 speeds but it depends what i had around at the time.
    because peugeot engineering everything they do, the 4 and 5 speed boxes are the same in almost every aspect. the injected 505's had a different bellhousing but that should be able to be changed to the 4 speed housing. the auto torque tube will have to be changed so a shifter has something to bolt to, but this depends on which shifter you already have. some bolt to the tunnel.
    the 504's have got alot of room around the firewall where the 505's have all that sound proofing so this makes it easy to get to the starter motor bolts and bell housing bolts but i recommend getting a large hammer and modifying the bell housing tunnel once the gearbox and maybe the engine also are out. the tunnel has a little lip hanging down all around the bellhousing. anyone who's tryed to change a box will know what i'm taking able, simple by taking hold of a large hammer, and i also use a cold chissel, start hitting this lip up into itself. it will squash almost fulsh and the gearbox will pretty much fall out next time.
    apart from that, cluches, flywheels, masters, slaves should be all the same.
    FYI, i have also just finished a 505 conversion using a 504 ti engine coupled with a 5 speed. everything fits like it should as you woudl expect.

aaron

Thread Information