extractors and induction questions
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon5 extractors and induction questions

Just bought a 205 GTi 1.9L and found a huge crack in the exhuast manafold. Its putting fumes through the car at the lights, so I'm in the market for extractos and I dont know who to call.
    whats an average price for headers?
    I'm located in brisbane by the way.

While I was sussing it all out i took the air-filter cylinder out and found a foam mattress material wraped around stel mesh as a air-filter!

I've been quoted $130 for replacement k&n but I'm thinking pod filter near battery area, tuck those 2 black boxes under the body and there seems to be enough room.

Advertisement

What size pod filter would I need?
    How can i attatch vacum hoses ect..?

open for sudgestions... What have you guy's done to your intake?

Dude unless your gonna seriously work the motor get a secondhand stock extractor put on.

You can buy K&N pod filters but don't waste your time coz they don't give u extra KWs. They just make the thing more responsive.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi and welcome and congrats on a nice choice of car, do a few searches as this has been covered heaps of times, but to answer your question the standard exhaust manifold is spot on, try to buy a replacement or have it welded, the cracking is a common fault, as for the pod filter the standard system flows plenty of cold air, a pod filter will make no difference except for making a cool whooosing noise when you accelarate. it may also make throttle response a little better.
    A website worth having a read is the puma racing site, lots of honest info on tuning the 8 valve engine www.pumaracing.co.uk
    05' Megane 225 Cup

hey suss,

you can do what some have done and removed the cat completely but is obviously illegal or replace it with a better flowing cat like err from a commondore.

yeah, check out that pumaracing site.

when you replace the air filter make sure you give the inside of the air filter cylinder a good wipe down coz it gets real dirty.

re pod filter youll just end up sucking lotsa hot engine air... but having said that, luca brother youve got a pod filer... is it worth it and what makes your set up spesh?
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Tadpole

Sure hot air from the radiator and thermo is filling this sudgested area but that "can" gets prety bloody hot to touch uptop of that manafold as well.

A heat shielded pod filter at the front of the car with a pipe facing the air front on, plus skipping 2 foot or so of pipes running over the hot engine logicly tells me it has to have some advantages. But if I a wrong in my way of thinking I'm keen to learn why?

A pod filter helps responce.
    Lets say I place a thermostat at both points inside the "can" and infront of battery. If the Battery position is cooler even whilst driving, What can I loose from placing a pod filter filter there?

cooler, less restricted, less distance air has to travel to the throttle body, more engine responce?

Thanks for the advice on the manafold, at this stage I plan to weld up crack, new gasket and VN / VP 5.0 L cat. Been told these are least restrictive.

Please argue my thoughts guys would love to hear yours.

Kev.
    Last edited by Suss Pug. GTi; 26th June 2004 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pugjet
    hey suss,

you can do what some have done and removed the cat completely but is obviously illegal or replace it with a better flowing cat like err from a commondore.

yeah, check out that pumaracing site.

when you replace the air filter make sure you give the inside of the air filter cylinder a good wipe down coz it gets real dirty.

re pod filter youll just end up sucking lotsa hot engine air... but having said that, luca brother youve got a pod filer... is it worth it and what makes your set up spesh?
    My battery is in the boot.

Thread Information