Cooling Fans not working.
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Cooling Fans not working.

Hi Guys
    Brand new to the thread, i am here on behalf of my Aussie mate who has just bought a 1994 Peugeot 306 XTDT (Turbo Diesel). The problem he's got is that the thermo fans don't seem to be kicking in. Cooling is fine when the car is moving so he thinks the water pump must be OK. Only seems to be an issue when stuck in traffic, temp goes up t0 95 then warning light comes on.
    Would this be a simple case of a busted thermostat, if so where is it located. If not any ideas greatly appreciated.
    Benno (former 205GTi owner)

Advertisement

Icon7

The fans should work off a sensor, most likely fitted to the radiator. If this is cactus or in fact any electrical relay used in the loop then the fans will not come on. The fan or fans should come on when the aircon is switched on. If not it would most likely relate to the latter issues.
    In addition you may also have a thermo malfunction or indeed a dirty radiator.

My suggestion is: if the fans don't come on its most likely an electrical problem - see a good auto sparky. If this is rectified and the problem persists have a radiator expert check the system's cooling capability/status.

Cheers ...nick

1000+ Posts

Given it's a 10 year old car, my guess is the fans themselves are stuffed. If you can, connect 12v up to the fans and see if they go. My bet is either they don't, or the fans aren't attached to the shaft anymore.

Derek.

Tadpole

Default fans check

when I bought my 306 diesel turbo, the first bit of advice was check the fans often, as if not going the next step after overheating is a head gasket, with related oil and water probs in the turbo. SUGGEST YOU GET TO IT

Tadpole

have you checked the 3 different coloured wiring terminals in behind the thermostat housing the fall apart

has he checked the fuse?
    ... ptui!

Thread Information