driled or dimpled?
  • Register
  • Help

Default driled or dimpled?

has anyone heard of or better still used QUINTEN HAZELL cross drilled and slotted rotors on their 205 or similar car?
    these were recomended to me by the very fine people out at euro auto imports in box hill.
    i was always told to steer clear of drilled discs,these are cross drilled[drilled at angle i think]
    so are supposed to be different.
    ebc sell slotted and dimpled discs which are supposed to fix the problems generally associated with drilled discs.[cracking at high temp]
    im a bit confused as which party to beleive,the car is only used on the road but it needs new rotors and the aftermarket ones are affordable and look like they are constructed a lot more robust than standard pug rotors.
    please feel free to add your 2 cents worth
    ps ill be using the mintex pads im just about to buy of moosey-BAZZ

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

i have been told by a source i trust, that the cross drilled may brack under high temps, so the dimples are better. also, the slots should go all the way to the edges otherwise they are basically just elongated dimples. this makes sense to me, as it give the gas somewhere to escape. i have also been told by a couple of WRX guys that Suburu recommends not using cross drilled discs, only dimpled, especially in competition. thats my

I'd steer clear of cross drilled aswell. Sure they look good but are really more than you need and are more likely to crack when compared to non drilled of the metal quality. In your 205 you're not going to run out of brakes so long as you use good quality DOT4+ fluid and good pads.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Fellow Frogger!

word up to that brad.
    i must say, the only cars i can actually recall having cross drilled rotors have usually had drums on the rear painted yellow or red or some similar offensive colour, and have, without exception, had an exhaust system on them that was way too big and loud, even for a truck, and were slow and sounded like [email protected]#t.

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    has anyone heard of or better still used QUINTEN HAZELL cross drilled and slotted rotors on their 205 or similar car?
    these were recomended to me by the very fine people out at euro auto imports in box hill.
    i was always told to steer clear of drilled discs,these are cross drilled[drilled at angle i think]
    so are supposed to be different.
    ebc sell slotted and dimpled discs which are supposed to fix the problems generally associated with drilled discs.[cracking at high temp]
    im a bit confused as which party to beleive,the car is only used on the road but it needs new rotors and the aftermarket ones are affordable and look like they are constructed a lot more robust than standard pug rotors.
    please feel free to add your 2 cents worth
    ps ill be using the mintex pads im just about to buy of moosey-BAZZ
    I have these rotors on my Mi 16. I've had no real problems with them and the performace is good( Certainly better than the old standard ones I had) The one problem is that they need to warm up a little to be effective.
    Unless you were using them for race applications I would doubt very much if you'd get anywhere near the temps that would cause any damage. In fact the cross drilling helps to cool the pads down. Comparing them to a recent trip down the Clyde Mountain, I had no brake fade after a "spirited" run, were as before I'd have to back off a little.

The price was certainly right anyway.

Good luck
    Ky

Quote Originally Posted by 3006882
    word up to that brad.
    i must say, the only cars i can actually recall having cross drilled rotors have usually had drums on the rear painted yellow or red or some similar offensive colour, and have, without exception, had an exhaust system on them that was way too big and loud, even for a truck, and were slow and sounded like [email protected]#t.
    ..yeah, someone should teach those Porsche and AMG owners a lesson in OEM products.....lo.-Chris

ps, sorry, I should explain. Alot of VERY high performace cars match the pad type, size, compound and application through long and pricy R&D, hence we shouldn't just bag cross-drilling as they work very well when used or applied correctly.
    Last edited by CHRI'S16; 9th August 2004 at 01:03 PM.
    ... ptui!

I agree Chris. I was really only to aftermarket products such as DBA and EBC etc where they are sinply selling one part of the overall braking system.

With regard to Porsche and their braking systems, an article in EVO was recently written discussing ther carbon composite brakes. Apparently the disks have been cracking under extreme trackday use with the repair bill for all 4 disks and sets of pads over 27,000 pound!!!!
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    I agree Chris. I was really only to aftermarket products such as DBA and EBC etc where they are sinply selling one part of the overall braking system.

With regard to Porsche and their braking systems, an article in EVO was recently written discussing ther carbon composite brakes. Apparently the disks have been cracking under extreme trackday use with the repair bill for all 4 disks and sets of pads over 27,000 pound!!!!
    .. well so they should. I read an article in "jealous ego weekly" that stated that all smug rich folks should pay up....ha.
    Seriously though, to everything there is a compromise; composites for road cars/oem is still in a young, growth period, just like ABS, EFi once was, so they might cost now, but will either be phased out or technology will make them cheaper...-Chris
    ... ptui!

Thread Information