Clio II Suspension Data for MSc thesis
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Clio II Suspension Data for MSc thesis

Hi, I'm modeling a Clio II front suspension for my MSc thesis, I need these data to finish my project:

Advertisement

Spring constant
    Damping coefficient
    Length of undeformed spring

I tried to contact Renault but they are not willing to give me anything, I searched on the internet but no results, maybe someone from this forum has access to such data and will be able to help me out, greetings

Tadpole

Of course it's not, I'm not gonna say it's my data, as long as you write the source you get the information from everything is fine, the purpose of my thesis is not to measure those values, but to see how the suspension works, anyway that's why those values are constant for each shock absorber and spring so they can be used in many different cases! Still nobody here has access to such data??

Quote Originally Posted by monkahead
    Of course it's not, I'm not gonna say it's my data, as long as you write the source you get the information from everything is fine, the purpose of my thesis is not to measure those values, but to see how the suspension works, anyway that's why those values are constant for each shock absorber and spring so they can be used in many different cases! Still nobody here has access to such data??
    I don't think you're going to have any luck getting that info given to you. Maybe you could find spring stiffness and length of undeformed spring, but good luck with the damping co-efficient!

Maybe you could try getting a clio and owner from here to help you out. Spring stiffness and length of undeformed spring is easy to work out. Just need to measure the spring's diameter as well as the wire diameter.

As for damping co-efficient, try ringing up a few of the pedders places or advanced suspension houses and seeing if their machines actually give the damping co-efficient. To be honest, I highly doubt it. The other way of getting that figure is a rough experiment and using the mx'' + bx' + cx = F(x) formula. Though that experiment may be a thesis in itself!

Or ask Bluey here who knows a lot about dampers and may know where you could get the damping co-efficient sussed out.

btw out of curiousity, what exactly are you modelling in your thesis if you don't mind telling? For example, is it a structural FEA analysis or are you modelling the dynamic motion, etc?
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

[QUOTE=jastanis]

Maybe you could try getting a clio and owner from here to help you out. Spring stiffness and length of undeformed spring is easy to work out. Just need to measure the spring's diameter as well as the wire diameter.

QUOTE]

& number of coils and material used

Quote Originally Posted by jastanis
    I don't think you're going to have any luck getting that info given to you. Maybe you could find spring stiffness and length of undeformed spring, but good luck with the damping co-efficient!

As for damping co-efficient, try ringing up a few of the pedders places or advanced suspension houses and seeing if their machines actually give the damping co-efficient. To be honest, I highly doubt it. The other way of getting that figure is a rough experiment and using the mx'' + bx' + cx = F(x) formula. Though that experiment may be a thesis in itself!

Or ask Bluey here who knows a lot about dampers and may know where you could get the damping co-efficient sussed out.

btw out of curiousity, what exactly are you modelling in your thesis if you don't mind telling? For example, is it a structural FEA analysis or are you modelling the dynamic motion, etc?
    My cat smells like cat food.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Tadpole

Ok, I already have a length of undeformed spring taken out from my model in Solid Works, I might be able to also get a spring constant but damping coefficient will be really hard to get I know that, that's why I post here, to find out a person who has some information about shock absorbers used in Renault Clio II, my thesis is about multibody dynamics of rigid bodies, it has nothing to do with FEA, I just use SolidWorks to create a model, get the necessery data out and then put it in DAP (dynamic analysis program) so I can see how my model behaves, than of course you can do whatever you want with it I'll try talk to Bluey

Quote Originally Posted by winnie
    & number of coils and material used
    oops!

Monkahead, thanks, that sounds really interesting. I'm not sure how DAP works, but I'm assuming that once you put in the required values it should model the compression, rebound and decay after you input a force on the wheel eg what would occur when the car goes over a bump. Assuming that DAP would accurately show that, you could 'cheat' by inputing a rough value of the damping co-efficient, and watching how fast the vibration decays, and fine tuning that co-efficient until the decay is small enough to show that it is reasonably well damped. I dunno about standard clios but the clio sport seems to be quite well damped so it's not entirely inaccurate to assume that and work backwards. You might have a bit of trouble referencing your source for the figure though!
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

The only thing that i can think of that might help is a shock dyno.

woOoOoOO solid works. i learn that next semester.

Thread Information