205 brake update
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 brake update

Does anyone have any thoughts on updating my 1987 s1 205 gti front brakes for something better than standard and any thoughts on converting my rear drum brakes to discs . all i hope with the mininimum of fuss.any aftermerket whole brake set ups that will fit?
    any multi pot brake calipers that anyone knows of that will fit
    .anybody tried ebc slotted and dimpled discs on their 205 gti's?
    .am i right thinking that someone put 406 or 306 brakes all round?thanks for your thoughts -BAZZ [email protected] froggy site or 0418126691

Advertisement

I have been using EBC greenstuff on my race car now for 2 years and have found they are fantastic. They did develop a bit of vibration last ime out at eastern creek but found that a bit of wet and dry sort the issue out. I have just installed the EBC slotted rototrs but have yet to race with them.

On my previous 205 I used DBA slotted with greenstuff and had no problems.

I dont believe you need an upgrade with an 8v, you might want to consider a willwood setup if you are pushing out 200hp +.

I am still running the drums at the back and wish I had less braking power at the back. Dont bothr with rear discs. You will only lock them up more.

BTW: The DBA ctalogue is incorrect, they list the same rotor for s1 to s3 cars, which is correct for UK produced cars. But in Australia the S1 and S2 cars had 1.6gti running gear. EBC are the only one that carry 1.6gti discs.
    90 205 Gti Cherry Red(Track Car)
    2009 207gti
    1985 505gti (Shitbox Rally) Sold

PBs:

Oran Park: 1:27:9
    Wakefield: 1:05.6 (July 2015)
    Eastern Creek: 1:54 (8v) 1:48 (16V)
    Mt Huntley: 34.44 (2004 stock 205)
    Ringwood: 35.06 (30/10/2005)
    Winton: 1:33.6 (2017)

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    Does anyone have any thoughts on updating my 1987 s1 205 gti front brakes for something better than standard and any thoughts on converting my rear drum brakes to discs . all i hope with the mininimum of fuss.any aftermerket whole brake set ups that will fit?
    .am i right thinking that someone put 406 or 306 brakes all round?thanks for your thoughts -BAZZ [email protected] froggy site or 0418126691

there were series 3 205 GTI's fited with discs allround so you wouldn't nescesarly need to look at an aftermarket setup if you wanted to upgrade your rears to discs... that said however, drum brakes generally give you better stoping power until they fade so in reality unless your going to race the thing i wouldn't bother with putting discs on the back... thats just my thoughts.... if you wanted to go to a fair bit of trouble you MAY also be able to source the ABS system from europe off a late series 3 GTI
    Last edited by orestes; 23rd July 2004 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by parry
    I am still running the drums at the back and wish I had less braking power at the back. Dont bothr with rear discs. You will only lock them up more.
    Actually the reverse is probably true. Drums are renowned for locking up suddenly, whereas discs are usually more progressive.

Almost every drum brake equipped car I've had has had wheel lock up problems when driven hard, whereas the 4 wheels disc cars have been very predictable.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by davemcbean
    Actually the reverse is probably true. Drums are renowned for locking up suddenly, whereas discs are usually more progressive.

Almost every drum brake equipped car I've had has had wheel lock up problems when driven hard, whereas the 4 wheels disc cars have been very predictable.

Dave
    Dave, I agree. In fact, probably the only reason for fitting discs is to avoid rear wheel lock up.
    I can't imagine the GTI brakes being inadequate if you have good pads. My SI brakes are just fine with Disc Tech pads from EAI. The same pads on vented discs would be fine for anything short of repeated stopping at the end of Con Rod.

I must say, however, before fitting these pads to the SI it would fade the brakes after only a few hard stops, pads are the key to stopping.

Graham wallis

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    Dave, I agree. In fact, probably the only reason for fitting discs is to avoid rear wheel lock up.

Graham wallis
    They still lock up. You need a bias valve, set 99% front, 1% rear.

I thought brakes were weight dependent, not hp.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

I just back the drums off when I race.

They basically do nothing.

Default 205 brakes

well it looks like i opened up a can of worms here,im now more confused than ever,could someone who has done this set up reply on costs hassles involved ,where to get rear disc set up,o k so wat is it discs on the rear or stick with drums,would someone give me a straight answer,looks like a lot of oppisite opoinions going on.i dont want to start a war here,but i spose this is an open forum.hows that for fence sitting[ouch got a splinter in me bum=bazz

well why don't we start off with what your intended purose is here... are you looking at doing a whole lot of track racing or are you just looking at road driveing ??

VIP Sponsor

well it looks like i opened up a can of worms here,im now more confused than ever,could someone who has done this set up reply on costs hassles involved ,where to get rear disc set up,o k so wat is it discs on the rear or stick with drums,would someone give me a straight answer,looks like a lot of oppisite opoinions going on.i dont want to start a war here,but i spose this is an open forum.hows that for fence sitting[ouch got a splinter in me bum=bazz

What type of pads do you have presently?

Graham

Make sure you check the condition of your brakes and discs before doing anything. i did not know it at the time but my s1 205gti came with glazed brakes (just trying to help. if you are new to the game this is something that you may have overlooked. in my experience not all mechanics pick this up)

Fellow Frogger!

and worse than glazed brakes is cementide deposits in the disc

I know the hand-brake works really well with rear drums
    205gti

i have standard pug discs and pads on my car at the moment replaced by alpine affair[not sure of the brand of pads]but direct replacement pug discs.
    the reason for the question was i noticed that on some 205 in uk have discs all round. i was wondering if they were more efficient this way and the effort involved. i dont race the car only road driving ,but after having a bad accident a couple of years ago would like my road car to have the most efficient brakes i can fit on it,i went up the rear of a commodore that was fitted with abs brakes and pulled up so quickly my old mazda 323 brakes just didnt do it in time ,
    my 205's brakes r much better but still i would like to get it as good as possible.
    the can of worms crack was my attempt at humor[i wont try that again] any thoughts on better brands of pads,
    i saw the ad for the ebc slotted discs and they pretty rugged compared to the standard.
    with winter upon us its always a good time to think of better braking,i have new pirrelli p6000 allround so thats tyres takin care of .just tryin to get more info on better brakes thanks for your time and comments-BAZZ

the reason for the question was i noticed that on some 205 in uk have discs all round. i was wondering if they were more efficient this way and the effort involved.
    Your car has the same brakes as the UK 1.6L GTi. The UK 1.9L GTi's always had discs all round. Australian models didn't have the same setup until the 90kW series 3 model. Unfortunately, the front hubs are different between 1.6L and 1.9L, so it's not even possible to swap to the better 1.9L calipers and discs.

Without swapping driveshafts and hubs, the best you can do is fit Tarox 40 slot rotors and good pads. Some say Mintex, others Pagid, others EBC. The best road pad I've driven with this setup is the Pagid (black, I think). I wouldn't worry about discs on the rear, they won't make you stop any faster.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

can some please give me approx, pricing for Pagid, ebc G'z & Mintex.

whats the best bang for buck brake pad??

Quote Originally Posted by purrr-geot
    can some please give me approx, pricing for Pagid, ebc G'z & Mintex.

whats the best bang for buck brake pad??
    If you are after BFYB it'll probably be EBC green stuff, but probably not very disc friendly. had a few reads on mrtrally forum they're only good for fast road use.

I just installed Ferodo DS2500 on tuesday and it's probably the best you can get, not sure about the price for your pug but it's probably cheaper than mine. It'll be torture tested on monday when i head to Sandown Raceway for my performance driving course.
    Jason

206 GTI MY01.5 Oversteer Edition

Myth Buster Logic : red cars go faster !!
    Red Car Bling factor :

Baz ive got 306 XR front brakes for sale if your interested.
    Its got caliper, rotor and the hub assembly.
    Also got XR driveshafts if the conversion requires.

If you are not upgrading the brakes then pads make a big difference. I used EBC pads and rotors all round for my track day at Philip Island and they were fantastic and i highly recommend the EBC products.
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

I think XR are the same size as late 205 GTi, 247mm. If you want bigger you need XSi, HDi (both 266mm) or GTi6 (283mm). Once you've got the bigger calipers from any of the models mentioned, you can easily upgrade to 283mm GTi6 rotors by changing the yokes assemblies on the calipers.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    I think XR are the same size as late 205 GTi, 247mm. If you want bigger you need XSi, HDi (both 266mm) or GTi6 (283mm). Once you've got the bigger calipers from any of the models mentioned, you can easily upgrade to 283mm GTi6 rotors by changing the yokes assemblies on the calipers.
    Would you need 15" rims for those?
    205gti

The 266 rotors will fit under 14" Pepperpots with a little deburring of casting marks. I had trouble with new pads, but was easily solved with a 2.5mm thick wheel spacer. As the pads wear down you can ditch the spacers.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thread Information