xu9ja vs xu5ja
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: xu9ja vs xu5ja

Default xu9ja vs xu5ja

just a few questions. i am trying to firstly what the engine code of the 1.6l carbie engine is, is it an xu5 variant or is it difrent. also i am trying to work out what the difrences are between the xu9ja (1.9l 8v) out of the 1.9l 205 GTI and the xu5ja (1.6l8v) out of the euro spec 1.6l 205 GTI. basically i have the 1.6l engine with carb setup in my car and i was wonderinf at one stage or another wether i could bolt on the injection system possibly off a 1.9 and make what would basically be a 1.6l GTI engine. is the 1.6l carbie engine basically the same engine minus the injection or is there more to it then that if it is just the swaping the carbie setup to an injection setup and adding an ECU how hard is it. i would think it would be a fairly easy way to get about 115kw out of the standard engine if it is only this and considering i have the euro spec carbie engine. also if this is posible how much would i outlay, i can't imagine this would be overly expensive for the injectors and an ECU capable of runing this setup, i would get one from a 1.6l GTI but we obviously do not have them in australia

Advertisement

edit: one other thing... has this sort of thing ever been atempted with say a 205 SI in australia
    Last edited by orestes; 6th July 2004 at 09:44 PM.

Sorry mate, but the simplest way to get more power is go for the 1.9L engine.

Sure the 1.6 revs well, but you will put heaps of work into it and only end up with as much power as a 1.9 in good nick. Just wait until someone does an mi16 conversion to their GTI and offer them a couple of hundred bucks for their motor and injection. Much better idea in my opinion. Good luck either way.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Sorry mate, but the simplest way to get more power is go for the 1.9L engine.

Sure the 1.6 revs well, but you will put heaps of work into it and only end up with as much power as a 1.9 in good nick. Just wait until someone does an mi16 conversion to their GTI and offer them a couple of hundred bucks for their motor and injection. Much better idea in my opinion. Good luck either way.

Dave
    just thought it would be cheaper and easier to put injectors on the 1.6 then it would to do a complete engine swap, i am aware that it would only end up haveing about as much power as the 1.9 but it would have a lot more botom end then the 1.9, and i already have the 1.6 in my car so i was just wandering what i could do whilst not haveing to completely swap everything out. also it would be euro spec power considering the fact my car and engine are from europe wouldn't it. anyway if i went with the 1.9 i would only make about what 130kw vs 115 for the 1.6... its not a huge difrence
    Last edited by orestes; 6th July 2004 at 10:08 PM.

also if i kept the 1.6, i wouldn't really need to get it enginerd as most woudn't know it was any difrent, especially my car being what it is and im not looking at a huge performace increase, if i was i would go MI16, but i'm only looking at something cheap as the carb on my engine was allready half stuffed by the mechanic who serviced it when the last owner owned it . i'd really like to know how hard it would be to do this sort of conversion, before people say no
    Last edited by orestes; 6th July 2004 at 10:35 PM.

There are several XU5 engines. You'll have to find out what the 3 letter code is on the block, near the top engine mount, to determine the exact specs.
    eg
    B6D
    B6E
    BDY
    etc.

With any though, you could install the injection manifold and ECU from a 1.9L GTi. It will work fine. The O2 sensor will correct any mixtures at light loads. I've got all the bits you need if you're interested.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    There are several XU5 engines. You'll have to find out what the 3 letter code is on the block, near the top engine mount, to determine the exact specs.
    eg
    B6D
    B6E
    BDY
    etc.

With any though, you could install the injection manifold and ECU from a 1.9L GTi. It will work fine. The O2 sensor will correct any mixtures at light loads. I've got all the bits you need if you're interested.
    its not something that i'm looking straight away as the car is runing fine and i don't have the money to do a ba5 and injection conversion, but if you wouldn't mind could you give me a rough price ?
    Last edited by orestes; 6th July 2004 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    its not something that i'm looking straight away as the car is runing fine and i don't have the money to do a ba5 and injection conversion, but if you wouldn't mind could you give me a rough price ?
    Something that I don't have is a fuel pump and fuel lines. I take it yours wouldn't have a return line for the fuel? Intake elbows could be a problem too. I've have a look and get back to you.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Something that I don't have is a fuel pump and fuel lines. I take it yours wouldn't have a return line for the fuel? Intake elbows could be a problem too. I've have a look and get back to you.
    i cant say i've got a fuel pump, or the return lines if you need a difrent setup for the injection. i have seen fuel pumps made up before though, if not that it wouldn't be to hard to get the setup for the fuel would it ? also how hard would it be to install. also if i didnt swap the transmision over to a GTI box or similiar manual box from a 405 etc, first and just did the injection conversion first whilst still using the auto box how would this affect the cars driveability
    Last edited by orestes; 6th July 2004 at 11:13 PM.

VIP Sponsor

just thought it would be cheaper and easier to put injectors on the 1.6 then it would to do a complete engine swap, i am aware that it would only end up haveing about as much power as the 1.9 but it would have a lot more botom end then the 1.9, and i already have the 1.6 in my car so i was just wandering what i could do whilst not haveing to completely swap everything out. also it would be euro spec power considering the fact my car and engine are from europe wouldn't it. anyway if i went with the 1.9 i would only make about what 130kw vs 115 for the 1.6... its not a huge difrence

Make that 115 or 130 HORSEPOWER not kilowatts.
    One of the reasons I bought the rough GTI for motorsport use was that my SI is running too well to stuff it up by modifying it. Additionally, although it revs better than the GTI it doesn't have the mid range torque so neccessary for acceleration out of corners.
    Graham Wallis

VIP Sponsor

i cant say i've got a fuel pump, or the return lines if you need a difrent setup for the injection. i have seen fuel pumps made up before though, if not that it wouldn't be to hard to get the setup for the fuel would it ? also how hard would it be to install. also if i didnt swap the transmision over to a GTI box or similiar manual box from a 405 etc, first and just did the injection conversion first whilst still using the auto box how would this affect the cars driveability
    A Camira fuel pump from Pick a Part will do the job, I paid $14 last time.

Graham Wallis

I've got all the factory injection stuff from my 1.6 GTi engine including the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by MYT205
    I've got all the factory injection stuff from my 1.6 GTi engine including the computer.
    how much would it be worth to you, also whilst im here does anybody know what a transmision and pedal box out of a wreacked GTI-6 would be worth, also would a conversion like this go well with a 6 speed box or would it be a waste of time and money or should i try to get a box with longer ratios. one more thing has a manual conversion been done on a 205 before and is there enough room in the tunnel to fit a manual, im asuming there would be more room but i'm not entirely sure
    Last edited by orestes; 7th July 2004 at 04:27 PM.

how much would it be worth to you, also whilst im here does anybody know what a transmision and pedal box out of a wreacked GTI-6 would be worth, also would a conversion like this go well with a 6 speed box or would it be a waste of time and money or should i try to get a box with longer ratios. one more thing has a manual conversion been done on a 205 before and is there enough room in the tunnel to fit a manual, im asuming there would be more room but i'm not entirely sure
    GTi6 is too many dollars. What's wrong with your current ratios?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

What tunnel? We are not talking RWD here.
    If the 306 GTI6 has restricted steering lock due to space problems there is no way it will fit a 205!
    If you are keen to do such modifications then I recommend you sell the car, it should bring good money, being unique to Australia, and buy a cheap GTI to play with. You will save a lot of time and money.

Graham Wallis

GTi6 is too many dollars. What's wrong with your current ratios?
    nothings wrong but its an auto

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    What tunnel? We are not talking RWD here.
    If the 306 GTI6 has restricted steering lock due to space problems there is no way it will fit a 205!
    If you are keen to do such modifications then I recommend you sell the car, it should bring good money, being unique to Australia, and buy a cheap GTI to play with. You will save a lot of time and money.

Graham Wallis
    my bad, its realy is only my first front wheel drive car and i don't have the greates knowledge of front wheel drive cars. anyway... the reason i am looking at this is the fact that the last guy who played with my car, before i owned it (a suposed european car mechanic) basically stuffed the carbie it was pretty hard to get the car back into any thing you would consider in tune as he had a good go at breaking the tuneing adjustment for the carbie , and if i eventually need to replace it i would prefer to chuck the entire carbie setup in the bin and get injectors. this is not going to be a thing that will happen over a short period of time, as the car runs basically fine. i am just looking at options if it stuffs up
    Last edited by orestes; 7th July 2004 at 05:23 PM.

VIP Sponsor

nothings wrong but its an auto

my bad, its realy is only my first front wheel drive car and i don't have the greates knowledge of front wheel drive cars. anyway... the reason i am looking at this is the fact that the last guy who played with my car, before i owned it (a suposed european car mechanic) basically stuffed the carbie it was pretty hard to get the car back into any thing you would consider in tune as he had a good go at breaking the tuneing adjustment for the carbie , and if i eventually need to replace it i would prefer to chuck the entire carbie setup in the bin and get injectors. this is not going to be a thing that will happen over a short period of time, as the car runs basically fine. i am just looking at options if it stuffs up

Buy a carby from the UK, there must be heaps of these sitting in wrecking yards.

Graham

I agree with Graham, sell it and buy a GTi. There's just too many things to change if you want a manaul EFI.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thread Information