205 mi 16 question
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default 205 mi 16 question

what is the standard mi 16 mod size of engine for a 205 gti,will the 2 ltr mi16 motor fit in a 205 or just the 1.9 version just out of interest.
    -BAZZ

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    what is the standard mi 16 mod size of engine for a 205 gti,will the 2 ltr mi16 motor fit in a 205 or just the 1.9 version just out of interest.
    -BAZZ
    it cant be done in victoria. and besides that i wouldn't want to see another BX or MI16 go off the road for something like this. if you want reasons for why it cant be done have a search of the board

It fits in relatively easily as it has the same mounts. There may be issues with the inlet manifold, but I'd use a fixed length manifold from a 1.9L. It's 19Kg heavier. Whether you can make it legal is another question. It would be legal in NSW.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    it cant be done in victoria. and besides that i wouldn't want to see another BX or MI16 go off the road for something like this. if you want reasons for why it cant be done have a search of the board
    anything's possible, there are ways around it.

Another BX or MI-16 go off the road....blah, blah. Yep I've been guilty of this as I have a 16v 205. I recently bought a 89 MI-16 for the motor. It's time people faced facts, these cars are getting old and some of them, including the one I got, are really shabby, get over it. Don't get me wrong the MI-16 is a great car, I owned a S2 for a few years, but they will never be regarded a classic outside the French enthusiast circle. I would hate to see nice cars being broken for parts, Jason20's is a really nice example, but a pile of sh1t is a pile of sh1t, besides how else are existing MI-16 owners going to buy cheap parts. I think the only way the MI-16 could possibly obtain classic status is due to rarity, therefore the more that get dismantled the less on the road, the more valuable they become.

I put the one I bought out there for sale and no one wanted it, there's been a few nice cars for sale on Frogs, no one wants them. If people feel so strongly they should put up and buy them, otherwise get over it.

Bring it on........
    Last edited by matt205; 13th August 2004 at 12:49 PM.
    Regards,
    Matt
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Imagine watching the entire French Air-Force crash into a fireworks factory. That's how much fun this car is."

Jeremy Clarkson - talking about the V6 Clio
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by matt205
    Another BX or MI-16 go off the road....blah, blah. Yep I've been guilty of this as I have a 16v 205. I recently bought a 89 MI-16 for the motor. It's time people faced facts, these cars are getting old and some of them, including the one I got, are really shabby, get over it. Don't get me wrong the MI-16 is a great car, I owned a S2 for a few years, but they will never be regarded a classic outside the French enthusiast circle. I would hate to see nice cars being broken for parts, Jason20's is a really nice example, but a pile of sh1t is a pile of sh1t, besides how else are existing MI-16 owners going to buy cheap parts. I think the only way the MI-16 could possibly obtain classic status is due to rarity, therefore the more that get dismantled the less on the road, the more valuable they become.

I put the one I bought out there for sale and no one wanted it, there's been a few nice cars for sale on Frogs, no one wants them. If people feel so strongly they should put up and buy them, otherwise get over it.

Bring it on........

its not just MI16's and BX's but it stands to reason in regards to both. if it can be fixed and put back on the road then do so, if its writen off then fine strip it for parts.Cars like this that are driveable should remain on the road. Anyway who wants 205 MI16 as anything other then a toy, they are not practical as daily drivers. and eventually when people wabt a practical daily driver with a decent amount of power there won't be one to buy, this is allready hapening in europe with the "buy a bx or MI16 put it into a 205 then crash it into a tree crew". in other words, wait until there is a wreack and then use that and i disagree that both the MI16 and BX16v aren't a classic in there own right. personally i couldn't give a damn if i didn't se another 205 MI16 conversion done. the practicality in a car like this is lacking to say the least and a car like this doesn't really need to be on the road and in the end theres going to be as many d*heads driving/crashing high powerd pug 205's as there is stupid idiots as there are in high powerd civics,skylines, silvias, falcodores and supras
    Last edited by orestes; 13th August 2004 at 09:14 PM.

Anyway who wants 205 MI16 as anything other then a toy, they are not practical as daily drivers.
    Why aren't they pratical as daily drivers? In std. form, the Mi16 engine is a very flexible, fuel efficient engine. It has more torque everywhere compared to an 8V engine.

Have you driven one?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    Why aren't they pratical as daily drivers? In std. form, the Mi16 engine is a very flexible, fuel efficient engine. It has more torque everywhere compared to an 8V engine.

Have you driven one?
    the same reasons any (EDIT: small) hatch back lacks practicality. anyway this argument has been had that many times allready why do we need to have it again. why can;'t we just leave decent cars on the road where they should be... use a wreack, use a write off but don't use a car that is still good enough to be on the road . these cars are good as they are, why should they be pulled apart to make a high powerd toy. Don't complain because its cheaper to use a whole car that is driveable then it is to buy an engine, simply put if you can't afford to do it from a car that can't be fixed then you can't afford to do it
    Last edited by orestes; 13th August 2004 at 09:47 PM.

anyway this argument has been had that many times allready why do we need to have it again.
    Because you made a cretinous statement.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

hey guys if ya read my original question which was just out of interest sake,it was
    'can you fit a 2 ltr mi 16 in a 205 or just the 1.9 mi 16 '.
    the question was purerly out of interset as i dont have the money to fit a engine like this let alone the other brake mods ect .
    forgive the knowledge hungry-BAZZ

hey guys if ya read my original question which was just out of interest sake,it was
    the question was purerly out of interset as i dont have the money to fit a engine like this let alone the other brake mods ect .

no worries this is just an ongoing argument that seems to pop up every now again, about wether or not its right to rip the guts out of a perfectly road worthy or fixable car. Don't let it stop you from getting the information you need, its just something that i probably shouldn't have brough up again, especially the amount of times it has come up in the past and not olny as far as 205's are concerned
    Last edited by orestes; 13th August 2004 at 11:25 PM.

no worries this is just an ongoing argument that seems to pop up every now again, about wether or not its right to rip the guts out of a perfectly road worthy or fixable car. Don't let it stop you from getting the information you need, its just something that i probably shouldn't have brough up again, especially the amount of times it has come up in the past and not olny as far as 205's are concerned
    Orestes I know you'll probably take it the wrong way as it's coming from me ( ) but I think you need to let it go mate. If someone wants to do this then they will and I don't think you'll be able to stop them, no matter how hard you try. I think you risk sounding like a religious fanatic at the moment and I appreciate your reasons for such a passionate plea, but I think as you commented, it's been said before.

I just noticed you could be alienating yourself from many people on the forum. No ill-will intended.

Quote Originally Posted by ruckus
    Orestes I know you'll probably take it the wrong way as it's coming from me ( ) but I think you need to let it go mate. If someone wants to do this then they will and I don't think you'll be able to stop them, no matter how hard you try. I think you risk sounding like a religious fanatic at the moment and I appreciate your reasons for such a passionate plea, but I think as you commented, it's been said before.

I just noticed you could be alienating yourself from many people on the forum. No ill-will intended.
    wasn't saying that i'd be able to stop anyone from doing this, i am just saying it would be nice if the fixable and driveable MI16's and BX's stayed on the road. thanks for the heads up anyway
    Last edited by orestes; 17th August 2004 at 12:42 AM.

mate, get over it.

There are hardly any 205 Mi16's in Australia, another 10, 20 or even 100 16v conversions wont affect 405/bx numbers drastically.

They are nowhere near the high powered machines you make them out to be.

Not practical? i prefer my 205 over larger cars, easier to park, more fun to drive, it's all very subjective.

As for potential buyers giving up on the idea because buying parts from a wrecker instead of wrecking a complete car blows it out of their budget, get real..if they can pick up a rough 405 mi16 for 3K they should go for it, i find it a joke that high mileage, 15 year old engines sell for over $2000.

And i love this quote from you: "buy a bx or MI16 put it into a 205 then crash it into a tree crew"

so you're stereotyping anyone with a 205Mi16...nice one bro, might be time you give our ful sik cars a try re
    would've added wog somewhere but wouldn't want you overreacting twice in one thread.

hey guys i ,said this a few posts ago but could someone please answer the ORIGINAL question,
    i thought peter t might know.
    which was,
    CAN YOU FIT A 2 LTR OR JUST THE 1.9 Mi 16 motor IN A 205
    sorry to persistenet but of all the posts on this thread only one has come anywhere near answering the original question.but still didnt answer it.
    please dont use this as a should you/shouldnt you forum.
    there is enough of this argument elsewhere and hey i thought this was a freindly place to visit.
    whether u should wreck a mi16 or bx for the motor wasnt even in the realms of my original question anyway so if any of you nice peugeot people out there could give me the answer, life will surly be worth living agaain[sarc]
    ta veddy mooch-BAZZ

hey guys i ,said this a few posts ago but could someone please answer the ORIGINAL question,
    which was,
    Hey mate sorry for all the dribble in your thread, if you look closely PeterT did answer your question, it has the same mounts - so yes shouldn't be a problem, however you need to use an Mi16 shortened inlet manifold and use a wedge or similar to fix the exhaust angle.
    Basically the same job as a normal mi16 conversion.

Dave

It fits in relatively easily as it has the same mounts. There may be issues with the inlet manifold, but I'd use a fixed length manifold from a 1.9L. It's 19Kg heavier. Whether you can make it legal is another question. It would be legal in NSW.
    thanks dave, i wasnt sure if he meant the 2 ltr will fit on same mounts or the 1.9 will.
    but after rereading i see he did in actual fact answer it .
    as they are wont to say in the ghetto these days-
    sorry man my bad,
    yeah i know it does sound rediculess[spelling?]
    later-BAZZ

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas
    As for potential buyers giving up on the idea because buying parts from a wrecker instead of wrecking a complete car blows it out of their budget, get real..if they can pick up a rough 405 mi16 for 3K they should go for it, i find it a joke that high mileage, 15 year old engines sell for over $2000.
    My predicament exactly, the cheapest I had been quoted for a "bare" motor was $2000, that was from a car with over 280k's with no history. I bought a complete "roughy" for almost half that. As if I would say no and wait for another overpriced, undocumented engine to become available. Here's a car that was posted on this forum that no one else wanted, it was on the verge of going to someone like ASV for wrecking anyway, at least what I've charging for parts is reasonable, there's already a couple of very appreciative MI-16's owners who don't seem to mind me breaking this thing for parts.

As for being practical, mine is far from as it's a race car, but as hatches go the 205 is one of the most practical ever made, a 16v transplant gives it the performance, relaibilty and drivabilty similar to a Clio Sport, in what is still a beautiful looking car.

I agree with Andreas as well regarding stereo-typing 205 16v drivers, I don't think there'd be too many in the doof doof brigade who would even look at a 205 sideways let alone go to the trouble of doing a 16v conversion, has there ever been a 205 in Fast 4's? People who do this conversion generally do it for motor sport or because they are 205 enthusiasts, not for parading down the local main street with the full sik music pumping. We do not live in the UK where 205's lead very different lives and often very different ends.

I noticed you yourself posted last week about the possibilty of doing a 16v conversion, does this mean you are gonna throw yours into a tree? And really if you could buy a "rough but running" MI-16 for just over a grand are you really telling me you wouldn't jump at it? Think before you answer......

I have just sold a truckload of parts which will help get a "nicer" car back on the road, so I guess I'm only half evil. I'd reckon the thing I bought would've needed $2000 just to get it running, and probably 4-5k to make it nice, who is honestly going to bother? As for the classic status I stand by what I said, in my eyes the MI-16 is a classic but I have french blood in my veins, outside the Froggy world it's just another car. As for the BX I love these things too but even some Frog's can't stand the site of them, they will never be classic like an SM or DS.

The thing that gets me everytime with this argument is that inevitably the people whining about it don't own, never have owned any of the cars in question. I still maintain that the rarer a car becomes the more desirable it is likely to be.
    Regards,
    Matt
    "Imagine watching the entire French Air-Force crash into a fireworks factory. That's how much fun this car is."

Jeremy Clarkson - talking about the V6 Clio

I shouldn't have to justify myself, but if it makes you feel any better Orestes, the three engines I own all came from wrecks.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

I shouldn't have to justify myself, but if it makes you feel any better Orestes, the three engines I own all came from wrecks.

If you want to be like that....my first engine was bought new from Peugeot France and the 2nd was from a wreck.

And baz, no probs fitting the 2.0, the T16's been done and it's the same thing minus a few obvious parts.

which was,
    sorry to persistenet but of all the posts on this thread only one has come anywhere near answering the original question.but still didnt answer it.
    please dont use this as a should you/shouldnt you forum.
    there is enough of this argument elsewhere and hey i thought this was a freindly place to visit.
    whether u should wreck a mi16 or bx for the motor wasnt even in the realms of my original question anyway so if any of you nice peugeot people out there could give me the answer, life will surly be worth living agaain[sarc]
    ta veddy mooch-BAZZ
    the 306 S16 engine will fit too. its (basically) the same as the 2L Mi16 engine. as peter mentioned just watch the inlet manifold. there are a number of ways around this.

and someone fitted a 306 GTi6 engine in, which i think has a different inlet manifold again. and i'm sure some one will eventually fit the 206 Gti180 engine in their too. and why not? its the same base engine modified to meet the Kyoto protocol. like our new holden engines which will make their way into nice and shiny BMWs! i thought i should mention that, in keeping with the thread, being off the topic and all!!!
    Renn
    Peugeot 205 s16
    Megane RS 225 Cup

Cal

Quote Originally Posted by matt205
    I still maintain that the rarer a car becomes the more desirable it is likely to be.
    I think that is dependant on a couple of factors. Location, perceived desirability now and how good the things were to begin with. I owned a 1979 Lancia HPE for about 7 years. I would argue it was probably one of the best in Australia when I sold it in 2000. I think I had receipts for about $16k (including purchase price). I was driving a car that was by then very rare. I also perceived it to be desirable. When time came to sell it, I couldn't even get anyone to look at it. I mean for a couple of years. It was in Unique Cars, the trading post, Saturday paper, Lancia websites ect ect. When I finally sold it, I got $3900. I couldn't believe it. Maybe in Victoria it might have been worth more. Point being I don't think rarity automatically makes a car more desirable. Oh and by the way, the bloke who bought it wrote in off within a few months. So much to trying to protect a dying breed.

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    I think that is dependant on a couple of factors. Location, perceived desirability now and how good the things were to begin with. I owned a 1979 Lancia HPE for about 7 years. I would argue it was probably one of the best in Australia when I sold it in 2000. I think I had receipts for about $16k (including purchase price). I was driving a car that was by then very rare. I also perceived it to be desirable. When time came to sell it, I couldn't even get anyone to look at it. I mean for a couple of years. It was in Unique Cars, the trading post, Saturday paper, Lancia websites ect ect. When I finally sold it, I got $3900. I couldn't believe it. Maybe in V ictoria it might have been worth more. Point being I don't think rarity automatically makes a car more desirable. Oh and by the way, the bloke who bought it wrote in off within a few months. So much to trying to protect a dying breed.

Cal.
    i just lent my best maye $1600 to buy a lancia hpe 1976,lots of spares and the inside had been completly uphostered.great car .
    his mum had one for ten years and so he fell in love with them.his dad used to be into the ferrari thing until he lost the job with the big bucks.
    the lancia hpe is an amazing car and its a terrible shame that you had too part the vehicle for so little money.
    we got his cheap cause the guy just couldnt sell it either,
    im glad we got it cheap but not glad he had to part with it for so little money either.
    .people either love em or dont know the exist or dont know what they are mores the pity.
    you might see him and me in it at the next classic adelaide if we can get it together by the next one or failing that the next year.
    see ya BAZZ

Cal

Glad to hear someone is still showing one the love they deserve.

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Default Mi 16

What's the performance difference between the original 205 8v and a 1.9 MI 16 or 2 litre MI 16?
    s

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information