505 brakes, performance and handling upgrades
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    GEELONG
    Posts
    26

    Default 505 brakes, performance and handling upgrades

    Hey Guys
    I just got my dads (no longer with us) 505 sti to drive and its got a few issues
    1. The brakes totally suck, they squeak and they r not good in that they seem to fade.. what upgrades are there? i drive it reasonably hard
    2. What performance upgrades exist for the car? I know that in europe they had a turbo
    any aussies know of where to get stuff in oz?
    3. Can u buy good quality lowered springs for the 505?

    Advertisement


    Its a lovely car but these 3 areas need some work... Ok I have a 944 S2 and race karts so i kind of like them fast , i like them to stop and i like them to go round corners flat
    Cheers
    Nick Mega
    Australia

  2. #2
    Guru davemcbean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Camden NSW & Selwyn NZ
    Posts
    2,334

    Default

    Check out my basic website on this subject:

    http://www.geocities.com/davemcbean/...l?997061496590

    However for really flat handling and big horsepower, "oddfireV6" is the man to speak to. He's gone alot further than the basic mods detailed on my website.

    Dave
    Last edited by davemcbean; 10th July 2004 at 09:36 PM.
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger! jarrods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duderduderini
    Hey Guys
    2. What performance upgrades exist for the car? I know that in europe they had a turbo
    any aussies know of where to get stuff in oz?
    Hi nick

    there was a turbo petrol version of this car available in europe and the US. I have one of these engines for sale in Melbourne. If you do a search for N9TE you should find it. If you cant find it let me know. This should answer your questions.
    As for your questions on suspension an brakes I would make sure what you have is in good condition before you get too carried away. Flush your fluid and fit good quality break pads and then maybe fit 604 vented disks and calipers. As for suspension replace all rubber bushes and make sure shockers and struts are in good condition. Then maybe replace springs with slightly lower stiffer ones. Others on this forum will be able to give you specs. (the turbo engine I have comes with a thicker front bar)

    Good luck

    Jarrod

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger! OddFireV6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Well I've been pre empted and outed so I should talk
    1. do the 604 vented discs and callipers, for pads EBS 'green stuff' for competition or Bendix metal king for road (I know they are not as good as they used to be), there many poor brake pads around.
    2. Depends how far do you want to go? Bang for your buck is a Volvo 2850 on straight gas with a 604 auto, or in Melbourne there is a 505 GTI (same motor as yours but different injection) with a single TD04L turbo on LP gas it goes well.
    3. Not off the shelf but a few of us have copied the factory 504 safari springs lowered to suit eg the rear is 17mm wire in lieu of 15, the front is 13mm in lieu of 11 I think, I have the exact specs somwhare if you are fair dinkum.
    OddfireV6
    504 V6 24V, 203

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts HONG KONG PUGGY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Yarrabilba, Queensland
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davemcbean
    Check out my basic website on this subject:

    http://www.geocities.com/davemcbean/...l?997061496590

    However for really flat handling and big horsepower, Rob Cherry (who posts on here as "oddfireV6") is the man to speak to. He's gone alot further than than the basic mods detailed on my website.

    Dave
    Woohooo...Dave's site came up as the sixth and eightth listing when I did the search for the N9TE, and ausfrogs got a gersney at ninth.
    Go Dave

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts HONG KONG PUGGY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Yarrabilba, Queensland
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OddFireV6
    Well I've been pre empted and outed so I should talk
    1. do the 604 vented discs and callipers, for pads EBS 'green stuff' for competition or Bendix metal king for road (I know they are not as good as they used to be), there many poor brake pads around.
    2. Depends how far do you want to go? Bang for your buck is a Volvo 2850 on straight gas with a 604 auto, or in Melbourne there is a 505 GTI (same motor as yours but different injection) with a single TD04L turbo on LP gas it goes well.
    3. Not off the shelf but a few of us have copied the factory 504 safari springs lowered to suit eg the rear is 17mm wire in lieu of 15, the front is 13mm in lieu of 11 I think, I have the exact specs somwhare if you are fair dinkum.
    OddfireV6. Hi.
    Will 604 discs fit any 505? I have a GR wagon, 1990 model .
    Which would be the 'best' V6 conversion for a 505 wagon, with 4sp auto.
    Cheers,
    Chris

  7. #7
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    OddfireV6. Hi.
    Will 604 discs fit any 505? I have a GR wagon, 1990 model .
    Which would be the 'best' V6 conversion for a 505 wagon, with 4sp auto.
    Cheers,
    Chris
    604 discs will fit as long as you change the calipers as well.
    There is really no point, however, unless you plan to use the car in competition. The brakes won't stop you any faster, just don't fade as much.
    QFM pads are very good (made in Queensland), something like a comp 9 will give you all the stopping you will need and cost under $150 for an axle set.

    Graham Wallis

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts HONG KONG PUGGY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Yarrabilba, Queensland
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    604 discs will fit as long as you change the calipers as well.
    There is really no point, however, unless you plan to use the car in competition. The brakes won't stop you any faster, just don't fade as much.
    QFM pads are very good (made in Queensland), something like a comp 9 will give you all the stopping you will need and cost under $150 for an axle set.

    Graham Wallis
    Thanks Garham,
    Wasn't sure if there was much point to a change as after having the one 505 wagon for the last 8 years and now with the newer one, I have never had anything even remotely like brake fade. Even on a long trip into NSW a few years back, up to the Coonabarabran Observatory, via a cattle track of sorts. 505 brakes are very good for a non-vented disc.
    I don;t even think a front pad change will make much difference. Our old 505 has just had a complete brake overhaul, new pads and shoes, and kitted wheel cylinders(except a master cyl o'haul) and it would out brake the later 1990 wagon at the moment.
    No complaints at all about Mr Peugeots brake negineering from us.
    Chris

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts bowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Sydney, Concord City, Sir.
    Posts
    3,376

    Default

    ... i like them to stop and i like them to go round corners flat....
    Go round corners Flat... in a Peugoet.. you must be mad..

    Tis have the fun having the door handles scrap against the bitchiman as you tear of in the inside around something..

    Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

    "More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts HONG KONG PUGGY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Yarrabilba, Queensland
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bowie
    Go round corners Flat... in a Peugoet.. you must be mad..

    Tis have the fun having the door handles scrap against the bitchiman as you tear of in the inside around something..
    bowie...
    I agree, it's half the fun in a french car, to scare the ***t out of your mates in a corner, very fast with the near-side of the car almost scraping the blacktop and you knowing you could push even harder with-out the prospect of it letting go. To see the look on their faces as the tyres protest loudly as the body rolls and rolls is priceless.

  11. #11
    1000+ Posts bowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Sydney, Concord City, Sir.
    Posts
    3,376

    Default

    hihihihihih thats dam right..

    i dont car what the body is doing... as long as all 4 wheels are on the ground.. does me just fine..

    Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

    "More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

  12. #12
    Fellow Frogger! OddFireV6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    152

    Default

    I have to disagree, body roll is hideous trait that needs to be removed from older Peugeots if you are after a quick bitumen car.
    OddfireV6
    504 V6 24V, 203

  13. #13
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OddFireV6
    I have to disagree, body roll is hideous trait that needs to be removed from older Peugeots if you are after a quick bitumen car.

    that is so true

    body roll is something that i tend to rid every pug of that i have owned (bar early cars like 403's that i tend to keep closer to original)

    the thing with body roll is you are taking all the weight of the car off the wheels and hence loose traction in my opinion

    not just that but it's damn annoying

    if body roll was a desired handling trait i think we may see more of it on telly and at the track

    put good shocks in it and replace rubbers

    good springs and if you are serious about body roll then stick a thicker front bar in it or set up twin bars as i'm about to with the 604
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x '98 306 GTi6

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0


    WTD long range fuel tank for 605

  14. #14
    Guru davemcbean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Camden NSW & Selwyn NZ
    Posts
    2,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo

    body roll is something that i tend to rid every pug of that i have owned

    good springs and if you are serious about body roll then stick a thicker front bar in it or set up twin bars as i'm about to with the 604
    Just as well, because 604s have more bodyroll than any other Pug.
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

  15. #15
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davemcbean
    Just as well, because 604s have more bodyroll than any other Pug.

    damn right they do

    the thing is they have a lot more when the rubbers are all worn out

    i relieved the car of 1/2 the roll it had when i got it just by putting new rubbers through the front end but it still has a certain amount that i need to remove from the car
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x '98 306 GTi6

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0


    WTD long range fuel tank for 605

  16. #16
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Trinidad, West Indies
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Just joined. I have a 505SR 1982 presently fitted with a Ford V6 2.8 and A4ld box. This is soon to be replaced with a Nissan Sr20DET/auto. I am particularly interested in what approach people have been taking re intergration or replacement of the peugeot torque tube when undertaking such mods. To date I have, with some effort, gone the way of retaining the peugeot torque tube and rear end, however this time around I am thinking of using the Nissan Silvia drive shaft and rear end. Would like to hear from anyone who may have gone this route before as to any specific challenges they encountered.

  17. #17
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Christchurch, NZ
    Posts
    228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    that is so true

    body roll is something that i tend to rid every pug of that i have owned (bar early cars like 403's that i tend to keep closer to original)

    the thing with body roll is you are taking all the weight of the car off the wheels and hence loose traction in my opinion

    not just that but it's damn annoying

    if body roll was a desired handling trait i think we may see more of it on telly and at the track

    put good shocks in it and replace rubbers

    good springs and if you are serious about body roll then stick a thicker front bar in it or set up twin bars as i'm about to with the 604
    Without doing anything too drastic as I want to keep it original-ish, or at least in period, any ideas how to keep the inside back wheel on the ground on my 203 when trying very hard in tight corners?
    95 MI16
    71 404 U10 ute
    66 404 coupe
    55 203C (gently warmed) gone... sold...

  18. #18
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi 03
    Without doing anything too drastic as I want to keep it original-ish, or at least in period, any ideas how to keep the inside back wheel on the ground on my 203 when trying very hard in tight corners?
    Not easy on the 03s.
    Try an antiroll bar on the front. I did on my 403 and had problems although it was great on dry bitumen. They are not easy to get right (this was a professionally made item) and I think the geometry was wrong. One of the connecting links broke after a while.
    Graham Lewis who comes up on here from time to time fitted 2 very light ones to his 203.

    Graham Wallis

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •