Does my car have a LSD????
  • Register
  • Help

Default Does my car have a LSD????

Im really confused.

Im led to believe that Gti6 do not have an LSD facrory right?

Last week in the rain i found out how crappy my tyres are cause i was single spinning into 3rd gear if i was a bit aggressive on the accelerator.

Ok i though yeah my car doesnt have an LSD.

Advertisement

Then last night i was in a bit of a dumb muzza mood and decided to drop a burnout cause my tyres are sh1t and gonna be changed soon. Anyways i do a medium clutch dumb and the car starts moving to the left and leaves two black lines on the road.

Now WTF why is the car spinning both wheels like an LSD?

Is this just sumthing that sumtimes happens because of the equal lenght driveshafts?

Anyways i hope it does that sum more as itll make launching my car alot easier

Anyways i dunno im a bit confused anyone wanna enlighten me?

Alex
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

GTi6s don't have an LSD from the factory.

Test it by turning the wheels from standstill and launch it fairly briskly. You should spin the inside wheel (easiest to do this in the wet, actually). If you don't you may have an LSD... I foun my second hand GTi6 had one from the first owner. It won't spin an inside wheel, no matter what you do.

Test it by turning the wheels from standstill and launch it fairly briskly. You should spin the inside wheel (easiest to do this in the wet, actually). If you don't you may have an LSD... I foun my second hand GTi6 had one from the first owner. It won't spin an inside wheel, no matter what you do.
    Thats the thing...i do spin the inside wheel and did a few burnouts that night and they were all gay single spinners....but then the last one i dropped the clutch a bit higher and the car just started to LSD sideways...and left the two lines.

I dunno....id be wrapped if by sum chance the previous owner of my drievtrain had fitted an LSD.

Damn i want LSD for track days...need to steal sum $$$$
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

300BHP
    (For Sale)

It could've just been the camber of the road...

If you can lift you car off the road with a hoist or jack, spin one drive wheel and the other shouldn't spin. If it does...

Quote Originally Posted by WRCPUG
    Now WTF why is the car spinning both wheels like an LSD?
    Thats not uncommon. Both my stock 306's did that.

I did spin it when it was on the hoist and im pretty sure the other wheel spun in the opposite direction.....but then again my memories rooted and this was a few months ago.

Mmmm the road was relatively flat with no camber....i think my alignment is not perfect though cause the dyno operator was complaining that it was slightly off.

Ahh wellz im gonna go rip sum more burnouts hahaa stupid crap plastic continental tyres
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

300BHP
    (For Sale)

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

when fast fours or some magazine like that did a test on the GTi-6 they were testing 0-100 times and each time they tried it they held the car flat, bouncing if off the rev limiter and just dumped it. what happened was 1. they got under 8 sec times and 2. it left 2 black marks up the road each time they did it

now i have never checked and i have heard many say they don't and then others say they do

was there something that they may have had LSD's in the early ones and not in the later ones ???

i may have to get out and have a look at mine but i do know that whenever i have dropped the clutch it has left 2 black marks no matter where it has been

and yes i have had the front end move left to right as well as both wheels spun

mind you it has been quite a while since i have done anything like that but yes i have done it and normally only after i have thrown abuse at someone form pulling out in front of me and i have stopped to up them then taken off
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Default no lsd just a normal diff that locks under heavy load

I have seen exactly the situation described being used by some of the more experienced motorkhana drivers in 404s at the PCCv slippery dip a couple of years back. By droping the clutch in the 404 with the engine at max power and keeping it flat they were able to get both wheels spinning and keep them spinning while getting further around the course than enybody else. Sounds brutal but it is amazing how far you can go in slippery conditions like this. Two things are probably happening here. First, by dumping the clutch at peak power there is plenty of power to break traction on both wheels quickly and once both are spinning they probably have simmilar grip so the diff has no need to distribute the torque unevenly. Whereas at lower power or slower feed in of the clutch there is not enough power to break traction on both wheels and time for the diff to feed power to the wheel with least traction and get it spinning. Of course once one wheel starts spinning it has much less traction and the diff then feeds all the torque to the wheel with the least resistance. Second, there may be a locking effect happening as things in the diff distort slightly under high loads.

You could try following some of the links on the LSD threads in this forum to better understand how diffs work..

Trevor Hoare
    '94 pug 405 Mi16 SII

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

a couple of things i might add here

i have never side stepped the clutch, i just move my foot very quickly

i have never used any more than around 3000rpm to do such launches and most often it would be closer to 2500rpm
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Default maybe max torque?

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    a couple of things i might add here

i have never side stepped the clutch, i just move my foot very quickly

i have never used any more than around 3000rpm to do such launches and most often it would be closer to 2500rpm
    Ok, so you are using the considerable and rising torque available at these revs to break traction and the rapidly rising power to keep them spinning on the GTI but to get that sort of power and torque out of a 404 1600 keeping it flat is the only way.....
    Trevor Hoare
    Boolarra Vic

'95 405Mi16 - what a great car! ; 89 405 ( for my daughter )
    previously 205Si, 504Ti, HR wagon with R16 seats, R16, R10, VW kombi, VW passat, HQ panel van, FB panelvan, Rover'49 P3 4-light

Thread Information