205 GTi tyres - Opinions and suggestions please
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 GTi tyres - Opinions and suggestions please

On my '88 205 GTi I currently have
    Front - Le Mans LM702 (185/60 R14)
    Rear - Formula FM901 (185/60 R14)

I'm looking at rotating my front tyres to the rear and getting something new on the fronts (Upgrading the rear also in a few weeks), as I want to get the fronts done in the next few days.

I'm looking at Michelin Precedas. Would you suggest these tyres? Budget (Within reason, up to $200ea) doesn't matter. I want something very sporty, seeing as it is a 205. Grip is VERY important!

What should I expect to pay for the Precedas, fitted? Also, is 185/60 the correct size to go for?

Thanks!
    -- DJ

edit: Oh, should I wait until I have money for all 4 tyres, or am I right just to do the fronts for now and the rears in a couple of weeks? Ta.

Advertisement
    Last edited by DJ-Studd; 25th June 2004 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ-Studd
    On my '88 205 GTi I currently have
    Front - Le Mans LM702 (185/60 R14)
    Rear - Formula FM901 (185/60 R14)

I'm looking at rotating my front tyres to the rear and getting something new on the fronts (Upgrading the rear also in a few weeks), as I want to get the fronts done in the next few days.

I'm looking at Michelin Precedas. Would you suggest these tyres? Budget (Within reason, up to $200ea) doesn't matter. I want something very sporty, seeing as it is a 205. Grip is VERY important!

What should I expect to pay for the Precedas, fitted? Also, is 185/60 the correct size to go for?

Thanks!
    -- DJ

edit: Oh, should I wait until I have money for all 4 tyres, or am I right just to do the fronts for now and the rears in a couple of weeks? Ta.

185/60 is the correct size for the 14" wheels, you might also like to check through the forum as there is a couple of threads on tires that will fit 185/60/R14's. as for saving up money until you have enough for all 4 tyres, well your rear tyres probably won't have as much wear as your fronts unless you like doing burn outs, so you could swap them over to the front of your car and run the new tires on the back until you get enough money to get the fronts done, and you wouldn't really be wearing your new tires out much
    Last edited by orestes; 25th June 2004 at 02:39 PM.

Cal

Azenis RS
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Default Tyre options

Just how hard are you going to drive?

I've found Yokohama A539s (195/60s) in 14inch are great on my Lancia Beta for road work.

For competition I've got a spare set of wheels being set up with a set of Falken Azenis RT215s which I've tried and found really sticky (and very reasonably priced)

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Redbetaracer
    Just how hard are you going to drive?

I've found Yokohama A539s (195/60s) in 14inch are great on my Lancia Beta for road work.

For competition I've got a spare set of wheels being set up with a set of Falken Azenis RT215s which I've tried and found really sticky (and very reasonably priced)

I've just bought 185 by 60 539s for $120 from Bob Jane in Doncaster.

Graham Wallis

I have 185/60 14" Yoko A539 on my 205Gti & will never put anything else on it's wheels. They cost me $115ea fitted. The tires do wear faster than your normal tire though, but you dont get grip for nothing. They got my brother 2nd place outright in the Tas. motokahana cup in my car on these tires last year. My brother also runs them on his V12 xjs jaguar on the road & their grip is so close to that from the bridgestone potenzas he has on his second set for racing.

Tadpole

Default Re: Tyres

I have an Mi 16 , and have drivin many peugeots over the years, and it comes down to what you want out of a tyre. To my way of thinking, living in Melbourne where we can get realy wet miserable weather, I tend to go for a good wet weather high performance tyre. The Michelin are certainly good at the top end, however pricy, as an alternative, I ran a set of Yokohamma A 539's on a ford courtina, and was very happy with the performance, and they are roughly half the price of the equivilant mitchalin in some cases. On my mothers car we are running BF Goodrich profilers, which also have a good wet weather pattern, and are also made by mitchalin........... much cheaper too for respectively similair technology.

Good luck, I hope you find what your looking for.

Thread Information