• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By angru
  • 2 Post By PeterT

Thread: Talk me out of an engine swap

Fellow Frogger!

Default Talk me out of an engine swap

I'm thinking I want to put an XUD9 turbodiesel 1.9L into my 2001 Citroen Berlingo. I love this little van, but having 74hp is a miserable experience sometimes, especially if you're carrying anything. It won't maintain 100km/h up hills on the highway, and I have to be in 1st to even keep moving up the steeper hills in the suburbs. The Berlingo's front subframe/suspension/mounts are identical to the 306, and its rear torsion axle is the same as a 405. The XUD9 was offered in the same year model Berlingo in Europe so it should be fine for emissions. Maybe I wouldn't need a mod plate, like putting a V8 into?

Advertisement

If I go ahead with it, I'd probably want to find a 405 SRDT donor car so I can use the engine and also upgrade to rear disc brakes (I rarely carry heavy loads so I'm not worried about the handbrake being a bit worse).

Hopefully a mechanically-injected diesel would be an easy first engine swap? I've never reprogrammed the BSI for a different ECU before, but it should be possible with my Lexia. Since the diesel engine doesn't have any electronics, the only issue I can forsee with the BSI not liking the new ECU (or the loss of the old ECU) is that the gauge cluster might not work.

So is this a bad idea? Is there something about the fuel tank/pump that I'm not realising?
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Citroen C5 2.0 A - Magic carpet to float around on
    Citroen Berlingo 1.4 M
    - two person micro camper & work car.

Why not a 306 hdi into it pre bsi there are plenty around and less chance of a crapy hp pump also your existing lift pump will still be needed and everything will be talking the same language depending on what date in 01 you might not have a bsi just a passenger protection unit easily swapped

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

Fellow Frogger!

The main reason I'm looking at the XUD is that you can tune it for more power easily and pour canola oil right into the tank in summer. You can get 200L barrels of it for half the price of diesel. You can't tune an HDi without an aftermarket ECU, and it's impossible to make it run properly on biodiesel due to the complex physical tuning of commonrail injector spray patterns.
    Citroen Berlingo 1.4 M

Default Talk me out of an engine swap

Yeah I get it you might need to have a chat to the rta before you put any cash out they donít like older engines being put into newer cars even though itís the same metal the pollution ref is different but nowadays they probably donít care a gti 180 engine would make it move I want to put one in a hoggar but getting one from Brazil is near on impossible.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

Fellow Frogger!

Yeah, I had thought about putting a 306 GTi-6 engine (164hp) and gearbox into it. It would be crazy fast but I like the idea of an engine that will last me half a million km that I can tune with a screwdriver. Plus I've heard of people getting 200hp out of the XUD9 in the 306 STDT so matching the GTi-6's power would be possible.
    Citroen Berlingo 1.4 M

Fellow Frogger!

It sounds like a good improvement. The xud9t is a great motor providing you can find one with a good Bosch pump. However, you mention getting a complete donor car for disc brakes.. The 405 diesel came with drum brakes so if you want discs you’d have to get a disc setup from a petrol version. The berlingo has stiffer torsion bars and thicker anti roll bars than the 405 too so you’d want to keep those.
    Blufires likes this.

Check RTA, normally brake upgrades are required and an Engineer's Certificate Not economic

Just turbo charge the motor that's in it.
    JohnW and Fordman like this.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

BEHOLD!

The VSI 6!

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents...ifications.pdf

Good quick reference for non standard stuffs.

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Fellow Frogger!

VSB-14 (QLD's version of NCOP) says:
    1.1 BASIC MODIFICATIONS NOT REQUIRING CERTIFICATION
    The following are Basic Modifications that may be performed without certification providing themodifications are carried out in compliance with the requirements detailed in Clause 2 GeneralRequirements:
    *Fitting a replacement new, used or reconditioned engine;
    *Fitting a manufacturer’s optional engine together with any associated components assupplied by the manufacturer for that same model vehicle;
    *Fitting replacement original equipment engine and exhaust components;
    *Fitting replacement original equipment, equivalent or better, components that have noinfluence on engine performance or emissions (e.g. higher volume oil pump than original);and
    *Fitting equivalent engines with an increase of up to 20% of original power.

Substituting the original engine with a manufacturer’s optional engine is a modification that doesnot require certification. However, any other components (such as brakes, transmissions,suspension, exhaust, etc.) that were packaged by the manufacturer as part of the originalspecification for the optional engine must also be fitted.
    I think since the XUD9 is an original optional engine for the Berlingo it should definitely be ok to fit a non-turbo XUD9. Like how Commodore people put a V8 into a V6 model all the time - you just have to tell Queensland Transport and your insurer. The XUD9 turbo might even be ok without an engineering certificate as it's "an equivalent engine" and has less power than the most powerful Berlingo engine (1.6L TU5).

Modifying the 74hp TU3 with any methods will need an engineering certificate if it gets over 89hp, although nobody would know unless I put a supercharger/turbo on it. Even so, getting more power than an XUD9 with a front mount intercooler and a bleed valve wouldn't be likely. The Citroen AX GT's TU3 still only makes around 99hp.

If the SRDT doesn't have discs I guess I'll look at a 306 STDT. If I can't find one with a Bosch pump, I might as well get a 406 with the 12v XUD11 and fit the Bosch pump (will it fit though?).
    Citroen Berlingo 1.4 M

Fellow Frogger!

hi
    my brother had 2003 partner 1.9 diesel non turbo overseas. i was driving it while visiting him there. it was slow .
    in 2004 the berlingo /partner came with new shape with the hdi of the 307.i am sure u can get all the bits like engine mounts and dash
    from uk.it will be hard to find low km diesel here.good luck ron

Thread Information