Car Care - Electric Buffers
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    1000+ Posts

Default Car Care - Electric Buffers

I'll be doing some work on a friends car... its old, not cared for...
    So i'll need to use a bit of the ol Scratch X & a lot of the Klasse...
    (and i'll be doing my RSC with Klasse every year anywho!)

So i'm after an electric buffer...
    Something nice & soft & easy to control etc...
    And not made in China!

PS. I can use power tools (i'm from da c'ntry), and am aware that a little mis-hap turns into a large problem QUICKLY when using anything with a power cord!

Just a quick mention of Brand, Model & why!

Cheers!

Advertisement

Edit: oh, & a rough price too!
    Last edited by nate; 6th August 2004 at 04:00 PM.

I use a DeWalt DW443. Very similar to the Porter cable that they recommend over at Autopia.org

Was the only product on the Australian market that met the power needs. Then you need to get some good quality levelling pads.

A random orbital is very easy to use...actually, if you ask nicely, I could just lend you mine... just buy me a replacement backing, as they tend to fatigue after detailing a car or two.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...?productID=125

if you were looknig for something cheap i'd say go to super cheap because they sell buffers there sometimes

XTC

Don't be a big girls blouse ... wax on - wax off, you can get a great result without a buffer and a lot less risk.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Don't be a big girls blouse ... wax on - wax off, you can get a great result without a buffer and a lot less risk.

- XTC206 -
    There's no risk in using a random orbital. You'd have to be trully stupid to damage your car with one.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    There's no risk in using a random orbital. You'd have to be trully stupid to damage your car with one.
    BS ... In 30 seconds with 1 piece of unfortunate grit under the cloth (cause of sheer bad luck or stupidity) you can do more damage then I care to think of and the biggest draw back to machines polishing your car, you do not have the dexterity or tactileness to feel a problem happening. You telling me something that is oscillating at approx 5000 times per minute you can actually FEEL what’s going on? Doing it by hand is hard work, never suggested it was easy, but if it's a risk your willing to take that's fine, your paint work not mine.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    BS ... In 30 seconds with 1 piece of unfortunate grit under the cloth (cause of sheer bad luck or stupidity) you can do more damage then I care to think of and the biggest draw back to machines polishing your car, you do not have the dexterity or tactileness to feel a problem happening. You telling me something that is oscillating at approx 5000 times per minute you can actually FEEL what’s going on? Doing it by hand is hard work, never suggested it was easy, but if it's a risk your willing to take that's fine, your paint work not mine.

- XTC206 -
    OK, there is risk, just a very small one. I'm of the opinion that there is minimal risk on a completely clean car.

Note, you are washing, claying and then using a random orbital on the car. There's minimal risk of getting something under the pad, but yes, there is a risk there. Not enough to concern me, though.

Here is an article on using a random orbital: http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=24

I have a video of David at work too, if you'd like to see them in action.

Yes, using your hand is a low risk solution, but it'd take ages to get to the same level as a random orbital. I also think that hand polishing has some high risk too, especially in the hands of someone a few chips short of a pack.

Using a rotary is a completely different matter and you can damage your paint within seconds with one of those.

Here's an article specifically on hte Porter Cable:

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=47

I have a Porter Cable 7424 and a R.U.P.E.S. rotary buffer. If you have a little bit of common sense I would suggest you go with a good speed controlled rotary with the correct foam pads, they achieve good results a lot quicker than the PC, but they are not cheap. Go to the Autopia site and do a bit of research and it will be very hard to go wrong. Wool pads can do a lot of damage in inexperienced hands and aren't really recommended for clear coat finishes. Have fun,

Terry

hey I've been wondering about getting myself a Porter Cable and getting a friend to bring it over to Sydney for me. Only thing is would it be a diff voltage? Would a simple travel adaptor be enough to get it to work in Australia ?
    1994 306 S16 sold but not forgotten
    2004 Clio 182 current

Have a look on the following site at the sat180 and sp18va.
    The sp18va is the better of the two, and isvariable speed.
    http://www.hitachi-powertools.com.au...ander-menu.htm
    Last edited by Kyle; 19th March 2006 at 07:28 PM.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slick
    hey I've been wondering about getting myself a Porter Cable and getting a friend to bring it over to Sydney for me. Only thing is would it be a diff voltage? Would a simple travel adaptor be enough to get it to work in Australia ?
    no you'd need a mighty good step down transformer! ($$$)
    See if you can get a DeWalt DW443-AU, they're superb!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle

Once you have done that send me an email and I can give you a very good price

[email protected]
    Go the SP18va ... It looks like a proper sander polisher... No random orbital function (just like my Makita). You need to learn how to not burn paint egdes off like a man ( ie: woops woops ... woops )

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Once you have done that send me an email and I can give you a very good price
    Thanks for that - I'll email you closer to my purchase date and once I know what whant - I'm contemplating getting something like that but in a couple of months. Can you give me a RRP for those products to know roughly what to expect. They dont look like they're dual action random orbital sanders like the porter cable I was looking at ?The porter cable is $200US with a nice set of SFX pads. The postage is $60 approx so it's looking quite expenisve when you add some more bits and pieces.

I've heard the DeWalt DW443-AU has been discontinued but that was supposed to be the Australian version of the Porter Cable I was looking at... Anyway I'll keep thinking about it...
    Last edited by slick; 23rd July 2005 at 07:11 PM.
    2004 Clio 182 current

Re adaptors to use USA polishers in Oz..
    Following on from Nate's post.. adaptors are usually to enable odd shaped plugs to fit into ozzie power points, and if there is a voltage adaptor built in it is only for low current drain appliances like shavers.
    Current drain for a polisher which has a series wound type motor which is needed for torque would be too high and as Nate said would require a step down transformer which are in effect a lump of iron and copper and no doubt something to trip over.. And aren't cheap...and the other thing is ozzie AC is 50hz whereas yankee AC is 60hz which may affect to motor's performance

Decca
    Present --2016 2008Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast, now with A/T tyres...)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

RRP on the sp18va is about 360 odd... but i can do them for around 250 odd...

SO a pretty good saving

thanks for that Kyle and Decca for clearing up my concern. I was guessing a travel adaptor would not be enough.

I think I might have found something that I could get easily in Australia. It's about $50.

http://www.travelgear.com.au/K-SDT98.html

I thought a few ppl on this forum said they had a Porter Cable... can anyone of those ppl plz comment on the step down transformer they have - or is there an Aussie version of this power tool.
    2004 Clio 182 current

actually that's for small appliences so I probably need something a little bigger if I end up getting the Porter Cable...
    2004 Clio 182 current

Fellow Frogger!

If on a budget the GMC NLEROS is great $38 from Big W, just did my car with some pads I got from the US, great results and really easy to use
    05' Megane 225 Cup

Slick..
    That adapter on the travelgear link wouldnt work
    It gives a 110 -120 volt output but only 200milliamps which equals 24watts
    (VA = watts. Power = Volts x Amps)
    The Hitachi SP18va polisher, for example, is rated at 1250 watts

Decca
    Present --2016 2008Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast, now with A/T tyres...)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

I use the hitashi FSV13Y on the site Kyle linked to above, in conjunction with foam polishing pads from Meguiars. For a really oxidized car I'd be using Meguiars Heavy Cut Cleaner followed up with swirl free polish, then a wax. I have restored a couple of cars using this method but I will say it is hard work with the random orbit, and you don't get a perfect finish, but it will be a lot better than before ... I think meguiars have some even more aggressive compounds, but I haven't tried them.

I damaged my car with the random orbit, but not in a way you would expect.... I sat it on the roof and went to get the bottle of cleaner, and it toppled over and dented the roof (probably the weight of the power cord)... Yeah so it was probably a stupid thing to do (I now keep a chair nearby to put the polisher on), but not something I thought about till it was too late

Oh and the other thing when you are using one of these type devices sling the power cord over your shoulder so that it can't rub on any panels

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Wintermute...

Did you know that Meguiars actually recommend the FSV13Y for buffing...
    They bought a heap off us for testing a while back, and it proved to work best for them..

I'll be getting a sp18va on loan soon to do my car, but i'll most likely spend 1/2 day taking it very easy

Wintermute...

Did you know that Meguiars actually recommend the FSV13Y for buffing...
    They bought a heap off us for testing a while back, and it proved to work best for them..

I'll be getting a sp18va on loan soon to do my car, but i'll most likely spend 1/2 day taking it very easy
    hehehe I've never been game to take to my car with a proper buffer, I know I'd get impatient and end up with burn marks

Yep that's how I found out about the FSV13Y I really don't like what Meguiars have done to their web site. Virtually none of the professional products are represented anymore. They used to have a video (broadband required!!) which demonstrated doing a car with the orbital buffer).

I thought I wouldn't be able to get fine cut cleaner (or possibly even the pads anymore, but when I went in to their headquarters at Silverwater they still had the entire proefessional range, I asked if they were discontinuing it, and they said no it's very popular! I guess they are keeping it for those in the know, and not advertising it, and pushing the newer more consumer oriented products instead.

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

damn...

I've found a step down transformer for the porter cable able to cope with 500W (3.7amps motor for PC 7424 x 110volts) - but it's nearly $200. It's beginning to look like an Australian Hitachi SP18va is gonna be heaps cheaper when you factor in other things like transport costs and import duty (not sure how that works - most things I've bought from US have been small value so far and havent had to pay)

Car detailing is becoming a bit of an expensive hobby for me and I'm doing things by hand so far... I'm pretty happy with the results after a hole day hard at work but I know it could look even better with something like the PorterCable. And I'd probably be able to do a few cars on the same day (damn I've just realised I'd probable need extra pads to cope with the extra cars)
    2004 Clio 182 current

Whats so special about this porter cable thing anyway?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information