Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Brianbcs
  • 1 Post By Roger Wilkinson
  • 1 Post By jaahn

Thread: petrol in diesel

Fellow Frogger!

Default petrol in diesel

advice please,
    have been offered a low km hdi 308 which has a tank full of petrol !!!!

Advertisement

assume the nong has tried to start it , dont know how long it has been sitting

what is likely damage ?
    Thanks

What motor the rhr are very resilient drain the tank and change the filter 95% of cars donít have any long term problems

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time
    Garage C5 X7 4008
    Gone but not forgotten 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

Fellow Frogger!

Filled up our 307 Hdi with petrol about 3 weeks after purchasing it new in 2005. It wouldn’t start so had it towed to the local Pug dealer,they drained it..new filters etc . We only recently sold it after doing nearly 400k of trouble free driving.
    UFO and jaahn like this.

My sister put 6 litres of petrol in her diesel recently and a petrol-in-diesel rescue company came to the service station to drain her tank. They charged her $450 plus an extra $50 to dispose of her petrol. If I was close by I would have drained her tank with a $2 bit of plastic hose.

There is an incorrect fuel rescue service in NZ called Suckie Moto. It started in Auckland years ago and is now franchising around NZ. Price is less than half that quoted above.

It's not as simple as just draining the tank. You have to collect the fuel safely, because you are not allowed to spill it on a servo forecourt in any quantity. And you have to safely dispose of the fuel somehow. You might also need to drain and bleed the fuel system.

Last experience I had of it was at Lajamanu on the last Raid, when someone put diesel in a 2CV. The servo operator and town mechanic lent us some jerry cans, and was happy to take the contaminated diesel. We pumped it out and went on our way, the only casualty being mild embarrassment.

Roger
    driven likes this.

1000+ Posts

Default Hmm ??

Quote Originally Posted by nisspug2 View Post
    My sister put 6 litres of petrol in her diesel recently and a petrol-in-diesel rescue company came to the service station to drain her tank. They charged her $450 plus an extra $50 to dispose of her petrol. If I was close by I would have drained her tank with a $2 bit of plastic hose.
    Hi
    A little while back my daughter rang me about this. She had filled her diesel Toyota with petrol, about 40 L into the not fully empty tank ??? Why !! Not thinking at the multi fuel bowser I guess. But dad came to the rescue and went 15 minutes to the servo. Somebody had pushed it to one side of the forcourt, probably so it did not hold up the business. She had been advised not to start it.

Now for you people who have used a tube down the filler neck in past times to get fuel for the mower etc now it is not so easy as there are baffles put in to make that very difficult. I took some 3 x 20l drums and some hoses and tubes. So I did remove the fuel suction hose underneath to get the fuel out. Had to lay the drums on their side to get them low enough for the fuel to run in. Took a while but not difficult really. Drained as much as would syphon out by the hose. Then just put in some new diesel with a can to start it and drive it to the bowser and filled it up with diesel. Started OK and drove ok there-after. No noticeable problems seen or heard then or since. Should I have asked for $500 for that !

My mate has some petrol mowers and pumps on his farm so I gave him the petrol/diesel mix which went well in those engines for quite some time after, using it up. No starting problems either.
    Jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 3rd September 2019 at 12:27 PM.
    COL likes this.

Thread Information