306 S16 Changing break pads
  • Register
  • Help

Default 306 S16 Changing brake pads

Does anyone have the service manual for the 306 S16? If so I'm calling on a HUGE favour...could someone please scan the relevant pages out of the servce manual for changing the front brake pads...descriptions of how to go about this task are more than welcome but I'd prefer pictures/diagrams hence the pages out of the service manual...cheers

Advertisement
    Last edited by jumpin_pug; 17th June 2004 at 05:47 PM. Reason: spelling
    FOR SALE 1995 PEUGEOT 306S16

bump!

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i'm pretty sure Brad wrote up something about doing his a while ago

either do a search for user brad and brakes i'm sure you will find it

let us know how you get on
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    i'm pretty sure Brad wrote up something about doing his a while ago

let us know how you get on
    brakes...i feel like a bit of a spelling it breaks . Oh well!! thanks pugrambo will check it out...now wonder my searches were turning up nothing!!! still if anyone is willing to scan the pages out of the service manual I'll be a man!!

cheers

Jai, from memory it was fairly easy to do on my S16. Usually all you have to do is undo one of the calliper mounting bolts and then pivot the calliper up to remove the pads (worse case you'll have to undo both bolts to remove / fit pads). Use a G clamp to push back in the piston (make sure your brake fluid reservoir isn't full or else you'll get brake fluid everywhere as you push the pistons in.)

The rears are a PITA, I remember I cross threaded the calliper bolt into the alloy bracket and had to retap the hole.......
    David
    Former 306 S16 owner- now own a Mondeo ST24 V6

Quote Originally Posted by MondeoST24
    Jai, from memory it was fairly easy to do on my S16. Usually all you have to do is undo one of the calliper mounting bolts and then pivot the calliper up to remove the pads (worse case you'll have to undo both bolts to remove / fit pads). Use a G clamp to push back in the piston (make sure your brake fluid reservoir isn't full or else you'll get brake fluid everywhere as you push the pistons in.)

The rears are a PITA, I remember I cross threaded the calliper bolt into the alloy bracket and had to retap the hole.......
    I'm only doing the front for the moment. I assumed it was the same for most disc brake set-ups it was only that I had a niggling thought in my mind from a previous thread (that I can' find) that there was something intrinsic about the 306,,alas I'm probably dreaming!!
    I didn't have any problems (in that it was exactly the same as you describe) in doing my old accord so I think I should be fine.
    Thanks for the point in the right direction. Now I have to look through the threads (and I'm taking suggestions) as to what pads to put on...

I ran Mintex M1144 with Brembo crossdrilled discs in my S16. They weren't too flash when cold and gave that super tourer metallic squeal when braking. When warm they were great.

I've swapped to EBC Greenstuff pads for the Mondeo. For everyday driving I reckon they're better- they work from cold, they're silent and there's no dust on the alloys. They also pull the car up quickly with minimal pedal effort.
    David
    Former 306 S16 owner- now own a Mondeo ST24 V6

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    I thought a break pad was for rap dancers on the street !

Does this look like anybody ???

- XTC206 -

Serious note ... fronts are usually easy ... one caliper bolt ... slide up .. remove pad, try to refit, depress piston slightly if needed. Some pads have clips on them, some have metal shimmed backs, and a dob of hi-temp blue flexible gasket goo can help stop any vibrations (which can lead to squeal). The rears. mmmmm don't normally touch them.
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    I thought a break pad was for rap dancers on the street !

Does this look like anybody ???

- XTC206 -

Serious note ... fronts are usually easy ... one caliper bolt ... slide up .. remove pad, try to refit, depress piston slightly if needed. Some pads have clips on them, some have metal shimmed backs, and a dob of hi-temp blue flexible gasket goo can help stop any vibrations (which can lead to squeal). The rears. mmmmm don't normally touch them.

i went with the ebc oem replacement pads which i bought through autospeed.com.au. Put them on today...no hassles...the current disks were still good so I held off getting new ones..I will post back when the pads have worn in and I can properly assess the performance.
    Cheers

Thread Information