404 ute rear springs
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 404 ute rear springs

Hi my 404 ute is the 1ton version the rear leaf springs comprise of 6 leaves 6mm thick plus 2 overriders one 10 mm and the other 12 mm. Is it worth removing 1or 2 of the lower shorter 6mm leaves to achieve a more compliant ride as I will never carry a ton. Has any one done this ,the only other 404 ute I have driven was somehow lowered in the back it drove and rode well. Is there any recommended paint or coatings for the leaf springs mine appear to have some sort of tar on them.
    Marty 404

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Hi Marty
    I do not have a 404 ute but in times past I have removed leaves out of an old Jeep 1.5Ton truck we used for camping and an old Toyota 2Ton truck used for light use for people transport**, to improve the ride. The general technical procedure was to remove every second leaf in the main pack. Leave the auxilary thick overrider leaves.
    Worked well for normal use and we never had a big load on either one. You could actually drive over bumps and keep your teeth in . Another side effect is to improve the traction in poor conditions by allowing the wheels to stay on the ground more often
    cheers jaahn
    ** used in a third word country for carrying school passengers in the tray. They certainly liked the easier ride when sitting down in the tray which was required for safety. The roads were sh*t but the speed low.

I've had the 3 bottom leaves removed from my 404 ute and yes it give a smoother ride,

And to answer your other question leave them dry I say! The 203 panel van I had yonks
    ago had grease nipples and broken leaves.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks I will remove the lower two leaves and leave the overriders then see how it is.
    Marty 404

Thread Information