Removing Surface Rust (Cylinder Head)
  • Register
  • Help

Default Removing Surface Rust (Cylinder Head)

Hi,

I've recently taken delivery of my XU10 cylinder head from the machinist and while it cleaned up very nicely, on closer inspection, the cooling passages could be a little better.

There is a fine surface rust inside which I would like to remove and was planning to block any outlets to give it a good soak.

Can anyone suggest any products that will dissolve the surface rust, without harming the aluminium?

Advertisement

Thanks

1000+ Posts

Do you mean red rust which has come from the rest of the engine, or aluminium corrosion? I know generally aluminium corrosion isn't referred to as rust, but just wanted to clarify. Also, do you want to remove it because it's restricting the passages, or just to make the insides look better to do a nicer job?

I ask because if it's the latter, a cheap way might be something like Ranex which will just netralize the rust. However, I've read good things about this stuff if you want a more thorough job:

https://evapo-rust.com.au/Cooling%20System%20Flush.html
    Last edited by Stuey; 14th March 2019 at 01:42 AM.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

That's correct Stuey, the red rust which has come from the engine and over time has caked a fine layer inside the cooling passages.
    It's certainly not restricting anything but just want it done right.

I'll give Evapo-rust a look, cheers.

Thread Information