Fuel Regulator
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Fuel Regulator

Tadpole

Default Fuel Regulator

Has any one ever plumbed in a Malpassi carby fuel regulator?
    I bought one but it has no instructions or diagrams.
    It has four fittings on it, all of the same size?
    Part # 18058

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fuel Regulator-photo-01-.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by kheading
    Has any one ever plumbed in a Malpassi carby fuel regulator?
    I bought one but it has no instructions or diagrams.
    It has four fittings on it, all of the same size?
    Part # 18058
    I am curious - what is this regulator supposed to do?
    Cheers
    So many projects - so little time.

Tadpole

My application is a blow through carby system. The regulator is used to raise the fuel pressure in the fuel bolw by a 1:1 ratio as the boost comes on. If the fuel pressure is not raised above boost pressure then it will be unable to supply fuel to the carby. Too much fuel pressure off boost will force fuel past the needle and seat valve and flood the engine.

1000+ Posts

Weird that you didn't get instructions...unless it's second hand of course. I've only seen one of these - they work from vacuum, right? I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that the top most left one in the photo is connected to vacuum as it's on the other side of the diaphragm from the fuel, the two at left and right at the same level are the in (from tank) and out (to carbs) and should be marked in/out, and the bottom vertical one would be the return, to tank. This is entirely based on the design of how I imagine they work, though...

Stuey

I`ve added this pic for information only it may help or it may just add to the confusion. its not the same model and it shows two inlets and only one outlet sorry no index to the numbers either.

Cheers.Ranger
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The defendant is no gentleman, but that is neither here nor there. We find for the defendant, much as we dislike him." A.P. Herbert

1000+ Posts

I was intrigued once I'd seen Ranger's pic, so I went Googling. There was nothing definitive, but I saw a diagram where the bottom vertical one was to the manifold plenum, top most one was the fuel return to tank, the one just under this was fuel line from tank, and the other side was to the carb.

THEN there was a turbo Mini with the bottom vertical one as the fuel return to the tank, the top most was to the manifold, the one just under this was fuel to the carby, and the opposite side was the fuel inlet...if you can understand all this. Weird thing was, they looked the same, so you'd expect the internal design to be similar.

THEN, there are some with dual inlets...but these are for dual fuel rails. From what I gather, they have one more pipe than yours.

Anyway, there might be something in this English language catalogue on the Malpassi website...

http://www.officinamalpassi.it/Copia%20di%20PDF.htm

It's over 2MB so I didn't bother on dial-up, but you might want to, K. Hope you can get something out of this. The Malpassi site doesn't give you much to go on. I note that they have specific regulators for turbo apps (obviously for pressure rather than vacuum) which probably explains the differences above.

Cheers

Stuey
    Last edited by Stuey; 11th July 2004 at 06:09 PM.

Default Fuel Regulator

Dont know but I can see and make a educated guess from the photo that the very bottom fitting is air, either boost or manifold or ported vauum depending on the regs function. The right is tank pump fuel, and the left bottom is probably fuel return to the tank and the top left goes to your carbie or injector rails. And the captive nut probably controls the output pressure peak.

Were did you get it. What pressures is it rated for? Max and Min

Al
    Last edited by AlsPug504; 20th July 2004 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Had question about the reg.

Icon6

Gee, Malpassi give a heap of useful tech info dont they! like Fvck all! Is there some link on there site i have not found?

Als

Thread Information