Another YT clever idea. Getting stuck bearing races out.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1972Ren

Thread: Another YT clever idea. Getting stuck bearing races out.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Another YT clever idea. Getting stuck bearing races out.

This was in the context of bearing races where you cant actually get behind them to knock them out. Which is not usual where cars are concerned, but I thought it clever enough to share here anyway.

Technique is to weld a bead around the exposed rim of the race. As the weld cools, it contracts and pulls the race in slightly, allowing it to be removed much more easily.

Advertisement

Regards,
    Andy
    jaahn likes this.

Yes. I last did that to remove a failed main bearing on a DS hydraulic pump.

Roger

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1972Ren View Post
    This was in the context of bearing races where you cant actually get behind them to knock them out. Which is not usual where cars are concerned, but I thought it clever enough to share here anyway.

Technique is to weld a bead around the exposed rim of the race. As the weld cools, it contracts and pulls the race in slightly, allowing it to be removed much more easily.

Regards,
    Andy
    That is how I remove CX rear arm bearings! Only I drop in the appropriate sized washer, so if heating it doesn't do the trick. The washer you have welded to the seat allows you to hammer it out with a punch.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

A similar technique is used to remove wet liners from blocks when they're stuck beyond help. A diesel engine engineer told me about it many moons ago. If worse comes to worst they used to weld a bar across the liner (inside) and pull at that.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

I've used this method for many years. Brewery fitter mate told me after I was trying to get 504 front hub shells out, one of the very old Crusty fitters told.
    One shell I couldn't budge at all, tried this and it fell out when I turned it over. Had almost resorted to getting new hubs.
    Brendan.

Thread Information