Relocating BE1 release bearing / fork
  • Help

Default Relocating BE1 release bearing / fork

Well I officially hate BE1 gearboxes now. My old cable stretched and this was the state of the pin when I got home. Looks like the fork has a slight bend too it was bloody hard work on my left foot getting home.

IMG_1566078537.298022.jpg

I went to put in a new cable and following the Haynes doing the 3 pumps after tensioning then ‘crack’.

I can feel the plastic bush on the fork has come loose, and in turn the release bearing must have also come off the fork.

Advertisement

Has anyone had success relocating the bearing and fork in situ with without ripping the whole gearbox off?

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Well turns out it can be done without completely dropping the box. I could just fit my little hands inside the bell housing to remove the fork and reposition the throw out bearing.

IMG_1569903851.873749.jpg

IMG_1569903881.240327.jpg

The nylon bush broke off and as a result dropped the release bearing off the fork. I loctited some screws to hold the bush.

I also noticed that the grease supplied with my clutch kit had dried with dirt onto the input shaft and made it very tacky. Being a plastic bush I cleaned it up and just left it dry.

Clutch pedal feels a lot lighter now and the noise I was getting ~4k RPM seems to have gone.

How the heck did you manage to bend the pin?! It's hard steel. Anyhoo. Once bent, it will probably bend again. I would loo into getting some silver steel in the same size and make a new one.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

The pin wasn’t bent. The nylon bush failed on the fork in turn dropping it off the release bearing. The clutch still worked but it was really hard to push.

Next time the engine is out I will be converting it to a BE3 clutch setup.

Thread Information