Torx sockets needed...
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Torx sockets needed...

Howdy,

Does anyone know where you can buy a set of reasonably priced Torx sockets (female)?

(My wife's just bought a 2002 Astra and most of the nuts on the thing are Torx. BTW are these on 307's, Clio's etc? I had to look into why they used them, thinking it was entirely to prevent the average joe working on the car, but apparently they can take more torque, can still be driven at full torque with the tool at 15 degrees angle, are almost impossible to round off - plus the tools have a chamfer to facilitate automated tools in the factory.)

Cheers

Stuey

Advertisement

Try Bunnings, they usually have selections of cheap assortments of mixed bit sets which include a range of Torx type bits.

Renault have used Torx screws on 12's since the 12 of 1976, it did cause lots of problems at the time. Prior to that though there are the Tacl screws (those weird rectangular shaped screw heads) on things like the plenum chamber and door latches of really early 12's and 16's (prior to being replaced by Torx screws). So Renault really are no stranger to odd screw design.

And as you have found, it was to facilitate and speed up car production with mechanical tools.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

any tool store should have them from around $15 and up

pugs have been using them from around the 77/78 onwards so i'd say most other froggies and other makes would as well

i know my 306 is full of them hence the reason i bought some
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

1000+ Posts

Thanks. Yeah, my R12 only has them holding the mirrors on. Actually, I've tried Bunnings, but they only have male Torx drivers. I bought these, but they are a bit crappy. So I bought some good male ones (Minimax) on eBay for $15 - these were critical because even the sump plug is a Torx drive! I've actually found some female ones (ie. like normal sockets) in tool shops but they are pretty pricey compared to the male ones. Weird.

I suppose I'm trying to be too much of a tight arse...

Cheers

Stuey

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    I suppose I'm trying to be too much of a tight arse...
    Try a Chinese socket set and a hammer :-)

1000+ Posts

I take your point, Simon but the female sockets are three times the price of the male drivers.

Oh, on thinking about it, that DOES make sense...

Stuey

Jaycar sell a set that covers a wide range. Replace the ones you break with Snap-ons.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

1000+ Posts

Thanks Peter. Unfortunately, Jaycar's sets only have male Torx drivers - I'd already looked at these as I've got their catalogue. And they have to go up to the equivalent of about a 15mm sized socket, as these are used all over the car wherever there's a nut, basically. For example, every nut/bolt on the engine...

Stuey

Are you sure they are Torx?

Maybe a regular 12-point socket fits them?

Tried Repco?
    They have some very weird business practices these days but they do make a variety of tools and have a range of Hobby as well as Trade quality stuff and often supply the unusual.
    Unfortunately they often have problems with their calculators as it seems when they hit the "+" key it tends to "X"

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

1000+ Posts

Ray; I'm sure they're Torx. By twelve point, you mean like 'normal' nuts but with twelve flats, don't you? These ones have six in a 'rounded star' formation. They're not everywhere, but most of the nuts on the engine unit are Torx, including things like water pump nuts and alternator mountings.

Alan; yeah, I tried Repco. I've actually found a Kincrome set today for $38 which should do the job...

Thanks all

Stuey

I mean that there would be twelve points on the nuts rather than flats... so that a 12-point socket would simply fit right on them.

Many aircraft nuts and bolts are made like that... are these really different?

Tadpole

even the head engine bolts are Torx , i live in Israel and the last month needed to open the head so ibought the socket from the importer of KOKEN
    (you shuld have one too)
    which make some of the best sockets in the world but the female socket was
    cheaper then the male one but stel close defenetly not 3 time more

1000+ Posts

Ahhh, yes, now I know what you mean, Ray. I have a couple of twelve point sockets knocking around. They enjoy about the same availability as Torx, though, at least around these parts. Plus, the Torx socket has a distinct taper around the hole which enables it to seat properly on the taper at the base of the Torx head. (This is due to the automated factory tools having tapers to seat properly).

These are definitely different to a twelve point nut, having rounded points and valleys. I reckon a twelve point socket could slip, taking the points off, if used on a tight bolt with a Torx head.

The Kincrome set ended up being $26 for a ten socket set on a rail (sockets only) - sizes E-4 to E-18. There's another set E-19 to E-bloody big.

Oh, and they fit nice and snugly, so they are definitely Torx heads on the car. Now to take that head off for a quick squiz...

Cheers

Stuey

Thread Information