Lightened Flywheel for XU9J4
  • Register
  • Help

Default Lightened Flywheel for XU9J4

Hey dudes

Has anybody lightened a flywheel on an XU9J4 (BX 16 valvle/Mi16 motor) or know if there is a place that supply them? I think they are about 11KGs, how much wheight do you think i could afford to loose?

Cheers!

Advertisement
    1989 BX 16 Valve Mk1 - SOLD (And Missed)
    http://www.bx16v.cjb.net
    1992 R32 GTSt Skyline

Quote Originally Posted by sproose16v
    Hey dudes

Has anybody lightened a flywheel on an XU9J4 (BX 16 valvle/Mi16 motor) or know if there is a place that supply them? I think they are about 11KGs, how much wheight do you think i could afford to loose?

Cheers!
    The usual practice is to have the standard item machined, I'm sure PeterT will be able to comment. I've got one or two stock one's lying around that I could be persuaded to part with.
    Regards,
    Matt
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Imagine watching the entire French Air-Force crash into a fireworks factory. That's how much fun this car is."

Jeremy Clarkson - talking about the V6 Clio
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by matt205
    The usual practice is to have the standard item machined, I'm sure PeterT will be able to comment. I've got one or two stock one's lying around that I could be persuaded to part with.
    The std. items are already relatively light at around 6.5Kg. You can loose another 1kg safely. After that, you're playing with russian roulette with your passengers feet.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Ok no worries. I will let you al know how the flywheel business goes.

Cheers PeterT!
    1992 R32 GTSt Skyline

There is not much point machining more material out of the flywheel from the efi pugs and cits. They are already fairly light. The flywheel on my early carby bx though i'm sure a few kilos came out of it. If you really want it lighter look at a custom made flywheel out of a lighter material.

Dave

Well im looking for every posiable way to increase power etc. I know that doing this wont give me more power, it will just give me that tiny little bit more acceleration. But at the end of the day it will all add up i guess.
    1992 R32 GTSt Skyline

It definately helps, made a notable difference in my car but the flywheel was a lot heavier than yours is to begin with.

Dave

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    There is not much point machining more material out of the flywheel from the efi pugs and cits. They are already fairly light. The flywheel on my early carby bx though i'm sure a few kilos came out of it. If you really want it lighter look at a custom made flywheel out of a lighter material.

Dave
    Dave, are you still using a carby, how does it go?
    Graham Wallis

Hi Graham,

Yes i am still using the 34/34 weber carb. I have had to put some much larger jets in though. It runs pretty well now, am still fine tuning at the moment.

Dave

I've got a lightened flywheel on my 8v. It makes a big difference. With all the other mods my engine has got its very "blippy".

VIP Sponsor

Hi Graham,

Yes i am still using the 34/34 weber carb. I have had to put some much larger jets in though. It runs pretty well now, am still fine tuning at the moment.

Dave
    I was thinking that I might convert my mono point injected 205 SI to a hot carby motor. It is going pretty well, very enjoyable to drive, at the moment though, so it would have to be a pretty good improvement in power to make it worthwhile.

Graham

I would save up for a programmable computer for you injection system rather than mucking round with carbs if you can afford it. With high compression and pump fuel it would make life sooooo much easier

Dave

VIP Sponsor

I would save up for a programmable computer for you injection system rather than mucking round with carbs if you can afford it. With high compression and pump fuel it would make life sooooo much easier

Dave
    I would go for multi point injection, perhaps from a UK 1.6 GTI, in preference to fidding with the mono point system, good as it is in standard form.

Graham Wallis

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    I was thinking that I might convert my mono point injected 205 SI to a hot carby motor. It is going pretty well, very enjoyable to drive, at the moment though, so it would have to be a pretty good improvement in power to make it worthwhile.

Graham
    A GTi manifold/TB plus programmable injection would cost less and be far more tractable and easier to live with than carbs. Unless of course you had a pair of DCOE's just laying around.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thread Information