BA10/4 Gearbox
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: BA10/4 Gearbox

Default BA10/4 Gearbox

I have a BA10/4 gearbox from a 604 that I am trying to dismantle/check.
    According to the manual the extension housing can be removed after removing the speedo drive gear and engaging neutral.
    My problem is that the box is stuck in third gear. I have resorted to more brute force than I am comfortable with but still no luck.
    Any thoughts appreciated.

Norm

Advertisement

Aren't they a 5 speed box ? There was the BA7 4 speed, the BA7 5 speed, and the BA10 5 speed.

Dunno....I'm not an expert, but someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly.

All I can say is that they were known for doing this occasionally, and the last I heard was that it was understood why.

Aren't they used in other makes of car ? Jeep, I think. Some of those guys may well know, and you could find out online.

BA10/4 certainly did exist, but wasn't sold in anything in Australia. Probably the best RWD gearbox though. Strong and still shifted nicely, unlike the BA10/5.

In the past I have had a similar problem with a BA7/4, which is the same basic design. I think the solution that I eventually came up with was to grind the weld off the selector arm that came off the bottom of the gearbox and remove the arm, so that the pinion that engaged the selector forks could rotate further and disengage from the stuck fork. After replacing the broken synchro ring that was causing the problem, I welded the selector arm on again.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Beano The first 604's came with the BA 10 Gearbox. When the ratios were revised it became the BA 10/4 and later when 5th was added it became the BA 10/5.

Scotty Thanks for the info - I suspected it may be a synchro problem. Will remove the lever and report back.

Back in 1976, the old man privately imported a new 604 manual. It had the BA10 4 speed box. Great car, until it fall apart with rust. It came with the factory optioned poverty pack. No air-conditioning, valour seats and no rear seat belts. Pretty sure it didn't have a radio either.

Thread Information