Dunlop or Bridgestone
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Dunlop or Bridgestone

I will be getting a set of tyres for my 206 GTI 180 (not using stock wheels).
    As far as specs go Iíll be going 215/40 R17ís
    Used for spirited street use with some hill runs and the odd track day planned.
    Iíve narrowed my field to Bridgestone RE003ís or Dunlop Direzza DZ102ís.
    Now Iíve not used either tyre so was wondering what the collective experience of Aussie Frogs had to say about each option?

Thanks in advance, Tim.

Advertisement
    Previous Cars: '89 405 Mi16 Series 1, '93 405 Mi16 Series 2 - Midnight blue, 2004 206 GTI 180 (silver)

I love Pirelli P Zero Nero GT

1000+ Posts

The DZ102 is a poor tyre in the wet compared to the RE003. Of your shortlist, I'd suggest the latter. Neither is going to be totally suited to the stresses of competition-style dry cornering loads on the outer edges. The RE003 is robustly blocked there but wet-grip-friendly compounding means still a tendency to edge chopping. Given the vehicle, I'd be inclined to not just up pressures but relatively up the fronts more when you're "having a go".

I suggest that the PZero Nero would be inferior in both the dry & the wet to the RE003.

But I wonder if your plans would be better suited by a "track-day" style of tyre.

My choice would be the Bridgestone RE71R. For an interesting comparison test of it & the RE003 (only in the dry & with no attempt at tyre pressure tuning of handling balance - which the RE003 is very responsive to) see the Australian magazine Motor in its March 2019 edition. Another similar possibility is the Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R. This & the RE71R are a bit more road focused & wet capable than most track-day tyres. For the RE71R see:

https://www.bridgestonetyres.com.au/...orsport-re-71r

cheers! Peter

1000+ Posts

A post scriptum to the above:

Should you choose the RE003, you might want to wait & see if May has them on one of Bridgestone's "4 for the price of 3" deals. Currently Ecopias are so favoured but Potenzas commonly are (never the RE71R though).

Enjoy! Peter

The best track day tyre is Yoko A050. It has no equal.

I had the dunlop direzza z1 a few years ago and they were pretty good in the dry but horrible in the wet, scary aquaplaning. I havent tested my recently fitted re003's in wet yet as it never rains enough in my area to try them. In the dry im very happy with the re003 so far, very grippy , car has a good smooth ride and there not noisy

Fellow Frogger!

Have got Yoki advans on my track Fuego. For a front heavy car good compromise between grip, $$$ & life. It does double duty as a road car.
    Happy to recommend.

Like PeterT says....A050 is the track and tarmac rally tyre of choice. For a more road biased application, but still good for track work, you can't beat the Yokie (Advan) AD08 or Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2.
    Dunlop Direzzas are OK but aren't very resilient and not as good as Yokies in the wet...
    1969 Alpine A110

1000+ Posts

Three points:

1. distinguish the demands of a dedicated track-day tyre from those of a fast road tyre with occasional track days to be done;

2. The originally shortlisted Direzza shares nothing but the name with the track-day Z1 & Z2 *spec tyres; &

3. remember the size constraint of 215/40-17.

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 19th April 2019 at 12:55 AM.

Tadpole

4cvg: Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
    My track use and runs through the hills will be very occasional so I donít see the benefit of getting a more track focused tyre.
    Iím more than willing to wait it out in the hunt for a deal.

PeterT: I will keep this in mind for when I can get my ďotherĒ 180 in a track guise, but for the foreseeable future and to my original point Iíll be getting a set of RE003ís for the daily 180.

Thanks to the others that have also shared an opinion.

Regards,
    Tim.

The best thing about the re003 is the price, and the way they behave with total predictably when at the rsgged edge of grip.

I think the firm sidewalls are the reason.
    Jo

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    The best thing about the re003 is the price, and the way they behave with total predictably when at the rsgged edge of grip.

I think the firm sidewalls are the reason.
    Jo
    There's a bit more to it than that. Indeed stiff sidewalls can be connected to some snappiness at the limit.

That said, I agree with you about the benign behaviour of the RE003 at the limit. It's also very adjustable in handling balance via playing with front/rear tyre pressure relativities.

I think that the best thing about it is its broad dynamic merit over a range of disciplines & the almost omnipresence of "4 for the price of 3" deals is but a bonus.

cheers! Peter

1000+ Posts

Thread Information