fuel inrichment
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: fuel inrichment

Default fuel inrichment

i am puting a twin turbo even fire in my my 505 sti 1985 and i am going to run the standed ECUs (computers) and i was wanting to know if there was any way of geting the standed computer to enrichen the fuel when undender boost or if you can add on a fuel enrichment system to the exstisting computer or system and does any one know how i can make a fuel enrichment system or where i can bye one and what is the best way to get around this problem so if any one can help me it please pm me or email me on [email protected] or pm me

Advertisement

thanks guys hope you can help me
    cheers
    Last edited by craig latta; 12th August 2004 at 09:14 AM.

Craig thats a familiar sounding idea!

For EFI I suggest you look at the Megasquirt computer (look at there website) and toss the Volvo CPU aside.
    OddfireV6
    504 V6 24V, 203

yes would have to be far easier in the long run just having an aftermakert ECU controlling everything then trying to tell the volvo via some picky back syetem..

The flexability of an ECU will keep you smiling as you up the boost to silly amounts..

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Buy an early fuel only Haltech such as the F3. They go for approx. US$150 on Ebay.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by OddFireV6
    Craig thats a familiar sounding idea!

For EFI I suggest you look at the Megasquirt computer (look at there website) and toss the Volvo CPU aside.
    My Megasquirt kit arrived on Friday, I'll be trying it out on the 205 GTI first.
    After unclipping the original ECU , it still ran and started, today it wouldn't go!!
    Mybe I'll have to fit the Megasquirt before it runs again?
    It does have an immobiliser, pretty badly fitted, maybe a wire has come loose somewhere.

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by craig latta
    i am puting a twin turbo even fire in my my 505 sti 1985 and i am going to run the standed ECUs (computers) and i was wanting to know if there was any way of geting the standed computer to enrichen the fuel when undender boost or if you can add on a fuel enrichment system to the exstisting computer or system and does any one know how i can make a fuel enrichment system or where i can bye one and what is the best way to get around this problem so if any one can help me it please pm me or email me on [email protected] or pm me

thanks guys hope you can help me
    cheers
    Craig,

Let me know how you go with the CPU question. I'm adding turbos to my 505 V6 also, and am presently investigating fuel and ignition control issues. I have the 2.7l odd-fire with K-Jetronic injection. I think the "easy" (read: "easier"?) solution will be to go to L-Jetronic with an after-market computer. I'm told we could run it off the dizzie signal, thus avoiding the challenge of fitting a crank-shaft sensor. Anybody know if that makes sense?

Rob? What do you think?

Regards,
    John Lane.

Quote Originally Posted by aquinian
    Craig,

I think the "easy" (read: "easier"?) solution will be to go to L-Jetronic with an after-market computer. I'm told we could run it off the dizzie signal, thus avoiding the challenge of fitting a crank-shaft sensor. Anybody know if that makes sense?

Rob? What do you think?

Regards,
    John Lane.
    That's correct. The L Jetronic fires off the negative side of the coil (like a tacho). Or in other words, a square wave 12 volt input. Most aftermarket ECU's will fire the same way.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Craig,

Let me know how you go with the CPU question. I'm adding turbos to my 505 V6 also, and am presently investigating fuel and ignition control issues. I have the 2.7l odd-fire with K-Jetronic injection. I think the "easy" (read: "easier"?) solution will be to go to L-Jetronic with an after-market computer. I'm told we could run it off the dizzie signal, thus avoiding the challenge of fitting a crank-shaft sensor. Anybody know if that makes sense?

Rob? What do you think?

Regards,
    John Lane.

did you notice on your block there was a plug in the centre at the rear in the valley that you can place the sensor ?

i know it is hard to get to now and also will be time consuming to get to the flywheel but the provision is there if need be

BTW how is the yella terra going ?
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    That's correct. The L Jetronic fires off the negative side of the coil (like a tacho). Or in other words, a square wave 12 volt input. Most aftermarket ECU's will fire the same way.
    Yes, the megasquirt does this.
    I should have my ZDJL going with this in a matter of days.
    Graham

i also jsut remembered you can also put a sensor on the cover plate at the bottom of the bell housing
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    did you notice on your block there was a plug in the centre at the rear in the valley that you can place the sensor ?

i know it is hard to get to now and also will be time consuming to get to the flywheel but the provision is there if need be

BTW how is the yella terra going ?
    Hi Sean,

Yes, the hole below the plug is for locating top dead centre when you're building the motor. But a sensor has to sense something, so you'd need to attach something (or things) to the flywheel. I think the dizzy feed is easier.

The yellow terror is not nearly terrifying enough. Two WRX turbos ought to fix that, at least for a few months...

Thanks for the reply, Peter. I'm probably going to get the boys at Rotomotion to fit the turbos and tune it. They're legends.

Btw, I spoke to a bloke called Garry Ruben from the S.A. Pug club the other day, and again today, he claims to have a 504 with a supercharged V6 which produces (are you sitting down?) 840bhp at the flywheel. I asked him for the dyno chart and he promised to email it. 0-100 km/h in 3.8 seconds, and sub-10 second quarter miles. And it is licensed. Well, it pretends to be until the cops pull it over...

I am suspending belief on this until I've driven it.

Anybody know Garry Ruben in S.A.?

Cheers,
    John Lane.

Hi Sean,

Yes, the hole below the plug is for locating top dead centre when you're building the motor. But a sensor has to sense something, so you'd need to attach something (or things) to the flywheel. I think the dizzy feed is easier.

The yellow terror is not nearly terrifying enough. Two WRX turbos ought to fix that, at least for a few months...

Thanks for the reply, Peter. I'm probably going to get the boys at Rotomotion to fit the turbos and tune it. They're legends.

Btw, I spoke to a bloke called Garry Ruben from the S.A. Pug club the other day, and again today, he claims to have a 504 with a supercharged V6 which produces (are you sitting down?) 840bhp at the flywheel. I asked him for the dyno chart and he promised to email it. 0-100 km/h in 3.8 seconds, and sub-10 second quarter miles. And it is licensed. Well, it pretends to be until the cops pull it over...

I am suspending belief on this until I've driven it.

Anybody know Garry Ruben in S.A.?

Cheers,
    John Lane.

yes you still have to attach something to the flywheel but there is a hole that is plugged up at the rear of the engine on the vertical face for a pick up to be attached as the later models utilised this

yes i had gary ruben call me one night searching for an alternator for his 604 while he was in crookwell one cold night
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I'm probably going to get the boys at Rotomotion to fit the turbos and tune it. They're legends..
    Say hello to Graeme Stones for me, unless he's sold the business.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Do the 505 STi motors use AFM, MAP or MAF to monitor the airflow?

In either case you can get a piggy back unit to adjust the factory Air flow controller to suit the new turbo application.
    Units like Split Second PSC1-003 (MAF) PSC1-001 (MAP) would do the job, or even the more rice orientated APEXI SAFC units or Unichip on the more expensive side.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by tekkie
    Do the 505 STi motors use AFM, MAP or MAF to monitor the airflow?

In either case you can get a piggy back unit to adjust the factory Air flow controller to suit the new turbo application.
    Units like Split Second PSC1-003 (MAF) PSC1-001 (MAP) would do the job, or even the more rice orientated APEXI SAFC units or Unichip on the more expensive side.
    The STI motor uses a mechanical AFM. This is a mechanical system in spite of the name! The AFM simply varies the amount of fuel flow, the injectors continuously squirt fuel. "K" is the initial for the word meaning continuous in German.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by craig latta
    i am puting a twin turbo even fire ...
    Craig,

How did you go? Any progress? And what about ignition control?

Cheers,
    John Lane.

con
    Fellow Frogger!

Hi Sean,

John,

The 505 evenfire "LHjet" uses the square cutouts on the circumference of the flywheel to determine the top dead centre (and timing). See attachment.
    I do have a factory description somewhere; if only I could lay my hands on it....

con....
    Last edited by con; 12th March 2006 at 09:45 PM.

Default Even fire V6

I would suggest nothing less than a complete fuel and ignition ECU used in conjunction with standard injectors (I'm told that Volvo injectors are always more than adequate for factory power outputs), and a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. If boost is involved the last thing you want is a damaged piston due to lean mixtures under load. If it was me I'd be more than willing to spend the extra cash on a fully remappable (fuel and ignition)ECU as you can milk a lot more power from your engine and it also gives you the ability to retard timing at exact load points if you detect detonation. The ECU I have on my car (505GR with GTi motor, approx 160hp) uses the standard reluctor type distributor as a trigger. The only mod needed is to remove the vacuum and mechanical advance. I don't know much about the V6 (at least that it has 6 cylinders) but if it has the same type of distributor this may help.

Thread Information