205 4wd?
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 205 4wd?

Tadpole

Default 205 4wd?

Does anyone who is familiar with both 205s and 405 Mi16 4x4s have any comments on the possiblity of putting the 4wd gearbox and rear end into a 205?. I have not found a 405 4x4 to really study so any input would be welcome. I realise some body mods for driveshaft and exhaust clearance are required, but are the rear subframes at all similar?

thanks, Simon

Advertisement

1989 BX 16 Valve Mk1 - SOLD (And Missed)
    http://www.bx16v.cjb.net
    1992 R32 GTSt Skyline

Just buy a Lancer GSR dude and save yourself the hed***

Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    Just buy a Lancer GSR dude and save yourself the hed***
    true that, i drove one of these yesterdy, oooooooo so much fun!!

Unless you gonna rally, you muck around with the great handling of these cars. Don't waste the time.
    Buy a GtiR instead if you MUST have 4WD.

Quote Originally Posted by slon001
    Does anyone who is familiar with both 205s and 405 Mi16 4x4s have any comments on the possiblity of putting the 4wd gearbox and rear end into a 205?. I have not found a 405 4x4 to really study so any input would be welcome. I realise some body mods for driveshaft and exhaust clearance are required, but are the rear subframes at all similar?

thanks, Simon
    if you want a 4x4 205 then go out and buy the real thing a t16, there was one for sale in New Zeland recently (i don't know if its still for sale) dont wreack a 205 and a Mmi16 4 wheel drive by trying to make a 205 4 wheel drive. besides that it'll be a huge headache and it'll wreack the handeling charecteristics of the car
    Last edited by orestes; 11th June 2004 at 11:05 PM.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i recall this bieng discussed in detail before and it was also mentioned that it has been done as well but not with pug parts

a search will turn up some results on here for sure
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Icon6 205

yes it has been done. but your probably best to go to the uk and find a cossie 205.they just have the 205 shell and interior and it seams like they do it more than the ones that you see in max or rev's!

good luck with your project if it becomes one!

jords

hmmmm....ok.....I think a 205 4wd is a great idea...and if u r game I d go for it......Yes we can all easily recomend other options...and thats fine in terms of guidance ....I ve been guilty of this 2...
    Why am I saying this?...Well....people do-up diferent cars....some like little mazdas...some like sprinters etc etc.....and as is clear on this forum a 4X4
    205 does sound exciting.....
    I agree with the others in regards to destroying a good 405 4X4 or an mi16 to make a good 205 4X4.....
    But this may not be the case.....ie. why KILL of ideas and thinking when we should possibly be promoting some of these projects....wether they be for street or track....

My thinking is...go ahead with it....and since its BLINDLY obvious this car wont be the REAL DEAL....then let loose....use whatever manufacturers products u can/need.....So if the 4x4 can be used out of a TERCEL 4x4....then why not.....???ETC ETC....

Ultimately its up to the individual.....they may go ahead with it,...they may not.....its about ideas and sharing them....

I d like more DAMAGED cars like the mi16ees and 205 shells brought back to life....wether as original cars or souped-up customs....the parts are out there and if u ve got the time, money and some expertise (with the help of some good mates)....lots can be achieved......but as much information should be sought out re. various state regulations, engeneering issues and purpose of the car.....

So.....my GO FOR IT....I m sure many on this forum would like 2 see more race-style custom pugs on the streets and the various show car circuits......
    I m always happy to see a pug, a cit or a ren done well.....therefore if u can not do it well...i would n t bother....

cheers

dino

PS....aren t the customising rules a little easier in NZ?...So u might have an easier job ahead of u than us on the mainland....plus the fact that cars are cheaper to begin with.....

cheers

dino

Dino did u forget 2 take you pills again???

Buy a GtiR instead if you MUST have 4WD
    I have heard that the GTiR's don't handle that well...

I would be satisifed with a 405 T16 myself

....hehehh...pills...yeah...right....

Fine, u can recomend the person go for a differnt make.....sure ....
    Let them go to other forums and than quote u LUCA....ie..."Well even the french car guys recon if u want handling,...than go out and buy a GTiR..."

What a load of #@#@*&&IT..........I mean why bother getting konis for that 306...or the 405...or whatever the case......WHY DONT WE ALL SELL OUR CARS AND GO JAPANESE......

Simple fact is....there are options....and always recomending the so called EASY WAY OUT may not be what people are wanting to hear...ie..if we dont have the right answers...simply recomend the propaganda of the local jap magazines.....

Well...maybe I dont fit your mould....maybe I m a little eccentric....but projects like these (ie 205 4X4) are feasable and in my opinion SENSIBLE if one is chasing HIGH POWER GRIP....

Make your mind up.....LSD or no LSD.....4X4 or not.....seems to work well in the 405 (from what I hear) ......Yes the transvers engine issue is a problem but thats up to the individual seeking advice to asess....

This topic kinda reminds me of some of the "FOR SALE" threads.....very defeatist....by telling people to SWAP camps......(R we working in the interests of the forum or r we going to let a few individuals REPRESENT the thinking of the whole forum)....

LUCA u can choose to be a sheep......I dont....might have to take pills for it....but what the hell....

cheers

dino.....

YES.....its 2:55 am....and yes I ve had a FEW...

U're supposed 2 take the red ones when u wake up DINO!!! Derr!

Tadpole

ahh, thanks for the (sometimes) constructive advice..

the logic is that the car is already turbo'd with traction problems (hydrid T3/4 turbo now, still a few weeks off running), so i'm either going to need a LSD ($1500 or so), or possibly wait and find a wrecked 405 4*4 if that looked at all possible and i wanted another project as an excuse to spend a lot of time indoors in my garage to create something unique... and still around 1000kg with 300hp and lots of traction. who knows if it will end up as a feasible project. Good to see some of you are still excited by doing something a bit different!

(and i am well aware of the capabilities of the japanese 4wds they are very common here in NZ.)

Tadpole

and good on ya dino, you've got the right attitude!

Thread Information