DIY brake bleeder hack
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Artificer

Thread: DIY brake bleeder hack

1000+ Posts

Default DIY brake bleeder hack

I had to post this up as a cheap substitute for a vacuum bleeder. I haven't tried it but it looks like it'd work...especially with a bit more effort to use the right sized and shorter tube.

Advertisement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af0SYcbzIbo

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Nice! This one is actually simpler than my system (which I thought was the simplest).

I am curious how good it is at bleeding the master cylinder.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

1000+ Posts

I can go one better - I've got an electric pump like that on top of a bottle of herbicide (which I'm sure will be empty soon)!

I'm surprised that the little hand pump works so well when just pumping air - but I guess their original function requires them to be able to self prime.

The big question of course - could it work on a Citroen, with LHM? I suspect the brake button has to be depressed to allow fluid to flow, but it could be useful if trying to bleed a system when the engine can't be started, and the system has lost all pressure.

Cheers

Alec

1000+ Posts

I think with a quality commercial cleaner type squirter bottle like a Canyon brand it'd probably be quite good, especially if you greased the bleeder threads with rubber grease or the like to seal them a bit.

We use a brand of diswashing liquid called Method which comes with a really good quality pump pack and I reckon that'd work too, without the chance of a fine mist of brake fluid.

It's given me a few ideas for sure!

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Absolutely gr8.
    I've never recommended pump bleeding on anything than new systems even then:
    Old systems have crud/corrosion in the bore &/or the piston bottoming out, even on a new system, can screw up the primary seal.
    Vacuum eliminates both these risks.

Problems....Seal bleeder threads with liquid teflon or thick paint....both eliminate air intake when bleeding then later brake fluid & air corroding threads, when all is closed up.
    leithant likes this.

I said it was better because it is simpler than my device. It may not be as effective (mine relies on air pressure applied above the liquid in the fluid reservoir), but you can cobble things like that on demand. Say, on the side of the road. I like that.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 3rd May 2019 at 04:52 AM.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

1000+ Posts

Pics of my pressure bleeder in post #11 of the linked thread...I use a bike pump on an old stove top espresso maker. But the minor hassle is getting different caps for different cars. I've seen commercial units using a flat clamped on lid which fits any M/C that I might make soon.

15TS brake bleed

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I looked into this when I had the driveline out of the shitbox range rover ... Apparently the clutch is incredilbly difficult to bleed. I searched around and found someone that said "use an oil can ... they are cheap and work really well". So I whipped upto total tools and grabbed an oil can, fill it with brake fluid and "filled" the clutch from slave.... I just stopped pumping the oil can when the clutch resevoir was full. I just then gave the clutch pedal a few dozen fast pumps and we were away

It should also work for brake systems.

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

That is correct & Landrovers were always a pain to bleed brakes, for example, as they had no check valve in the master cylinder to maintain a small in line pressure, when the pedal is off.
    This method is called reverse bleeding & this is where an old mechanical fuel pump can be employed on bleeders in turn to supply fluid BACK through the system to the master cylinder.

This link is for old WW2 Jeeps but the methodology & relevance is the same:
    http://jeepdraw.com/images/HOW%20to%...%20BLEEDER.pdf

1000+ Posts

Brilliant Shane! I'm about to flush the 206 combined brake and clutch fluid reservoir and associated systems so I'll keep that in mind.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    Brilliant Shane! I'm about to flush the 206 combined brake and clutch fluid reservoir and associated systems so I'll keep that in mind.
    google just found it in seconds

'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I've had success with a 60ml disposable syringe sucking on the bleeder valve via some plastic tubing. They cost about a buck each.

I have to say they might be usable to pump the fluid in as per Double Chevron above.
    "Pauses for audience applause......not a sausage!"....Bluebottle

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1970 Peugeot 404 Utility (Resto project)
    1962 Renault Dauphine Gordini (Resto project)
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    Pics of my pressure bleeder in post #11 of the linked thread...I use a bike pump on an old stove top espresso maker. But the minor hassle is getting different caps for different cars. I've seen commercial units using a flat clamped on lid which fits any M/C that I might make soon.

15TS brake bleed

Too complicated when you can use your own tire pressure to do the same thing. Mine has a foot pump fitting on the end of the hose which attaches to the closest tire. And the tire doesn't deflate, because the amount of air "pumped" in the brake fluid reservoir is minuscule. If you don't forget to close the bleeding nipple on time, that is.

Not sure the Land Rover method would work with systems that have a check valve.

My gizmo works because the pressure applied by the tire is so much higher than atmospheric it pushes fluid AND any air very quickly (air doesn't have the time to bubble to the highest point in the conduits). You have to be quite quick on the bleed nipple to close it in time before all the fluid is dumped on the floor. Check valves if any are traversed in the correct direction, so no problem. The real test was bleeding a double circuit with two remote servos on my old BMW and it passed with flying colours.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 14th May 2019 at 02:57 PM.

I've always used vacuum bleeding.

Initially using a mechanical fuel pump with priming lever.

Mark 2 uses a small hermetic fridge compressor and a check valve. You need use a jar on the suction line with inlet and outlets arranged to prevent fluid reaching the compressor.

The compressor was salvaged from a bar fridge left on the street during a hard rubbish collection.

Saves the hassle of sealing the master top.

I actually bought an ABW vacuum bleeding gun with all the accessories at about 200$. Useless piece of junk. I literally binned it just out of the box.

Sealing the MC top is easy. Just get a spare cap from wreckers. Best 5c ever spent.

Sealing the MC top is easy.
    If you only work on similar vehicles from one manufacturer it's not a problem.

But when a mate fronts up in Saab it's a pita to have to make a special cap to be used once.

Vacuum bleeding is universal - all that is needed is the correct size hose to fit the bleed nipple.

And unlike you it's always worked perfectly for me. The only downside is the need to watch the fluid level.

1000+ Posts

Are there still wreckers in Perth for French cars, Schlitz? Serious question.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

You need to watch the fluid level no matter what method you use.

The gun I bought came with a universal rubber adaptor that was a forced fit on the nipple.

Not sure what braking system Saab use, but I found that my BMW cap fit the Renault reservoir. Old BMWs like mine used ATE brake systems, not sure about Renault. My gizmo still has the BMW cap on it though I sold my last beemer a long time ago.

But yes, like I said above, using the method with the spray bottle innards circumvents that problem, hence my enthusiasm for it (apart from being simple and cheap). The only reservation I have is in regard with its power to suck air out of the MC.

1000+ Posts

When I was reading up on this a few days ago it seems there's a standard Euro size that fits a few manufacturers M/C's, but not all. Looking at our cars (Pug, Ren, Ford, GM Euro) they all look the same. I must try them swapped.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Honda has different caps and so do Toyota and Hyundai.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Honda has different caps and so do Toyota and Hyundai.
    And I daresay so do Saab, Lexus, BMW, MB and Rolls Royce

It is still inconvenient to have a multitude of different caps for a selection of vehicles.

I can't see your point in relation to the topic.

Try harder, Rob. I am talking about one vehicle/one owner cobbling something together on the side of the road to get out of a sticky situation. Not about running a business fixing cars. We are after all, amateurs.

I'm afraid I can't respectfully reply to that.

The thread is about a convenient, simple solution to a problem Rob, not the perfect apparatus to fix all the problems of the world. See thread title.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 15th May 2019 at 03:37 PM.

Thread Information