Resistors
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Resistors

Default Resistors

Disclaimer: I purport to know very little about what I'm about to talk about

I've noticed on ebay that people are selling a 'mod' that claims to give instant hp increases. Upon further investigation these 'mods' comprise of a resistor that is placed before the oxygen sensor (correct me if i'm wrong) that tricks the sensor into thinking that it's receiving cold air so more fuel is introduced or something to that extent.

Can anyone provide any more detail about installing resistors, whether they are of any benefit/detriment, or any other relevant information...

Advertisement

cheers
    FOR SALE 1995 PEUGEOT 306S16

Get two of the resistors, a couple of hiclones and an energy polarisor and your car will be so economical you will need to go to the service station every day to sell them the extra fuel your car makes
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

The oxygen sensor operates in about the 1 volt and less domain and its response to mixture variations is non linear for which the cpu compensates. I guess that you could theoretically richen the mixture by such an act but I would advise against this, fuel consumption would go up and you may well overshoot ideal the fuel air ratio at some point and you could reduce power at some rev and load conditions. If you are keen on this concept perhaps you should purchase a Powerchip of similar which will give a better result.
    OddfireV6
    504 V6 24V, 203

Normally these Eaby scams put the resistor on the air temp sensor IIRC and it fools the ECU into thinking it's a cold day so it supplies more fuel- or at least that's the theory.....

Don't do it... it's just a get rich quick scheme flogging 10 cent resistors for big $$$
    David
    Former 306 S16 owner- now own a Mondeo ST24 V6

thanks for the advice guys...don't worry there was no way I was going to buy one I just wanted to know the principles behind the use of the resistors.

cheers
    FOR SALE 1995 PEUGEOT 306S16

If you want a faster car a quicker safer way would be to put a colder thermostat in. It would keep the car running in warm up mode making it hugely rich - works well on the 4.0L Range Rover/Discovery motors.

Very effective in making them go like a cut snake while it burns fuel
    by the gallon

We ususally go from a 88 to a 77 thermo
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tcns
    If you want a faster car a quicker safer way would be to put a colder thermostat in. It would keep the car running in warm up mode making it hugely rich - works well on the 4.0L Range Rover/Discovery motors.

Very effective in making them go like a cut snake while it burns fuel
    by the gallon

We ususally go from a 88 to a 77 thermo
    Tom
    wouldnt the change in operating temperture of the engine have negative impact on the longetivity of the unit? I always thought running as close to the oil temp is the way to go.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Quote Originally Posted by tekkie
    wouldnt the change in operating temperture of the engine have negative impact on the longetivity of the unit? I always thought running as close to the oil temp is the way to go.

IMO No more than putting a resistor on the temp sensor essentially you are
    you have the same cause and effect ....

Tom

There are devices that change the oxygen sensor output. The main reason for the the use of such a device would to lean the mixture when water injection is added. And compensate for additional oxygen ions in the exhaust gas caused by the presants of water.

al

Thread Information