Basic Performance upgrades
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Tadpole

Default Basic Performance upgrades

Hello peoples, my name is Andrew and I am a member of the PCCV , just wondering about basic performance upgrades for a series 2 1996 Peugeot 405 mi 16. I had thought of throwing a power chip in the car, which brings it up from 116 kw to 131 kw, has anyone tried this, if so, was it worth doing?

I am also interested in moving up a rim size, would a bbs 16" 406 coupe rim fit, and do off sets match / are offsets an issue? I love the way the thing corners, and do not want to upset that.

Advertisement

cheers, and thanks to all who read.

p.s suspension mod's ..............?

Quote Originally Posted by DAFUZZ
    just wondering about basic performance upgrades for a series 2 1996 Peugeot 405 mi 16. I had thought of throwing a power chip in the car, which brings it up from 116 kw to 131 kw, has anyone tried this, if so, was it worth doing?

Best value for money is one of my exchange inlet cams for $250. I very much doubt you'll find 15kW from a chip on an Mi16, but you might find 15% with the cam. It's been my experience that the mixtures are absolutely spot on.

Suspension wise, I doubt you could better than Mr. Peugeot for a street car. Just make sure it's all in good nick and invest the money in tyres.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by DAFUZZ
    Hello peoples, my name is Andrew and I am a member of the PCCV , just wondering about basic performance upgrades for a series 2 1996 Peugeot 405 mi 16. I had thought of throwing a power chip in the car, which brings it up from 116 kw to 131 kw, has anyone tried this, if so, was it worth doing?

I am also interested in moving up a rim size, would a bbs 16" 406 coupe rim fit, and do off sets match / are offsets an issue? I love the way the thing corners, and do not want to upset that.

cheers, and thanks to all who read.

Someone that pretends to get 15 more KW from a NA engine only with a chip is a liar, I woudn't buy that kind of chip if I were you.

Very basic mods are air intake + ECU + exhaust line, you will really gain power.

16" rims will make your car loose performance, braking power and slightly higher fuel consomption.
    You'll have to fit harder pads that will use your brake disks faster.

Usual suspension mods are gaz suspensions like Bilstein, yellow Koni series and so on.

Fellow Frogger!

Performance modifications usually revolve around sacrifice. All mods sacrifice dollars and some are more detrimental than just the width of ones wallet. However, if like most people, you're only doing it for bragging rights - then pick up a copy of latest hot4's or some shit and look at the pretty adverts.

But seriously if you're going to do it - then do it right. Listen to people like PeterT who have racing experience and understand what urban driveability they have lost.

regarding wheels (rims n tyres) why is there still a misconception that bigger is badder. I have not yet experienced first hand the loss of performance (acceleration, braking or cornering) due to increasing rim diameter. Yes, most NICE looking rims out there are seriously heavy - BUT if I was to (read: thinking of) uprate my package, then I would consider a set of lightweight Magnesium Alloy rims. I think i discovered that OZ rims in 17x7 only weigh 7.9kg which coupled with the lower profile tyres 205/40 the entire package is actually lighter than my stock 195/55/15. The rolling circumference is almost identical so no gearing effect. Hence (theoretically) there should be less rolling inertia with no noticable effect on scrub radius, the only downside would be an increase in snap-action affect due to limited compliance of sidewall. FLAME ME if i am wrong.

Yes offests are important, and must be re-calculated if rim width is altered.

XsaraVTS,
    agree about the wheels. If the outside diameter is the same, and the weight is similar there should be no adverse performance effects.

Andrew,
    Are your mods for looks, street or track? Based on that you need to adjust the budget to what you want.
    Personally i would blow about $2000 on suspension and the best tyres you can afford (notice I said tyres not wheels). By now the 405 must be getting a bit tired on the factory bushes and shocks. Noltec I am sure could help you (or point you in right drection) for neoprene (or similar product) and Ray Bell would source some Koni's for you at an awesome price.
    Then search the threads here for Lincoln's (GTI124) pages and pages of advice on which tyre is the ants pants for street.

1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Quote Originally Posted by XsaraVTS
    I think i discovered that OZ rims in 17x7 only weigh 7.9kg which coupled with the lower profile tyres 205/40 the entire package is actually lighter than my stock 195/55/15.
    You are correct in theory but keep in mind that the tyres quite possibly will be getting heavier than the rim when going for that size.

Did you measure each component individually?

Cal

Quote Originally Posted by deuginthesky
    16" rims will make your car loose performance, braking power and slightly higher fuel consomption.
    You'll have to fit harder pads that will use your brake disks faster.
    What on earth are you on about?

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Cal what he's saying does make sence... the guy is from France and doesn't communicate in Engrish like we do.

Quote Originally Posted by jester_fu
    ....whatever you do... don't put Jap tyres (Yokohama, Kuhmo etc) on the Mi. Stick to the European stuff, and the car will stick for you. Best experience with tyres on my Mi where Michellin MXV3A's. You can't get them any more. Worst experience was Yokohama A539's when they where just released on the Aus market. Crap tyre. I'll never buy Yokohama's again for a European car.
    I can accept personal opinion when it comes to tyres as it is a very subjective topic, and I acknowledge that the A539's are not a great tyre.....but to advise against buying Japanese tyres doesn't do your credibility one bit of good. That comment is completely absurd.

Cal

Agree macquered. I even think A539's are pretty good. I had a set on my 14" rims before the Azenis RS. The Japanese make performance tyres of the same level as the best Euro ones. The difference is the Euro tyres are a rip off here in Australia.

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

I dont have a problem with yokohama's, they smoke-up just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    Agree macquered. I even think A539's are pretty good. I had a set on my 14" rims before the Azenis RS. The Japanese make performance tyres of the same level as the best Euro ones. The difference is the Euro tyres are a rip off here in Australia.

Cal.
    Do you rate the RS's over the A539's? I remember you bagged them a little when in 14" profile saying they were wollowie.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Quote Originally Posted by jester_fu
    PeterT: That inlet cam mod, is that a regrind of the stock inlet cam? I'm guessing yes as you say $250 exchange. How have you found reworking the cams on this engine? I thought about doing it when i had my Mi (obviously i didn't know you existed back then, though!) but was put off by previous experience reducing cam life and strength. I found some nice cast cams in the UK, but at $2000AUD/set, i put that on hold until after i rebuilt the engine back to stock. Then, i sold the car
    Yes it's a regrind of the inlet only. Life is extended not reduced, as the buckets should be ground flat at the same time. The grind is actually easier on the buckets as it has less lift than std.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

XTC

Best form of performance upgrade .. driver training ... usually* there is much to be gained in learning proper technique and adjusting appropriately to the given situation .... best to get the most outta what you got before upgrading ... THEN you'll appreciate the changes more.

- XTC206 -

* I say usually cause I know some of you guys are obsolute legend drivers ....
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

wsie words..

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    * I say usually cause I know some of you guys are obsolute legend drivers ....
    ow gosh....well I never...... I would like to thank my family, my friends and you the audience have been great.......

ahh ur not talking about me....

Jester... err humm.... its personal preference if you like comfort over suspension/chassis feedback to the driver. There are different softness levels of neprene (or neophrene or whatever the spelling) and some are not recommended for street use as they do put added stress on chassis. Its up to the end user to figure out what he wants out of the car.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Cal

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Do you rate the RS's over the A539's? I remember you bagged them a little when in 14" profile saying they were wollowie.
    I rate the RS a fair bit higher than the A539, but they last less than half as long and cost 50% more. They are not really in the same sector of the market. The Yokohama is a good all purpose performance tyre. The Falken is the last option before a semi slick.

Cheers,

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

jester...

Around here the Pirelli brand name is mud. They are crap.

macquered is more than capable of making the remarks he made because he has driven more cars than anyone I know with a vast range of tyres.

From my personal experience the Euro tyres are poo and overpriced as well.

No matter what car they are for there will be a Jap tyre for half the price that will do a better job than a Euro. (yes I'm stretching the truth but only a little bit )

Quote Originally Posted by MYT205
    jester...

Around here the Pirelli brand name is mud. They are crap.

macquered is more than capable of making the remarks he made because he has driven more cars than anyone I know with a vast range of tyres.

From my personal experience the Euro tyres are poo and overpriced as well.

No matter what car they are for there will be a Jap tyre for half the price that will do a better job than a Euro. (yes I'm stretching the truth but only a little bit )
    I disagree. It's hard to beat a high quality Michelin (not a cheapie). Lucky it's a democracy!

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Daz what's this bagging of the Pirelli brand based on?

well what about Continentals, OEM on Bentley but manufactured in Malaysia..... Jap, Uro, US who cares.
    As for the cheapest fun in a Mi16, (any car for that matter) is take the spare out and remove rear seat etc........ then fit a roll cage, x1 race seat and run the car on semi-slick tyres (ANY brand) .... oh im getting away from the cheap part.
    Chris
    ... ptui!

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by MYT205
    jester... Around here the Pirelli brand name is mud. They are crap.
    I've heard reasonable good reports on P7000's, P-Zeros and P-7's ... a lot of negative things about P6000's and below ...

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

From my personal experience I haven't found a Euro tyre to match a good Jap tyre and the Jap tyres have been cheaper.

And every Pirelli I've seen has been poo or so obscenely priced its not value for money.

Thats my opinion.

I drove a Datsun 120Y a few years ago. It was crap. Therefore, in my infinite wisdom, I deem all Japanese cars to be crap.

Jester - see how stupid the above comment makes me look?

Lets all agree to disagree here. Tyres are a personla choice so lets leave it at that.

Now, back to Basic Performance Upgrades as was asked originally.

Darren

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information