the different 306 engines
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default the different 306 engines

hey, sitting back.... got the engine at the machine shop for 4 months to come so i've got plenty of time for smoking and using anything to waste my time, like looking through the peugeot book, when i found this....

Advertisement

look at the different bore x stroke and the different times that each engine makes power and torque

the 8v makes its torque down low and its 3000 rpm till it makes its peak power, compared to the 2lr 16v makes its peak torque 1000rpm before its peak power...

16v's may flow very well, but maybe there is some good to come from persisting in old school technology

food for thought
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Peugeot 306, garrett GT25 turbo, 3" exhaust, microtech LT8 ECU, 16.7 psi, front mount cooler, Chris Milton race port&polish w/ 3 angle cut valves and redesigned combustion chamber, 186hp atw for now... injectors ran out of puff
    NOS COMING SOON!

1000+ Posts

That's very true, but the 2L 16 valve engine is still just as tractable as the 1.8L 8v motor... maybe even more. It'll very easily idle up my driveway (some of you know it's fairly steep) in first, and pick up rapidly if you put your foot down at idle whilst crawling up the hill.

There's no doubt about it though, 8 valve motors are generally better when partnered with auto boxes. Any chance of a slightly larger photo? It's a wee bit hard to read! I know I could get my own book out but

Derek

Fellow Frogger!

save to your desktop and then zoom

i could make them larger... but.... lol
    Peugeot 306, garrett GT25 turbo, 3" exhaust, microtech LT8 ECU, 16.7 psi, front mount cooler, Chris Milton race port&polish w/ 3 angle cut valves and redesigned combustion chamber, 186hp atw for now... injectors ran out of puff
    NOS COMING SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by turbopeugeot306
    the 8v makes its torque down low and its 3000 rpm till it makes its peak power, compared to the 2lr 16v makes its peak torque 1000rpm before its peak power...
    Ultimately, the most meaningful demonstration of this is a torque & power graph, something which is extremely hard to get out of Peugeot. These figures deceive quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by turbopeugeot306
    16v's may flow very well, but maybe there is some good to come from persisting in old school technology
    That's why we have low pressure turbos, VVT, variable length manifolds and/or diesels

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    That's very true, but the 2L 16 valve engine is still just as tractable as the 1.8L 8v motor... maybe even more. It'll very easily idle up my driveway (some of you know it's fairly steep) in first, and pick up rapidly if you put your foot down at idle whilst crawling up the hill.
    I didn't have any problems with the 2.0 16V, it performed very well - definately a lot more energetic than the 1.8 8V. Seemed to move around Mt Panorama well enough

One thing I will say is the 306 2.0 16Vs probably have a bit of the 206GTi syndrome to some degree - light car, big engine, good power to weight. The low weight masks any problems with torque.

Ever noticed EW10J4 reviews in the 206, then look at them in the 406 - in the 406 it's canned for lacking torque, but in the 206 it's the other way round - thank the 206's low weight. In a heavier car, or when you bolt an auto on the end, any torque deficiencies really become apparent.

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    I know I could get my own book out but
    It was still in the car last time I read it

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Fellow Frogger!

i was thinking more along the lines of working out which engine behaves the right way for a particular purpose

im thinking the 8v with larger bore than stroke for drag and the high tech. 16v square engine for tracks

8v for towing and 16's for people driving through hills

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    oh, just a heads up to not make this a "this is the best full stop" war... just express opinions and leave them as that... lol, dont say i didnt warn you
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NOS COMING SOON!

Thread Information