'Knock me driveshafts!'
  • Register
  • Help

Default 'Knock me driveshafts!'

Hmm, just wanting to confirm that the KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK when accelerating hard when cornering is the driveshaft?

What are the driveshafts worth new, from Peugeot of course?

Advertisement

Ta
    -- DJ

I don't think you really want to know.
    What's wrong with rebuilt ones?
    There's a company called "Turner Driveshafts" from Sydney/Newcastle way that I'm pretty sure would do them for a fraction of the price & come with a warranty. I think you'll find they also have agents in Melbourne.
    I can't give you a price but I do know they don't come cheap; I would imagine from Peugeot something above $1500 a side is conceiveable. I'd have it checked thoroughly before you bolted in just in case it's something like a dry CV or one that hasn't been seated properly, loose bearing on a half shaft or something like that. Also one end is only held on with a circlip & I would imagine that could be bought separate to the actual shaft assembly and could save mega bucks if that can be done.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Knock me drive shafts and shiver me timbers! AAiiii me matey...

Hey studdster.
    Yeah that'll be the shafts.
    I fitted reco shafts to a 306 for not much. $150 maybe plus fitting. Call European auto imports in Box Hill and see if they have any. Will cost stax more, let alone if they are Genuine Peugeot..... Ya wouldn't even think about them.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ-Studd
    Hmm, just wanting to confirm that the KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK when accelerating hard when cornering is the driveshaft?

What are the driveshafts worth new, from Peugeot of course?

Ta
    -- DJ
    Hey DJ,
    Are they interchangable form right to left?? you could swap em, then they'd only knock in faaast reverse....
    jus kiddin'

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

how are they reconditioned ?

do they put new CV's on the shafts ?

CV's as a rule are made up of 3 parts
    spider
    cage
    balls

these are all matched items and wear at the same rate through a given CV so you can't really replace one item with the others

this has always had me intrigued an no one has ever given me a definate answer
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo

spider
    cage
    balls

these are all matched items and wear at the same rate through a given CV so you can't really replace one item with the others

Early 205 (or 1.6L GTi) shafts are pretty ugly, and don't have cage/balls etc. like the late model (or 1.9L GTi) shafts. I'd be taking the opportunity to upgrade rather than repair.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

AAAiiiiiiiiiii matey..... is it coming from the port or starboard side matey....aaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.....

Do the series 3 driveshafts go on a series 1 ('88) without a problem?

If so, where can I get some reconditioned ones?

-- DJ

1000+ Posts

spider
    cage
    balls

I looked into this a while back. Where they actually recondition a removeable joint (rather than replace the whole joint to recondition the shaft) I found that they replace the balls with oversized ones and regrind the ball races slightly. There can be some problems with reliability, though, if the case hardening isn't very thick or the grinding isn't done accurately.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    I looked into this a while back. Where they actually recondition a removeable joint (rather than replace the whole joint to recondition the shaft) I found that they replace the balls with oversized ones and regrind the ball races slightly. There can be some problems with reliability, though, if the case hardening isn't very thick or the grinding isn't done accurately.

that would worry me

i would prefer to have new CV's in a car

talking from a machinery perspective and in the mining industry mainly where parts are put under a bit of strain and replaced instead of bieng refurbished in regards to parts like CV joints

i have seen refurbished CV joints fail in a very short time in this sort of enviroment

ok they may be under a bit more pressure but they are designed accordingly

a CV joint in a car has to not only rotate and live up to it's name but it also has to work at greater angles than the same units in most mining machinery

CV joints work and last fine up to a working angle of around 15deg BTW so next time you see that brumby going down the road jacked up just think of the poor CV joints working overtime in it

with having a bit of experience with CV joints i would really shudder at the thought of someone putting larger balls in and grinding the cage back to suit (and of course the spider as well in that case)

i have placed these "reconditioned" CV joints in cars like laser's and the like before and they haven't lasted where as placing new ones in have done the trick and out lasted the car

if you can place new CV joints on the shaft then that is the way i would be going
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

VIP Sponsor

that would worry me

i would prefer to have new CV's in a car

talking from a machinery perspective and in the mining industry mainly where parts are put under a bit of strain and replaced instead of bieng refurbished in regards to parts like CV joints

i have seen refurbished CV joints fail in a very short time in this sort of enviroment

ok they may be under a bit more pressure but they are designed accordingly

a CV joint in a car has to not only rotate and live up to it's name but it also has to work at greater angles than the same units in most mining machinery

CV joints work and last fine up to a working angle of around 15deg BTW so next time you see that brumby going down the road jacked up just think of the poor CV joints working overtime in it

with having a bit of experience with CV joints i would really shudder at the thought of someone putting larger balls in and grinding the cage back to suit (and of course the spider as well in that case)

i have placed these "reconditioned" CV joints in cars like laser's and the like before and they haven't lasted where as placing new ones in have done the trick and out lasted the car

if you can place new CV joints on the shaft then that is the way i would be going

What I thought was driveshaft noise disappeared after I fitted the Quaife diff!

Graham Wallis

I have had my driveshafts rebuilt. The inner RH one went and the LH was going shortly. They reground and put larger balls into them They also remanufactured the outers which had a little play in them. Not sure of the costs as they were done under warranty, however I do know that new items were about $800-900 each for the whole shaft with inner and outter CV's. These are the S16 items however which are much larger than the stock 306 and 205 ones.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Thread Information