Fuego fitted with HiClone device.
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Icon14 Fuego fitted with HiClone device.

Some years ago my daughter had a Fuego fitted up with a HiClone device to improve the passage air through the carburettion system.

from what I could see it consisted of a tin Ball shape with inner vanes designed to "swirl" the intake air as it passed through the 1st rubber connector between the air filter and the plastic shroud that fits on the carburettor. From what I recall it was pretty costly and was fitted at the HiClone agents in Melbourne.

She seemed to get pretty good mileage and performance in her car until the motor developed an oil problem and was put aside (with hi clone) as I built up
    another. The new engine while it ran well, my daughter always claimed that her previous engine had much more "oomph" and go in it (I largely ignored this
    at the time.!!

Advertisement

Recently I was stripping off some parts and came across the HiClone and decided that as it was easily removable and able to be transferred to my car that I would give it a try and see if it would improve the fuel consumption figures (particularly so with the higher Optimax price!!) Didn't expect to notice anything different in the way the car ran, but put it in the car on Friday last.

As soon as I drove the car I noticed more response to accellaration and general performance of the engine, smoother with less need to depress the accellarator pedal, really a different car to drive. I really can't believe the difference this little piece of tin plate makes to the performance. I had been about to change the spark plugs as the motor had seemed sluggish and had the occasional momentary miss, but now it is really zippy to drive!

Still has the occasional miss, but I am sure that it is one of the plugs and that is easy to replace, but the change in performance has to be experienced to believe. Next thing I will have to see is if the fuel consumption improves, (probably won't because it feels so good under accelaration that I have been toeing it a bit lately) (Legal speed of course!!)

Will post when the figures come in (PS have been reluctant to tell my daughter as she will want to reclaim her Hi Clone...) and of course I need time to further research this

Ken
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 7th June 2004 at 06:58 PM.

Do you have shares in the company?

No, on a more serious note- most people who claim to notice a difference seem to either drive an older carby engine or a diesel.
    David
    Former 306 S16 owner- now own a Mondeo ST24 V6

XTC

I've got a nice fuel polarizer here for you ... going cheap $150.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Lots of people on the landcruiser site have been sucked in with this one too. General consensus is take 2 x 20$ notes and set them on fire you will feel bad but not sucked in. Testing on dyno and real life has shown them not to live up to their claims. Right up there with the 20c resistor.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

What happens if you stick a few of them in a row?

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    I've got a nice fuel polarizer here for you ... going cheap $150.
    Funny you say that, I found this pic the other day. I think it says a lot for the whole polarizer nonsense.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fuego fitted with HiClone device.-polarizer.jpg  

Administrator

This is from the A Current Affair website....

Apparently they tested these things several years ago (along with several other devices)

Quote:

....ACA took the four devices to the Ford Melbourne Emissions laboratory where the head of the lab, John McEwan, put them through their paces on the latest model six-cylinder "AU" sedan.

The cars were each driven in simulated "city" and "highway" conditions and the measures focused on fuel economy and gas emissions.

"Predominately, we are testing for fuel economy of the vehicle, which will eventually come out of litres per 100 kilometres, but there's also the legal gases of the Australian design rule, which is hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide and nox [nitrix oxide]," John says.

On the city cycle, only the HiClone device showed a positive result a tiny half percent, while all the others failed this test.

On the highway cycle, only the Oz Magnetizer showed a positive reading a meagre 0.2 percent. Here again, all the other devices failed on their promises.

Only two of the devices eliminated emissions the HiClone by 15 percent and the Oz Magnetizer by four percent.....end quote

There is no mention of power output etc...

Still, on a modern computer controlled car like that, I reckon a 15% reduction in emmisions is nothing to sneeze at....

a .5% increase in economy is pretty minimal, but it doesn't say if there is an increase in power.

On a Carby car like a Fuego (which seem to run a bit on the rich side) it might make more of a diference......

I'd like to see your figures Ken.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

for a true result stick the hyclone in your daughters car without her knowing and see what comments you get back from her

if she doesn't know it's there her mind won't play any tricks in convincing her that it is running better so on and so forth

would be very interesting when you report back on her findings
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    for a true result stick the hyclone in your daughters car without her knowing and see what comments you get back from her

if she doesn't know it's there her mind won't play any tricks in convincing her that it is running better so on and so forth

would be very interesting when you report back on her findings
    Yip, very true. Chances are she won't even know it's there.

Mind you, I think its main purpose is for economy not power.

If Somebody chucked one on my car without knowing it (and it actually did something) I'd probably not notice a 5% increase in fuel economy. I just drive it and fill it. My car gets new plugs every other service anyway.

BTW - The ACA test that I quoted was done by Ford Australia (on ACA's behalf) It would be in Fords best interest for the thing to have a - result, but the Hiclone was the only item tested (out of 4) that significantly reduced emmisions and slightly improved the economy.

I'm sure every car is different. I dont think a Hiclone would make as much difference on a modern car as it would on an old carby car as fuel atomisation aint such a big deal with MPFI....

1000+ Posts

Yes Guys

I must admit that I have been as sceptical as anyone about devices like this one , but I was not prepared for the different feeling as a result of fitting the device to my car. I try not to do much to this car, it is pretty well as it was when I got it at 40,000 km, and is only now starting to drop its first spots of oil when parked and all the electrics work fine, so I leave it pretty well as is.

As Fuego owners know, some Fuegos go like cut cats, and others are very pedestrian in their performance, for instance my sons 86 seems to be much faster on accelaration through the lower gear range.

My daily driver has been pretty much pedestrian in performance and it has suited me to leave it like that while it is running well and requires no obvious maintenance. ( I get enough practice anyway working on my kid's Fuegos) and the carby still has its anti tamper plugs intact.

I mainly tried out the Hi Clone to see if it improved fuel efficiency as this has been topical with the high prices and Richards 600 km per tank is way above what I am currently getting (about 400 to 460 km) and if I tow a loaded trailer it drops substantially.

The last set of spark plugs I put in were valeo plugs, and they have not performed as well as the NGK spark plugs fitted previousy, and I will probably change them back to NGK in the next few weeks and this should improve things further.

And no I do not have shares in Hi Clone, but I am impressed that such an insignificant ball of tin can markedly change my enjoyment of my cars performance in the way it did. If the manufacturers of "go faster" bits had to depend upon me for their livelihood they would not survive five minutes!

My interest now, is how can I get a similar effect using ingenuity to construct something similar that will do the same job with minimal expenditure after I return this to my daughter (after a proper period of evaluation of course!! ) and being a miserable old "B" I have to decline the $150 offer of XTC206 for the "fuel polariser"

It will probably take a few weeks to get figures in but I will objectively post the mileage obtained. Stay tuned!!!

Ken

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego
    My interest now, is how can I get a similar effect using ingenuity to construct something similar that will do the same job with minimal expenditure after I return this to my daughter (after a proper period of evaluation of course!! ) and being a miserable old "B" I have to decline the $150 offer of XTC206 for the "fuel polariser"
    Special discount just for you .. $19.95 ...

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

- XTC206 -
    Beware, this sounds like a scam, it can't be a proper Energy Polariser at that price!! :-)

- XTC206 -
    Are you throwing in a set of steak knives too?
    David
    Former 306 S16 owner- now own a Mondeo ST24 V6

A friend had a hi-clone. He said Formula ! cars used them.
    Frankly I am not with him on that one.
    He swore by it, but I swore at him.

Quote Originally Posted by Warwick
    A friend had a hi-clone. He said Formula ! cars used them.
    Frankly I am not with him on that one.
    He swore by it, but I swore at him.

i reckon the best test will be if Ken sticks it in his daughters car without her knowledge and then go from there

i am always sceptical about these things but i keep pretty quiet about them untill i see proof in front of me that they work or don't work and i like to see something like this done on a variety of cars both old and new

sure they may not have come up with the results they were after in the falcons tested on ACA but maybe on older cars it may do something

right now i'll play with getting the water injection setup and going and wait to hear back from this test and see what the outcome is but for $160 for a hyclone i'm not going to be rushing out to get one
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo

for $160 for a hyclone i'm not going to be rushing out to get one
    .5% increase in economy, how long before you start to get money back?
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by cruiserman
    .5% increase in economy, how long before you start to get money back?

true

i'll hopefully get the water injection on this weekend so i'll post up my findings on that

i'm not hoping for a big increase in fuel economy but something is better than nothing and a little more power may come from it as well

as far as the hyclone goes i would be interested in hearing Ken's report back, but if he gets at least 10% better economy i feel that that isn't too bad
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego
    Recently I was stripping off some parts and came across the HiClone and decided that as it was easily removable and able to be transferred to my car that I would give it a try and see if it would improve the fuel consumption figures (particularly so with the higher Optimax price!!) Didn't expect to notice anything different in the way the car ran, but put it in the car on Friday last.

As soon as I drove the car I noticed more response to accellaration and general performance of the engine, smoother with less need to depress the accellarator pedal, really a different car to drive. I really can't believe the difference this little piece of tin plate makes to the performance. I had been about to change the spark plugs as the motor had seemed sluggish and had the occasional momentary miss, but now it is really zippy to drive!
    They offer a full money back garantee and are still in business.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    They offer a full money back garantee and are still in business.

that's true

but how many people do you know that have bought something and then said i should take it back and get a refund and they do it ?

if it wasn't a lot of money in the first place they tend not to worry or they just write it off as a bad experience

to many people $160 isn't a lot of money and they probably couldn't be bothered packing it back up again and sending it back

i wouldn't spend $160 on something and hang onto it if it didn't live up to what it is supposed to do like others here

but think how many people buy something then say i'll take it back and then 3, 4, 5 years down the track it is sitting on a table at a garage sale they are having for $10
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

1000+ Posts

Quote Pugrambo wrote["sitting on a table at a garage sale they are having for $10"]
    OR offering at $19.95!!

On the same theme, somewhere in among a junk lot of parts I bought there is a
    "Fuel Economiser" that you fitted between the F J Holden Carby and intake manifold it consisted of brass mesh (Fly?) wire stapled to gasket material. I think the claim was that it distributed the fuel mix better thus giving better economy.

I kept it anyway in the hope that somewhere there will be a collector of all those weird and wonderful scientific marvels that will help your car run on the smell of an oily rag etc... (might even pay good money for it)

Ken

1000+ Posts

Well folks

Have been using my Fuego for both city and country trips and towing a trailer on occasions Country and City.

Have been carefully filling the tank to the nozzle plate and keeping a record of the actual fuel used while the Hi-Clone device has been in place.

Incidently I liked the way the car performed with the Hi-Clone in place so purchased the device off my daughter!

When the device was originally fitted to her car the fitters very carefully tuned her car and ensured that it was at optimal performance for the Optimax she used and that the EGR system was performing correctly.

I have just taken the device out of her old car and still fitted into the concentina rubber tubing between the air filter and the carburettor shroud, and re-fitted it after rinsing oil residue out of the device (her car was retired with an oil leak fouling the system)

I suspect the plugs on my car need changing over and the air filter is due for a change soon and as you may recall it had a slight intermittent miss prior to the fitting of the Hi-Clone. If you accellarate hard between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and third gear you often hear a slight pop sound in the exhaust, which I take to be unburnt fuel leaving the engine.

So on that basis the testing of this device particularly for maximum Fuel economy is probably not a fair test given the care and attention they gave when setting up the device in my daughters car, She was adamant that after they installed the device the fuel economy was markedly improved.

I am still examining the data over the last months compared with Fuel use records I had when I first got the car. One thing that I can say is that if you drive with a lead foot or tow a trailer often that has the greatest effect on the Fuego's fuel consumption and with country driving you get about 200 km more from each tank.

This may be the same Hi-clone or no Hi-Clone, so I will be doing some further testing on those fuel figures after tuning etc.

What I can say is that with recent fuel price rises and with towing a trailer in the country I decided that I would not pay over a dollar per litre for Optimax and to my pleasant surprise the car performed well on the remains of an optimax fill and plain shell unleaded. With prices still high I continued to fill with normal unleaded and as the performance of the car HAS NOT been effected I continue to use plain unleaded.

With most Shell Fuel stations selling unleaded at 108.9 cents per litre, I checked out the Shell in Doncaster Road tonight and filled for 97.7cents a litre less 4 cents per litre on a coles docket for $38.26 for 40.82 litres.

Previously filling with Optimax back on the 13th of June at a Bendigo Shell Station the price was 114.4 cents a litre and 48 litres cost me $55.10.after the 4 cents off deal! so what would be the bill for Optimax now at 8 cents a litre on top of 108.9!!

As the car is performing so well on normal unleaded, I figure that the base savings over a year would pay for the device and that any other fuel saving from careful driving, new air cleaner and plugs, tuning will be a bonus on top of that.

If we can get a few Fuego's together at a RCCV (Melbourne based) event I would be quite willing to swap the device into their cars to see if the initial improvement (performance) I noted is apparent to other Fuego owners.

So far then it is a thumbs up satisfied feeling for the device.

Ken

As the car is performing so well on normal unleaded, I figure that the base savings over a year would pay for the device and that any other fuel saving from careful driving, new air cleaner and plugs, tuning will be a bonus on top of that.

Ken,It seems to me that You have just drawn some rather abstract conclusions.When I too decided not to buy optimax,I was pleasently suprised to find the performance the same with lrp.I agree with you on the savings achieved by doing so,but what has that got to do with the Hi-clone? does you car run rough on LRP without it?

1000+ Posts

Jo

ALL of my fuegos and the kids Fuegos run lousy on Lead replacement petrol and in the past (pre-Hi-Clone fitting) I have used shell unleaded in my fuego when either the price has been high for Optimax or Optimax has been unavailable (back blocks of NSW!!) and it has not performed well to the extent I have always gone back to Optimax where it would run sweetly with quite docile performance.

When I first fitted the Hi-Clone my car was running on Optimax and I would not have considered running solely on unleaded, the difference in my opinion was much too apparent and the lift in performance very noticeable not only to myself but both of my children who have driven my car before and after the fitting.

Anyway its a matter of choice and availability, I can only report as objectively as I can short of putting the car on a dyno to test with and without the device, and for those who want to see if it helps their Fuego to run better, then for Melbourne owners who attend RCCV activities there is the opportunity to try for themselves!

If someone wants to critically test the device on a particular car, then best they get it set up by the sellers of the device and tested in a sterile environment.

For me it was good enough to purchase and my daughter needed the dough at that particular time!! I myself will be interested to get other owners reaction over a variety of Fuegos. (Standard EGR systems and non standard)

Regards, Ken.

Tadpole

This is quite interesting I used google to search on "swirl control valve" and found Nissan have had this concept for many years(since 1998 on the sunny). Further,
    "Nissan say the Primera's success is down to a swirl control valve in the engine's inlet tract. "
    http://www.google.com.au/search?q=ca...valve%22&hl=en

Ford seems to be a relative new comer
    http://media.ford.com/newsroom/relea...?release=19390
    "The Duratec SCi's fuel injection system offers a smart way to overcome this throttle effect by using swirl control valves in the intake manifold that enable it to function resistance free and unthrottled. The engine, thus, is more frugal in its use of fuel."

and I found numerous other manufacturers using the "swirl" technology.
    Does anyone know the difference between this Ford thing and hiclone ?

James.

Thread Information