• Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Armidillo
  • 2 Post By Andrew Watkins

Thread: Someone agrees with 4cvg re. tyres

1000+ Posts

Default Someone agrees with 4cvg re. tyres

I thought others might enjoy this article from Drive - it is really confirming nearly everything that Peter (4cvg) keeps trying to tell us...

https://www.drive.com.au/news/safety...utm_source=smh

I must admit that I feel very smug, as I now have RE003s on my 406. Only trouble is, that when I start finding out what they can do (eg. on Oxley Highway between Walcha and Wauchope), my wife starts complaining about feeling carsick, and I have to back off. Even the dog, sitting on the floor of the rear seat, has a stronger stomach (never complains).

Advertisement

Cheers

Alec
    J-man and cjl like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Good that your dog has a strong stomach

Years ago I was hooning up a windy road in the Strzleckis with Jan in front seat and large ridgeback in back( Seamus ). This wa sin a hot Alfa Berlina, an excellent ‘Q’ car. Jan wa slooking a little thin lipped but is herself a fast driver ( although gets car sick as passenegr )

Then noticed a strong burning sensation down my back. Seamus had clearly had enough and had leaned forward and vomited down my back

The dog stomach has a pH of about 1 so I was peeling skin off my back for th enext week or so

And I got NO sympathy

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    I thought others might enjoy this article from Drive - it is really confirming nearly everything that Peter (4cvg) keeps trying to tell us...

https://www.drive.com.au/news/safety...utm_source=smh

I must admit that I feel very smug, as I now have RE003s on my 406. Only trouble is, that when I start finding out what they can do (eg. on Oxley Highway between Walcha and Wauchope), my wife starts complaining about feeling carsick, and I have to back off. Even the dog, sitting on the floor of the rear seat, has a stronger stomach (never complains).

Cheers

Alec
    Armidillo and JohnW like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Watkins View Post

Years ago I was hooning up a windy road in the Strzleckis with Jan in front seat and large ridgeback in back( Seamus ). This wa sin a hot Alfa Berlina, an excellent ‘Q’ car. Jan wa slooking a little thin lipped but is herself a fast driver ( although gets car sick as passenegr )

Then noticed a strong burning sensation down my back. Seamus had clearly had enough and had leaned forward and vomited down my back

The dog stomach has a pH of about 1 so I was peeling skin off my back for th enext week or so

And I got NO sympathy

Andrew

cjl

Peter always gives excellent information on tyres. I cannot see any reason not to have the best gripping tyres you can afford on your car. Anything less is false economy.
    1975 504
    1985 505 STI with V6
    1992 505 wagon
    1969 404

Fellow Frogger

Wouldn't be an advertorial for Bridgestone would it? 4 for 3 deal tyre ads all over the page. The original issue Michelins are treated to this testing and glowing commentary in total: "... with the standard Michelins not far behind in terms of cornering results, stability and feel." Nothing more about them. It should be fairly obvious that decent Bridgestones would outperformed some budget tyre you wouldn't turn into a garden swan or knackered Michelins below the limit.

You might also find something of interest in Jonh Cadogan's tyre roundup here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WzBf6iokFY
    Liked the 2nd comment ...
    He has a few others of interest too.

1000+ Posts

Both links interesting - thanks.

The Michelin Primacy ST generally tests mediocrely in the wet. The Primacy3 is better but still not good in the wet but the new Primacy4 is a welcome return to the podium for Michelin after a longish run of poor performers.

Regardless of this test & any concerns about it, the RE003 has generally tested well in the wet. Not best in class but good & with benign limit behaviour. Mind you, a better comparison for any Primacy would be with a Turanza T001 or T005.

cheers! Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Watkins View Post

And I got NO sympathy

Andrew
    from me too. Must have been a fun trip to the next place with running water.....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information