15" wheels on a gti 180
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 15" wheels on a gti 180

Hi Fellas

Just got a question, does any one know whether you can fit 15" wheels to a gti 180? I am not sure if they will clear the brake calipers. This is just out of curiosity as I am weighing up the idea of getting a set of 15" wheels with 205/50/15 road legal R compound tyres.

btw does anyone know how much 205/50/15 road legal R compound tyres go for?

Tanx in advance!

Advertisement
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

Quote Originally Posted by bad_karma
    Hi Fellas

Just got a question, does any one know whether you can fit 15" wheels to a gti 180? I am not sure if they will clear the brake calipers. This is just out of curiosity as I am weighing up the idea of getting a set of 15" wheels with 205/50/15 road legal R compound tyres.

btw does anyone know how much 205/50/15 road legal R compound tyres go for?

Tanx in advance!
    $300+ per corner for Yokohama AO32R's.

Jeff
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

Zen managed to fit 15's on his 180 for a trackday recently;

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by macquered
    Zen managed to fit 15's on his 180 for a trackday recently;

Awesome!!!

Are those wheels in the photo the standard wheels on the peugeot 206? If so cool. I am guessing then its a case of getting tyres to fit? Does anyone know what tyres hes running in the photo?
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

And there are some 15s from a CC for sale at the moment. Chuck away the tyres on there and get R copmounds on there. I'd be very curious to know how the 180 would perform on 15s.

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    And there are some 15s from a CC for sale at the moment. Chuck away the tyres on there and get R copmounds on there. I'd be very curious to know how the 180 would perform on 15s.
    You'd want 195/55/15 rather than 205/50. They're too baggy on a 6" rim. They're $260 for A032's and a bit less for Formula R's. Even some steel wheels from a 405/406 would do.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    You'd want 195/55/15 rather than 205/50. They're too baggy on a 6" rim. They're $260 for A032's and a bit less for Formula R's. Even some steel wheels from a 405/406 would do.
    Are you sure that 405/406 wheels have the required offset?
    Bad_Karma

Fellow Frogger!

Are you sure that 405/406 wheels have the required offset?
    Oops forgot to say got a quuote for toyo r881's 195/55/15 for $235. Anyone had any experience with toyo r881's are they any good?
    Bad_Karma

I'm sure the offset wouldn't be a problem. If they hang a bit wide it will only improve your track. A bit narrow and fit a wheel spacer. It will only be a few mm either way in any case. What offset is the 206?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Zen

Hey guys,

I'm running a set of 306 S16/XSi 15" rims with Silverstone S575 195/50/15 semi slicks. The rims I got off briz205 and Cal sold me his semi slicks which didn't fit on his MX5. Big thanks to both. I've got about 3mm clearance from the caliper to the inside of the rim. Technically, it seems any clearance is fine, I even had a good look at a 406 Coupe's Brembo brake setup and there's probably 5mm clearance and that's standard. Definitely go for 195 on 15" as PeterT mentioned, I swear I was losing time with 205's on my S16. Grip level is improved and I don't get as much traction loss coming out of the flip flops at QR. I matched my previous best time in the one run I've had with them and I was still sussing out the grip levels and hampered a bit by traffic... plus the two cars that spun out in front of me.

Rich

codito ergo sum == code monkey

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

Fellow Frogger!

Hey fellas

I am aware that street tyres would last about 4-5 track days. But does anyone know what the life expectancy of R comound tyres are like? The ones that I am looking at are toyo r881's and they go for about $230 each for 195/50/15's. How many track days do you guys reckon you could get out of em.

Thanks for the info so far!
    Bad_Karma

XTC

So what's "generally" lighter .. 15" steelies or 15" alloys ?

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206

- XTC206 -
    I would think that steel wheels would be lighter, but I am not sure about qany brake cooling effect that they may have. Anyone else here use racing compound tyres and what has been their experience with them, in terms wear characteristics and general usage.
    Bad_Karma

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206

- XTC206 -
    I think alloys would be, generally speaking.

Fellow Frogger!

At Holden (Elizabeth Production Line) the boys in 516/8-TyreFit were telling me they prefer putting on the 15" steelies because they were so much lighter than all the alloys. Obviously being the skeptic i am - i picked a few up and the difference is phenomenal.

HOWEVER, with a manufacturer like OZ-Racing or Konig you're looking at 4-5kg's for a 15x7. That is light, but well designed with an inherent strength through multi-spoke layout

Quote Originally Posted by XsaraVTS
    At Holden (Elizabeth Production Line) the boys in 516/8-TyreFit were telling me they prefer putting on the 15" steelies because they were so much lighter than all the alloys. Obviously being the skeptic i am - i picked a few up and the difference is phenomenal.

HOWEVER, with a manufacturer like OZ-Racing or Konig you're looking at 4-5kg's for a 15x7. That is light, but well designed with an inherent strength through multi-spoke layout
    Oh OK, that's interesting to know. I know you can get very heavy badly designed alloys, but I thought on average the alloy woud be lighter.

Hey fellas

I am aware that street tyres would last about 4-5 track days. But does anyone know what the life expectancy of R comound tyres are like?
    On a car a bit smaller than the 205 on Yokies A032R, I did 130 timed laps at Wakefield (I have record of those), probably another 50 or so untimed fast laps, 5 rounds of superpsrints, 2 training sessions at Eastern Creek and Oran Park, and they are still usable (albeit far from road legal - front tyres have a hint of groves in them and look a lot more like a slick then a road tyre). Nowdays they take more than 3 laps to come to temp.
    New tyres definately grip better and take less time to come to the right temp.
    Last edited by tekkie; 10th August 2004 at 11:39 AM.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    Oh OK, that's interesting to know. I know you can get very heavy badly designed alloys, but I thought on average the alloy woud be lighter.
    There was a thread around here somewhere about the weights.
    I think the gist of it was that the steel has much higher resistance to failing under stress and hence there can be a lot less material to perform the same function as the alloy wheel where extra ribbing etc must be added. The limitation of steel rims is their flexibility under extreme cornering.

The "alloys" that cost an arm and a leg are actually magnesium compunds offering great weight savings over alluminium "alloys".

I guess you get what you pay for.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by tekkie
    On a car a bit smaller than the 205 on Yokies A032R, I did 130 timed laps at Wakefield (I have record of those), probably another 50 or so untimed fast laps, 5 rounds of superpsrints, 2 training sessions at Eastern Creek and Oran Park, and they are still usable (albeit far from road legal - front tyres have a hint of groves in them and look a lot more like a slick then a road tyre). Nowdays they take more than 3 laps to come to temp.
    New tyres definately grip better and take less time to come to the right temp.
    Thanks for the info tekkie! It's good to see that such tyres have good wear characteristics and last a while. It may be a good idea for me to look into a set of race tyres so that when I want to go to the track I dont prematurely waste my street tyres
    Bad_Karma

..... so that when I want to go to the track I dont prematurely waste my street tyres
    You'll also improve your lap times 3-5 secs. per lap.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

what size tyres n rims do all you guys run...

i'm finding it difficult to get 195/55/15's and I thought this was the common size. 205/50's are plentiful... but i want to be able to drive to the track with the r-compound already on...and not get pinged by Mr Copper

And if anyone runs 17's how easy are 205/40's to find ?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    You'll also improve your lap times 3-5 secs. per lap.
    I dont know what sort of tyres you must have been running before, but the 5 sec per lap is a big call !

At wakefield my times "jumped" by 1.5 secs from super hard Dunlop "sport"98 to A032R's. That was with standard everything and only tyre change. I went from flat 1:22's to high 1:20's.

Quote Originally Posted by XsaraVTS
    what size tyres n rims do all you guys run...

i'm finding it difficult to get 195/55/15's and I thought this was the common size. 205/50's are plentiful... but i want to be able to drive to the track with the r-compound already on...and not get pinged by Mr Copper

And if anyone runs 17's how easy are 205/40's to find ?
    Give Gordon Leven at Emu Plains, or Blair's Tyres at Narrellan a call. If they cannot organise the size you want you probably wont be able to get it at all without paying someone to import them.

--edit--
    in Adelaide try Jack Baker Tyre Service 08 8410 1312 for Toyo's.

Trampio R888, Proxes R881 they come in 195/55x15 and 205/50x15 , Proxes RA-1 come in 205/50x15. 17's are just as easy to find. But bring your credit card with big credit limit on it to the shop.
    Last edited by tekkie; 11th August 2004 at 09:42 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

Just got off the phone with my insurer (nrma) checking what the deal is with using aftermarket wheels. All they seem to care about is that the tyre/wheel width is not larger than what came with the car.

Interestingly enough, it says in RTA regs that replacement wheels must be greater than or equal to in width of the original supplied ones. Load rating must be equal to or better than original supplied tyres and, that the speed rating can be lower than original supplied tyres but must have a speed rating greater than 140 kliks.

I think that gti 180 wheels are 17x7 (correct me if I am wrong). Does any one know what the wheel width of the 15" wheels on the 206cc is?
    Bad_Karma

Fellow Frogger!

most of the psa-peugeot-citroen vehicles that run 15" rims run the 6" width.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information