205 fuel cut off.
  • Register
  • Help
    VIP Sponsor

Default 205 fuel cut off.

I competed in an autocross in my 205 SI last Sunday and it peformed so well that I got enthused and went out and bought a cheap GTI this morning. The SI will be used as a road car and for some motorkhanas, it is still a bit too nice to thrash around on the dirt. The only problem is that the Quaife diff is now probably in the wrong car!
    The GTI has the usual problem of massive drive line shunt when backing on and off the throttle. This is due I believe to the fuel cut off sysytem. Can I simply disable the switch (assuming there is such a thing) on the throttle body to get around this problem?

Advertisement

Graham Wallis

GW are you referring to the knocking sound that comes from the front end when you come on and off the throttle??

P.S. About time you bought the real thing.

It's called fuel cut off on over run. You could disable the throttle switch, but then it may not idle terribly well. Start by just rotating the TPS slighlty, so it doesn't turn off. Properly setup, you should hear it click as you come off idle.

Best thing to do if it's a Jetronic ECU, is find a 2nd hand aftermarket fuel only ECU, such as Haltech F3, F7 or F9. Then you can get rid of the AFM flap, but still keep the original look.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    GW are you referring to the knocking sound that comes from the front end when you come on and off the throttle??

P.S. About time you bought the real thing.
    Luca, no, the way in which the motor switches off on the overun then comes in with a thump when you put the foot down again.
    My GTI back in 1992 was fairly good in this respect but most others I've driven have suffered from it.
    I still prefer the SI on the road and for motorkhanas but this will be used mainly for dirt autocrosses and maybe some bitumen events when I get it performing. I may fit the power rack from the SI wreck.

Peter, thanks for the advice, what sort of improvement do you think would be possible just by fitting the aftermarket ECU and disposing of the Cat?
    The head gasket has just been replaced and the engine seems in fairly good condition, has a bit of misfiring, however, and could benefit from a replacement of the fuel system.

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS

Peter, thanks for the advice, what sort of improvement do you think would be possible just by fitting the aftermarket ECU and disposing of the Cat?

Graham
    Not sure really, but it will definitely improve driveability and top end power. Just make sure you find one that uses a MAP sensor to calculate the load. They react a lot quicker than TPS controlled system.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thread Information