404 Five Speed
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 404 Five Speed

Tadpole

Default 404 Five Speed

My ute gearbox is suffering and due for bearings. I have heard that someone in Melbourne has fiitted a 5 speed with column shift. Was it successful and did the tunnel have to be enlarged?
    The BA7-5 has the gate shifter out the back of the housing close to the rubber mount and I don't see how to link that to the column - is the BA10 different in the linkage layout?
    No doubt I could chop a hole and fit a floor shift but I won't be doing that. Can it be done with the linkage still working in its original lightweight style?

Advertisement

Chris,

404 hypoid diff in sedan

Check out this thread. I came across it looking for something else today. The guy is putting a STI motor in a 404 with a BA7 5 and is keeping the column shift. I don't know whether he ever finished or not but its probably worth chasing up. Also a BA10 5 speed wont fit as the rear gearbox mount wont fit.

Jarrod

Geoff Battersby has done it, for one. And though he says he wouldn't do it again, I don't see why not.

The main lever on the side of the box has to be changed from one side to the other (there is provision for that) and you need to make clearance in the tunnel for this and for the reverse gear housing etc.

Definitely not impossible...

Tadpole

Is Geoff in the PCCV? I am prepared to modify the tunnel if it doesnt involve removing the reinforcing plates where the rubber mount bolts up. I'll get an extension housing and look at the selectors to see what you mean there.

Chris

Thread Information