1600 Mi16
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 1600 Mi16

Default 1600 Mi16

Now before you all jump down my throat there is method to my madness.

I was competing at a motorkana on the weekend with the Dauphine and got talking to a couple of guys about a new powerplant for the Dauphine. I have been considering a R16ts engine with all the appropriate mods.

One guy suggested I put by Mi16 motor in the back (I have a BX 16v with a poor body but good mechanicals). However I wish to remain in the 1300-1600 class so he replied with why not put the 16v head on a 1600 bottom end. The second guy then piped up and said he had a 1600 engine I could have.

So is this mixture possible/feasable? What would be the potential problem areas? Do you think it would produce good power? Could I use the Mi16 pistons? (I believe the bore is the same in both engines) Would the compression height be suitable?

Advertisement

I know its a crazy idea but on the surface it sounds like a very cheap way for me to get a powerful, reliable, light 1600 motor. I realise I would need to make up an adaptor plate to bolt up to the R16ts 5 speed gearbox I plan to use.

Ross

Interesting idea.

Wouldn't a Toyota 4AGE or a Nissan SR16 be more cost effective?

Dude a guy is giving him the 1600 bottom end....

I would say that it is possible since you can adapt the Mi head to an 8v with a bit of work. I'm not sure what has to be changed to do this. I know there is something that has to be done with the timing side of things.

You will have to use the 1600 crank and rods as well.

Ask PeterT for the lowdown. I'm sure he would know. Or contact Adrian Wuillemin.

You need to put a 1.6 crank and rods into an Mi16 block, using the Mi16 pistons/liners, head etc. You'll need to get the 1.6 rods bushed, and deck the block/liners to optimise the compression. You may also need a thinner head gasket. You'll also need to use every bit of the 8000 rpm limit of the hydraulic lifters, so bigger cams will be needed.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thanks Peter, sounds more involved than I first thought.
    Would you run into piston/valve clearance problems by decking the block and a thinner gasket?

Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    Thanks Peter, sounds more involved than I first thought.
    Would you run into piston/valve clearance problems by decking the block and a thinner gasket?

Ross
    Depends on how much cam lift you use. It might be OK with the std. lift, but you'd check all that during the trial assembly stage anyway.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thread Information