Cracked block 205 1.9 -> Mi16!
  • Register
  • Help
    ado
    Tadpole

Default Cracked block 205 1.9 -> Mi16!

Hi all,

I have a 87 205 1.9 gti, which I have imported from england.

When I left london I kept it in a friends garage planning to return in six months. Well I ended up staying in Oz and the car sat in London for over a year untill I shipped it here.

It was running fine over there, used nearly everyday, it was in allround good condition untill now! After getting it here and trying to get it ready to register it, I have found it has a crack in the block. So I need a new engine! That's right mi16 time!

I have been looking for a Mi16 1.9 engine for a while have found one and hopefully should have it pretty soon, fingers crossed.

I have been doing a fair bit of reading on the net but still have some questions for anyone with some experience with this conversion:

Should I use my existing 205 gearbox and renew or replace the clutch, or should I use the Mi16 gearbox and clutch?
    Does anyone have any suggestions on the best combination.
    Is the 205 clutch strong enough for the mi16 engine?

I have read somewhere that the best way to fix the 'mi16 exhaust hitting the 205 bulkhead' problem is to cut the pipes at an angle at the join to the manifold and weld them back together.
    Is this the best solution?

What alternator and starter motor do I need to use on the mi16 engine?

I was thinking of using an Distributer converter kit with a delimited ECU (as seen on mi16conversion.co.uk) to get around having to do a whole heep of wiring which I wouldn't know how to do, and would probably end up costing me a fortune to pay someone to do!
    Can these parts be bought in Australia?

Does simply replacing the bottom engine mount bush with a hard rubber version stop the cam cover hitting the master cylinder? Is it necessary to move the master cylinder?

I am planning on tilting the radiator forward, to make room for the mi16 engine, has anyone had any probs with this approach??

Any help/comments/solutions would be greatly appreciated.
    THANKS, in advance,

Ado.

Advertisement

Hi,

I have some questions for you before i answer yours,,,, I'm looking at bring a car from the uk how did you frieght yours and what does taxes set you back??

1. Use the 205 box to keep costs down, replace the clutch when the motor is out

2. try to get the motor in without cutting the manifold it can wreck the flow rates, don't tilt the motor either.

3. Use the mi16 alternator and the 205 starter should be fine to use with the 205 box,

4. No you cannot buy those parts in australia tho i think you can use a later wiring harness (ask peter t or someone about this)

5. Didn't know this was problem (ask JR or neil)

6. Dont do it it can cause too many problems (look around the forum)

Cheers Nick

P.s Join the 205 club in brisbane its free to 205 owners living in brisbane....
    Auckland NZ -
    2000 Peugeot 406 Coupe, Dark Green.
    2001 Renault Clio Sport RS, Silver.

Brisbane Aus -
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi, Light Blue.

1. Your UK 1.9L GTi has the long 3.62:1 diff, which definitely doesn't suit the Mi16 powerband. Either change the diff to 3.94:1 or use the Mi16 box. 205 clutch is smaller. Use the Mi16 flywheel, clutch etc.

2. Buy a tapered flange plate from Owen Wuillemin. No welding, simple and easy to fit.

3. Use 205 alternater & starter if Mi16 doesn't have them.

4. Buy an Mi16 ECU and loom, or 205 Motronic loom. Far easier and better than distributor convertors.

5. Buy a hard mount from me. Yes you need to tilt the booster/master cylinder.

6. Buy a shortened inlet manifold from Owen Wuillemin.
    Last edited by PeterT; 1st July 2004 at 08:40 PM.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

ado
    Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by briz205
    Hi,

I have some questions for you before i answer yours,,,, I'm looking at bring a car from the uk how did you frieght yours and what does taxes set you back??

1. Use the 205 box to keep costs down, replace the clutch when the motor is out

2. try to get the motor in without cutting the manifold it can wreck the flow rates, don't tilt the motor either.

3. Use the mi16 alternator and the 205 starter should be fine to use with the 205 box,

4. No you cannot buy those parts in australia tho i think you can use a later wiring harness (ask peter t or someone about this)

5. Didn't know this was problem (ask JR or neil)

6. Dont do it it can cause too many problems (look around the forum)

Cheers Nick

P.s Join the 205 club in brisbane its free to 205 owners living in brisbane....

Thanks for the suggestions Nick,

Shipping from the UK to OZ, sounds pretty simply ( I thought so ) but can become quite a challenge. Alot of paperwork and

I shipped the car with 'Excess International Movers', it landed in Sydney port and was controlled this end by 'Grace Removals'

Shipping costs: 915
    Customs clearance/handling: 295
    Qaurantine in Sydney port: $ 240

Customs Duty:
    I paid about $250 in duty. Duty can be calculated in a few different ways depending on individual cases, I have a PDF document explaining it if you would like me to email it to you

Insurance:
    I paid about 20, it depends on what you insure your shipment for, I think it's calculated at about 5% of the value.

Thats about all I can think of, other than getting you car to the port in the UK, about 125, your import approval 40, and steam cleaning for quarantine.

So it cost about $3000 in my case but was OK as I have the whole car filled with personal goods, which I would have had to ship anyway, and would probably been half the cost any way. But cars are cheap over there, what you pay in shipping you save in resale value. The only problem I had is when I finally got my car back after it sitting in London for over a year, it had a cracked block, don't know when or how that happened.

Another way you can do it is if the car is empty, you can get a 'Roll-on, Roll-off' price which is approx 600

Hope this helps
    Ado

ado
    Tadpole

Hi Peter,

thanks for the suggestions.

I am actually hoping to get a whole front end off a Mi16, so should have ECU etc. I am just a bit worried about the wiring part, as I have no idea with wiring and the guy who will be helping with the conversion hasn't done one before. I just thought the converter would be the simpler solution. How difficult is it to connect up the Mi16 loom to the 205?

How much is the hard mount?
    And I also read about your Cam upgrade/exchange for the Mi16, something I will be looking at when I have the engine.

Cheers,
    Ado

Quote Originally Posted by ado
    How difficult is it to connect up the Mi16 loom to the 205?

How much is the hard mount?
    And I also read about your Cam upgrade/exchange for the Mi16, something I will be looking at when I have the engine.

Cheers,
    Ado
    The Mi16 has more than you need, as it also contains instruement wiring, which is separate in a 205. Other than that, it's relatively straight forward. I can supply you with an wiring diagram, parts list, etc.

Bottom mounts are $120 exchange + postage.

It's easy to change the cam (and the belt) when it's out of the car.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

ado
    Tadpole

I will find out exactly what I am getting with the engine soon, and will contact you about the parts that you can supply.

cheers,
    Ado

Cal

If you want to read about the 205 Mi16 conversion, Neil has taken the time and effort to write a guide for others to follow: http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sh...light=NEIL+MI16

Also: http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sh...light=NEIL+MI16

Cheers,

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

1000+ Posts

Ado, sounds like the coolant might have frozen - maybe you didn't have enough concentration of anti-freeze? At least there's no problem with that in Oz!

Thread Information