information on the weber 36
  • Register
  • Help

Default information on the weber 36

i am currently in the process of trying to understand and undo what the last suposed "european car mechanic" the previous owner took my car to has done to the carb on my car. its a weber 36 and its out of a 205 automatic, at the moment the buterfly on what i presume to be the choke is stuck wide open and therefore sucking air through and stuffing up the mixture when its cold, which is makeing it hard to start the car... has anybody had experience with these, does anybody know the process of adjusting the choke or more along the lines of the buterfly... also whilst im at it does anybody know the of anything other then the idle speed and mixture adjustments that might help it. the way it is at the moment i can tune it to run but it seems to either be way to lean and it pings or to rich and chews fuel. will this fix itself if i can readjust the buterfly ?... my haynes manual isnt being very helpful... any other information as with regards to fixing and tuning this carb would be greately apreciated thankyou... one more thing if worst comes to worst what are the difrences between the carby setup on the 205 SI we got here and the range of european carbie setups there are... or how hard would it be to replace it with one of the twin carb manifolds, would i need to change the fuel pump etc...

Advertisement
    Last edited by orestes; 21st July 2004 at 06:40 PM.

The choke doesn't matter once the car is warm, as long as it is open then it is not your probelm with mixtures, is it manual, electric or water operating??

As long as the jets are as per spec in the haynes manual then you just need to tune you idle circuit. Start with the mixture screw mostly in and then work in 1/2 turns until it is idling at its highest, if it starts idling too you need to adjust the air bleed. Now once you find the mixture where the car idles highest, turn the mixture screw in 1/2 a turn so it idles a little lean.
    Finally you could take the carb apart and check the float level.
    If you want a bit more performance look round the wreckers for a bx 16trs or 19GT and get a 32/34 or 34/34 dual throat weber (and manifold if its different).

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    If you want a bit more performance look round the wreckers for a bx 16trs or 19GT and get a 32/34 or 34/34 dual throat weber (and manifold if its different).

Dave
    this will bolt onto a 1.6l xu5 ?? i.e the engine we got in 205 SI's (afaik) ?? ....also being aus spec won't it have more emision control stuff on it or are my thoughts wrong on that ??... also being what i'm presuming a smaller carb how does it generate more power ?... thanks for the rest of the information dave
    Last edited by orestes; 21st July 2004 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    this will bolt onto a 1.6l xu5 ?? i.e the engine we got in 205 SI's (afaik) ?? ....also being aus spec won't it have more emision control stuff on it or are my thoughts wrong on that ??... also being what i'm presuming a smaller carb how does it generate more power ?... thanks for the rest of the information dave
    It has slightly smaller throats 34mm but there are two of them, so almost double the airflow of your current carb.
    Does your manifold look like this?

If so then it will bolt straight on, if not you need the manifold as well as carb, but you will find that off the wreck. I think its probably the same though, just with a different gasket sitting over it.

Dave

it looks similiar... i'll need to get out tomorow and have a good look at it... thanks again dave

VIP Sponsor

The SI has full digital injection (albeit mono point) and ignition.
    And a hell of a lot of connectors on the ECU!

Graham Wallis

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    The SI has full digital injection (albeit mono point) and ignition.
    And a hell of a lot of connectors on the ECU!

Graham Wallis

hmm ok... i didnt realise it was injected the SI is a 1.6l XU5 isn't it... whats sort of performance does a 205 SI have ?

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    hmm ok... i didnt realise it was injected the SI is a 1.6l XU5 isn't it... whats sort of performance does a 205 SI have ?
    It doesn't have the torque of a GTI but keeps going harder and harder until it reaches the ignition cut out at around 6800 ( max power is at 6500, the only 205 to rev harder is the 1300cc Rally.)
    The standing 400 metre time I seem to remember is about the same as the MI16, around the mid to high 17s.
    The steering is far better than an early GTI, my GTI will shortly be getting the power rack from the spare SI.
    A much underrated car.
    Graham Wallis

Unless you mechanically minded i would stick to a carb unless you have someone in mind that could put the fuel injection on for you, it would need new fuel pump, 02 sensor, all the wiring, maybe different flywheel (gearbox off), plus the manifold, throttle body and all the other bits.

I have always planned to fuel inject mine but havent had the money to do it, i would have to use an aftermarket computer to make mine run though. Next time i need a clutch i'm going to put the later flywheel on with the missing tooth pickup on it.

Dave

Unless you mechanically minded i would stick to a carb unless you have someone in mind that could put the fuel injection on for you, it would need new fuel pump, 02 sensor, all the wiring, maybe different flywheel (gearbox off), plus the manifold, throttle body and all the other bits.

I have always planned to fuel inject mine but havent had the money to do it, i would have to use an aftermarket computer to make mine run though. Next time i need a clutch i'm going to put the later flywheel on with the missing tooth pickup on it.

Dave
    i have a fair amount of mechanical knowledge and so do a few other people i live with... but either way yes i'll agree that it is almost more hastle then what its worth to put injectors on an engine that didn't come with them and the majority of what i asked graham about was out of intrest then anything else... that said afaik and i may be wrong here when it comes to a 205 being the fact that it is what it is and came with a 1.6 and injection both here in australia and over seas i wouldn't really need to source an aftermarket computer for it.... either way though it would be a pain in the proverbial from reading what i have read here and a bit of looking into it myself.... this is why i've come back to the point of fixining what i have first and then thinking about my options later... if all else fails i could just bolt on a suitable carbie and manifold(if nescesary) from another xu series engine with very little major modifications
    Last edited by orestes; 22nd July 2004 at 10:46 AM.

Because your engine has standard compression and cam a standard 205 computer will run it perfectly.

Dave

VIP Sponsor

Because your engine has standard compression and cam a standard 205 computer will run it perfectly.

Dave

It would be easier to fit a 205 GTI system, this is earlier and more basic (although multi point) than the SI system and doesn't incorporate the ignition system. I believe MYT 205 has his original 1.6 set up.
    Having said that, it would be far easier to get your carby fixed!

Graham Wallis

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    It would be easier to fit a 205 GTI system, this is earlier and more basic (although multi point) than the SI system and doesn't incorporate the ignition system. I believe MYT 205 has his original 1.6 set up.
    Having said that, it would be far easier to get your carby fixed!

Graham Wallis
    Yeah darrens gear would be perfect.
    Although i think if Orestes just gets his mixtures right and stops carboning up his head, maybe run a few bottle of injector cleaner in his petrol i think his problems will be solved.

Orestes - what grade of petrol are you using in your 205? 92, 95, or 98??

I just bought a nice accurate syringe and measured my combustion chambers, I was running 11.2:1 CR no wonder i was having fun tying to tune for optimax with a carb.
    I'm just going to put a standard head gasket back on my car so that should put it back to 10.3 or 10.4:1 which isn't as good for my cam, but should survive the pump fuel a bit better.

Dave

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

a good run with water injection will clean out the carbon in his engine
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    a good run with water injection will clean out the carbon in his engine
    Just like my coolant injection on cylinders 2 and 3. They were spotless

Dave

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Just like my coolant injection on cylinders 2 and 3. They were spotless

Dave

speaking of which i was down at the local repco yesterday having a chat to the ex pug dealers son just comparing prices and he said to me "well you really have water injection now" with a big smile on his face to which i said yeah but it's a pain topping up the radiator every time i want to start the car
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    speaking of which i was down at the local repco yesterday having a chat to the ex pug dealers son just comparing prices and he said to me "well you really have water injection now" with a big smile on his face to which i said yeah but it's a pain topping up the radiator every time i want to start the car
    I suppose that would be a bit of a bummer

Dave

Yeah darrens gear would be perfect.
    Although i think if Orestes just gets his mixtures right and stops carboning up his head, maybe run a few bottle of injector cleaner in his petrol i think his problems will be solved.

Orestes - what grade of petrol are you using in your 205? 92, 95, or 98??

I just bought a nice accurate syringe and measured my combustion chambers, I was running 11.2:1 CR no wonder i was having fun tying to tune for optimax with a carb.
    I'm just going to put a standard head gasket back on my car so that should put it back to 10.3 or 10.4:1 which isn't as good for my cam, but should survive the pump fuel a bit better.

Dave
    i'm ruuning 98 ron stuff unless i absoloutely can't find it (there is 2 petrol stations that area shell that stock optimax here 1 that stocks the bp stuff and another one that stocks the caltex stuff) in the are i live... not all petrol stations around here stock it... the worst thing i've run in it is the bp stuff thats 95 and that was 95... most of the time i'm runing optimax most of the time and ocasionaly the bp 98 ron stuff when im in areas where i can't get my hands on optimax... eitherway there both 98 ron so it shouldn't do much damage what i use if its 98 should it ?? also my car being the way it is is being a female dog to tune to 98 sometimes... would it be easier to tune to 95 ron stuff ?? i can get my hands on that anywhere... also while im at it whats the difrence between the caltex,shell, and BP 98 ron stuff i can most of the time get my hands on them there is also a mobil station here but im not sure if it stocks mobil synergy or whatever its called... so are they all the same or is optimax the best like i've been thinking ??.... also while im at it whats involved in setting up water injection or should i just go and read that thread

EDIT: i have looked into darrens injectors but its a little more then i was looking at paying right now even though it is all the gear you need to build a 1.6l GTI includeing the computer and would almost be a bolt on except for wiring and finding the suitable 02 sensors and fuel pump... but there again its a fair whack of money for me to buy it all and then have to set it up myself or paying an auto electrician to wire it up for me, as i am no auto electrician and neither is anyone in my family
    Last edited by orestes; 22nd July 2004 at 01:40 PM.

Don't worry about it, you should be able to get it running nice with the standard carb.
    As far as your petrol is concerned there is basically no difference between the optimax, ultimate, synergy etc. I just buy the optimax to get the 4c off these days. The bp is supposedly better for the environment if your a greenie.

Yeah, go read the water injection thread, and check that your carb has the right jet in it.

Dave

The bp is supposedly better for the environment if your a greenie.

Dave
    whats the oposite of a greenie because thats me give me my fosil fuel.... also after reading the water injection thread ut sounds like a great way to get a car to run better and it doesn't seem to dificult to setup... i might have to do some more investigation into it once i get my car runing the way it should and invetigate why the choke is jamed open
    Last edited by orestes; 22nd July 2004 at 02:45 PM.

Thread Information