Brake Squeel
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Brake Squeel

Icon10 Brake Squeel

I had my front discs & pads on my 405mi16 replaced a few weeks ago & they've started squeeling... is this just because they're new? I had genuine (valeo) pads on... The last time I changed the pads & machined the discs they never squeeled...

Does anyone know how to stop the squeeling?

thanks!

Advertisement

Hi,

Brake Squeel can to due to many things but it sounds to me the pads are moving around inside the caliper, this is when the metal back of the pads vibrates on the caliper, the pads will have to be taken out and some anti-squeel stuff rubbed of the backing. You can buy this from any auto store. From memory its a red and sticky.

Cheers Nick

I get the same problem when my brakes are hot from heavy breaking. It usually happens when only lightly applying the brake, after using them quite heavily. This usually happens when i come out of the National Park in the early hours of the morning, i reckon it would wake people up, horriable sound.
    1989 BX 16 Valve Mk1 - SOLD (And Missed)
    http://www.bx16v.cjb.net
    1992 R32 GTSt Skyline

One of my first posts on AF was regarding brake squeel... I always associate it with new pads (but not all new pads). A few hard applications and a few weeks and it should go away. Well, did for me, anyway.

thanks Nick, it's a possibility. they squeel after driving for 10 minutes or so, silent when cold.. it's only at really low speeds or the last few feet of braking.. At first I was really gentle with them for 100kms or so. after that I started being a little bit harder on them & the squeeling started.

hey jason,

Yes sounds like that to me, at speeds the pads are held quite tight as the disc slows the pads start to vibrate.

Nick

damn... I might just take my car back to where I got them installed....

Sounds like you didnt bed them in properly and have glazed them. You should be gentle to the brakes to bed them in, not stomp on them as many do (I used to and wondered why the buggers squealed )
    Also, if the mechanic didnt take off the oily coating on the disc (to stop them rusting in storage) it will have contaminated the pads and contributed to the glazing. Remove the pads and rough them up gently with sand paper (dont mangle them and dont breath in the dust) and give the discs a going over with some emery paper.
    Chuck some anti sqeal paste on the pad backing while your at it.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by Jason20
    I had my front discs & pads on my 405mi16 replaced a few weeks ago & they've started squeeling... is this just because they're new? I had genuine (valeo) pads on... The last time I changed the pads & machined the discs they never squeeled...

Does anyone know how to stop the squeeling?

thanks!
    Jason,
    The anti-squeal stuff is the best. Our 505 had the same problem, pbr make a small tube of it and it's like glue. Works a treat.
    Chris

Thread Information