Commodore V6 Conversions?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Commodore V6 Conversions?

Has anybody heard of fitting a commodore (or similar) v6 into a 504 /505 without too much trouble? I was thinking about the motor out of the vs/vt as they're pretty common + reliable. I think the pugs would be better with a bit more grunt, + the commodore would make for an interesting conversion , wouldn't it?

Advertisement

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Karl B
    Has anybody heard of fitting a commodore (or similar) v6 into a 504 /505 without too much trouble? I was thinking about the motor out of the vs/vt as they're pretty common + reliable. I think the pugs would be better with a bit more grunt, + the commodore would make for an interesting conversion , wouldn't it?

An idea that I have had is to use the 604 transmission, which is supposed to be exactly the same as a local trimatic, with a Hadfield V6 to trimatic conversion kit, available off the shelf. You would need to check the 604 box against the Holden box but if it works everything should just bolt together.
    While you would lose a little in the three speed auto, the 505 is a fair bit lighter than the Commodore and performance should be excellent.

Graham Wallis

Why oh why oh why would you bother. The Holden V6 is powerful and cheap to buy and plentiful however you are faced with some effort in adaption for a motor that is dull and unexciting and possibly too heavy. I know Graeme disagrees with me here but this is my view.

What is often lost in this forum is that if you want a result that is reliable and neat and works well, that has not destroyed the cars balance or handling, that is aesthetically and aurally pleasing you will need to spend significant dough and effort that you never get back when you try to sell such a car. This process works so much better when the motor just bolts in and I really like the twang (exhaust note) of an oddfire V6.

If you do not wish to use a V6 PRV I would make perhaps make the effort for something really special like a Rover or Lexus V8, a triple rotor rotary etc.

At Philip Island last year a red 505 with a bog standard 2850cc V6 with 2 little turbos and one big intercooler on LP gas easily held station with a 300 kw GTS Commodore down the length of the straight at Philip Island, this was real, it happened.
    OddfireV6
    504 V6 24V, 203

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

in my mind the PRV has proved itself time and time again as a great engine

the engine has been used in a great number of makes through it's life and it still continues to be one of the all time great engines ever made

i agree with the exhaust note from the odd fire and that is one of the main reasons i stick to the odd fire version over the even fire

to me the buick/holden motor is an agricultural lump that has been played with over the years and even in the cars i have driven with this engine it still doesn't impress me enough to use one

they are too heavy and are still a push rod engine where as the PRV is an OHC unit

they are in standard form a very understressed engine
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Anyone with half a brain, who was willing to put something non-french into the car would surely use the toyota 1UZFE engine? 4.0l quad cam v8, economical, silky smooth, absolutely unbreakable (look at the salt lake cars - 800 odd horsepower on a completely stock bottom end). From memory you can pick up an engine/box package for $1.5-3k... 10 times the engine the PRV or buick will ever be...

[QUOTE=nchandler]From memory you can pick up an engine/box package for $1.5-3k... [QUOTE]

Toyota engines are great, but don't forget all the other costs associated with fitting such an engine. There are alot of cars running around where alot of money has been spent fitting an engine from another manufacturer and they've run out of money to get the rest of the car into any sort of well balanced package.

I've seen 504s converted by Pugrambo and Oddfirev6 to the PRV V6 and they got the overall balance fairly right as far as the car as a package is concerned, unlike that rotary powered 504 going around Sydney (good idea poorly executed as an overall package by the original converter, although the current owner may well have it sorted now).

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

For others then in possession of both halves of their brains realistic consideration would be given to the virtues of PRV V6s, hopefully from first hand experience of good examples of this motor and couple this with the very real difficulties and expense in converting to an entirely different motor.

The Lexus V8 is good, thatís why I mentioned it, however one should not get carried away and overstate its virtues. Anyone considering this type of conversion must be prepared for the hidden costs, these can be found in the other parts and engineering to the job, solving the inevitable countless technical issues, understanding the other aspects of the car that would be then compromised, the engineering certification process, the insurance. These other costs will likely swamp the purchase price of the motor even if you do all the grunt work yourself.
    OddfireV6
    504 V6 24V, 203

Its not as bad as dropping a Ford Transit V4 cast iron lump in an NSU Ro80 - now that was a conversion that ruined a fine handling machine
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Karl I posted an add out of the pug club of Canberra mag in the cars for sale it had a 505 with the PRV in it along with gearbox, wiring spare motor and box for 3000$ This would make a much easier conversion. BTW the wagon had been damaged. If you want more info on it drop me a PM.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Fellow Frogger!

pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference between an oddfire and an evenfire?
    also which vehicle/s did the odd and even fire PRV v6's come in.

the crummidore conversion is something my dad is considering for his very tired 505GTi , something i am trying my damdest to talk him out of. so far i have talked him out of trading the 405 on 3 commodores and 1 falcon. don't hold it against him, he just gets a little confused sometimes.

The older engines up to 1986 were all oddfires, these have a 3 throw crank and a 90 degree V block and so have what is known as split phase timing or uneven timing if you like. Even fires have a 6 throw crank in the same block and so have an even time interval and between firing. Many find the ‘twang’ of an oddfire a pleasant note.

All PRV V6s were oddfires to 1986 or 88 for Australia, Evenfires were first fitted to 505 V6s but in Australia the sources of them are Volvo 760s of 1988 to 1991 and the first 6 months of 960 V6s,before they went to the Volvo straight 6. Even fires were also in Peugeot 605s, early Lagunas and Citroen XMs. All Even fires have full electronic injection and are better in a number of ways. If you want more details I have written prolifically about this in the Victorian Peugeot Club magazine over the last 6 months. I’m replacing the oddfire Volvo 2850 with a Volvo evenfire in my Turbo 505.
    Last edited by OddFireV6; 10th July 2004 at 11:45 AM.
    OddfireV6
    504 V6 24V, 203

Thread Information