Now just to clarrify about the PRV
  • Register
  • Help

Default Now just to clarrify about the PRV

Where the bottom ends through the range of volvo, peugeot and Renult's the same with just differnt top halfs and accesseries...

Im getting a whole hord of conflicting imformation here..

Actually spoke to my mechanic and he nearly slapped me for even thinking aout putting a V6 from the volvo in my pug.. He actually gave one away with 80,000kms on the clock gearbox and all out of a 260 as he couldn't be ****ed with the drama they casue

Like what..

I though it was only the heads and differing inlets that caused all the drama's

He was complaining about them leaking all over the palce.. and not being half as strong as every one seemed to talk up..

Advertisement

He actually suggust i find a Pug PRV.. and put a Rrnult head atop and leave it as such..

so who can clear this cunfundled crap up..?? "whimper"

are the Pug and Volov Even fire bottomes differnt?

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bowie
    Where the bottom ends through the range of volvo, peugeot and Renult's the same with just differnt top halfs and accesseries...

Im getting a whole hord of conflicting imformation here..

Actually spoke to my mechanic and he nearly slapped me for even thinking aout putting a V6 from the volvo in my pug.. He actually gave one away with 80,000kms on the clock gearbox and all out of a 260 as he couldn't be ****ed with the drama they casue

Like what..

I though it was only the heads and differing inlets that caused all the drama's

He was complaining about them leaking all over the palce.. and not being half as strong as every one seemed to talk up..

He actually suggust i find a Pug PRV.. and put a Rrnult head atop and leave it as such..

so who can clear this cunfundled crap up..?? "whimper"

are the Pug and Volov Even fire bottomes differnt?

have a look in the citroen section under the thread about buying a new xantia V6 and look at the sight that i have linked in there

you will find many of the stoires you have been told answered in there but in short the PRV bottem ends from a pug or volvo are the same

you mention volvo to most people and they cringe as volvo had a bad run due to bad servicing of their cars compared to pugs and they also ran taps (brass mind you, now think electrolisis with alloy here and the fact you could never drain the coolant properly compared to the pug variant)

volvo ran 20k services compared to pugs 10k and as such old oil would kill the LH camshaft and rockers (leads to another story)

the oil supply problem is an easy fix and the wear problem is easily avoided by regular oil changes regardless (der we all know that but the bloody volvo makers didn't)
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Cheers mate.. i thought that was what all the gripe was about.. thank you.

Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40

Bowie

If you have accurately represented you mechanic's comments he is not correct. For given years and model the PRVs are identical, all manufaturers offered the same range of sizes and compression options etc and induction systems. The only exception to this was some of the Alpine arrangements.
    FYI someone said that Deloreans were Volvo Motors, this is no more true than to say they were twin plenum K injection motors as in 604 TIs, the sump used in Deloreans was that found in Renualt Alpines or 30s.

The reason Volvo's are most referred to is because of availability, there are just more of them here. For the reasons Pugrambo mentioned above you need to lookout for corrossion and cam failure, by the way this appears not to have been a problem in the 5 even fires (B280s) I have now seen apart.
    OddfireV6
    504 V6 24V, 203

farmerdave

Oil leaks can be prevented by assembling with a very small amount of hylomar- the modular design means that there are plenty of joints.

Service interval- as late as 1980 renault recommended a 7500km change for the PRV,and oil no thicker than 15-40w- maybe they knew something about the engine?. Interval went to 10,000 by 1985 for non-turbo cars.

Farmerdave

Bowie

If you have accurately represented you mechanic's comments he is not correct. For given years and model the PRVs are identical, ......
    well indeedy.. i was a bit complexed after he gave me the coldest shoulder fo all time after i mentined the letters PRV with volvo as the prefix..

Thanks again ..

Thread Information