I hate Bendix calipers! Any alternatives?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default I hate Bendix calipers! Any alternatives?

Hey Guys. I have a 205Gti S1 with bendix calipers. They wear fast and in my opinion would be better replaced with anything that fits. Do any other calipers fit straight on? The girling ones fit but i've never seen a pair. The wreckers don't seem to have any. Do the 306 or 405 calipers fit?

Advertisement

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Long
    Hey Guys. I have a 205Gti S1 with bendix calipers. They wear fast and in my opinion would be better replaced with anything that fits. Do any other calipers fit straight on? The girling ones fit but i've never seen a pair. The wreckers don't seem to have any. Do the 306 or 405 calipers fit?
    The caliper won't affect the pad wear..

Unless they have a physically small surface area, a set of harder pads would be a better bet...(EBC Green Stuff seems to be a popular choice)

Changing the calipers may negatively affect the feel and balance of the brakes unless the ones you put on have the same size piston/pad area, in which case your back to square one...

Personally I'd rather replace pads than discs.......

To get a balanced brake system, you may have to put on the 405 master, booster and calipers (they may be interchangeable, as I have seen people on this forum do the same conversion)

1985 Renault Fuego GTX (the authorised 205Gti re-educator )

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    The caliper won't affect the pad wear..
    I don't think that he's refering to pad wear. Bendix calipers are renowned for wearing out their sliders and slopping all over the place causing bad vibrations. It's because the sliders are positioned two far away from the line of force of the pistons, resulting in a turning moment which wears the sliders quickly.

On the Pug 505, you can get either Bendix or Teves calipers. Alot of the Bendix ones are worn out now and many people are going to the wreckers and getting the Teves type to replace them. Do these fit the 205? I don't know.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Just throw a few grand at your brakes and get some PH fat BREMBOS. Theyll do the job
    1989 BX 16 Valve Mk1 - SOLD (And Missed)
    http://www.bx16v.cjb.net
    1992 R32 GTSt Skyline

Quote Originally Posted by sproose16v
    Just throw a few grand at your brakes and get some PH fat BREMBOS. Theyll do the job
    No need to go that far. Just throw all the 14" (1.6L GTi) stuff away and fit 266mm 306 rotors, calipers and hubs with 15" (1.9L GTi) shafts.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thread Information