I worked out how to find cheap aftermarket wheels in Australia that fit!
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Blufires

Thread: I worked out how to find cheap aftermarket wheels in Australia that fit!

Fellow Frogger!

Default I worked out how to find cheap aftermarket wheels in Australia that fit!

The trick is not looking for 4x108 bolt pattern. The only ones you'll find are from the Ford hot hatches, and their offset is around 40mm, so they'd hit your springs. So what you want is 4x110mm wheels to fit an old RX-7, RX-4, RX-3 etc or a Daihatsu Mira. They've got the offset we need for FWD PSA cars at around 15-20mm. Obviously each bolt hole will be off the centre of the thread in the hub by 1mm. The wheels will also have 60deg tapers, whereas our alloys use flat washer wheel bolts. If you used 60deg taper bolts from PSA steel wheels, they'd only be touching on one small point on one side, so the bolt would bend as you tightened it. Bad idea. So here's what I did instead:

I've made an aluminium washer (dark blue) that fits into the 60deg taper of the wheel and has a flat face for the flat washer PSA bolts (mid blue) to sit on. The hole through the centre of the washer is 2mm larger in diameter than the M12 wheel bolt, so that the bolt can be up to 1mm off centre. Allowing the bolt to be eccentric in the wheel's bolt hole allows it to be perfectly concentric with the threaded hole in the wheel hub. Obviously this all means there's no guarantee that the wheel is concentric with the wheel hub. That's why it's absolutely imperative that you use hubcentric rings, preferably metal ones. You should use them anyway, especially with non-tapered bolts. While the bore to fit on your wheel hub centre is machined into OEM wheels, most aftermarket wheels have an oversized bore designed to accept rings to size them down to a specific bore.

Advertisement

Making 16 of these washers wasn't exactly convenient, but the bar stock only cost about $10 and it took about two hours on the lathe (a lot of switching between drill, turning tool and cutoff tool, but at least there was no facing operations). You can buy "wobble bolts" for a few hundred dollars a set which is just one of these washers that's captive on a bolt. They're commonly used by Americans to put Nissan 240sx wheels on Volkswagens.

I just bought these hubcentric rings because they were cheaper shipped from inside Australia than the aluminium stock to turn them would have cost. I glued them in with a tiny dab of silicone so they won't fall out every time I remove my wheels. PSA use a weird bore, but it's bigger than most other brands, so if you get wheels that come with the rings, you could just turn them out to the PSA bore. You could even do that to the bores in OEM Mazda wheels if you could fit them on your lathe.

There's heaps of $50-$100 sets of 13-14" wheels around that would look great on a 205, but I was concerned that my brakes might not fit in them since they only just fit the stock 14" wheels. I ended up spending $400 on this set of Konig spin-forged 15x7" wheels because they came with brand new tyres. I bought them from a guy who had tried to fit these far-too-big wheels on a Daihatsu Mira. With 15mm offset they fit like a dream on the sports tractor, inside the arches, clear of the springs, no scrubbing at full compression.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I worked out how to find cheap aftermarket wheels in Australia that fit!-washer-design.png   I worked out how to find cheap aftermarket wheels in Australia that fit!-washer.png   I worked out how to find cheap aftermarket wheels in Australia that fit!-hubcentric-rings.png   I worked out how to find cheap aftermarket wheels in Australia that fit!-4.png   I worked out how to find cheap aftermarket wheels in Australia that fit!-1obfuscated.png  
    Last edited by Blufires; 6th February 2020 at 05:29 AM. Reason: How do I make the pictures visible directly?
    bowie likes this.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Peugeot 405 SRDT
    - Sports tractor, running Berlingo rear and GTi180 front suspension.
    Citroen C5 2.0 A - Magic carpet to float around on

Excellent work. My solution is to re-drill the hubs to 4x100. The only snag is that you need the later, thicker flanges. Not the early thin types.

I think you could also use Loctite retaining compound to keep those rings on permanently. Only downside is being Aluminium, they may get worn in time. No biggie to make some in steel though.

No need to enlarge the holes in the wheels to allow them to bolt up to the 4x108 pattern?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    I think you could also use Loctite retaining compound to keep those rings on permanently. Only downside is being Aluminium, they may get worn in time. No biggie to make some in steel though.

No need to enlarge the holes in the wheels to allow them to bolt up to the 4x108 pattern?
    I always found the ring would either stick to the hub or the wheel.
    Great if you were doing a simple on/off job, but a PITA for rotation as Murphy would always look over and make the wrong combination.

Jo

Thread Information