• Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Armidillo
  • 3 Post By Roger Wilkinson

Thread: Brake parts for Citroen XM - advice needed

1000+ Posts

Default Brake parts for Citroen XM - advice needed

Having just acquired a late-model XM, I will soon need to replace rotors and pads (not just worn, but shuddering under brakes). I am inclined to replace the flexible brake lines with braided steel ones as well.

I need advice on what might give more 'bite' and less fade than standard pads & rotors.

Obviously this car is a 'luxo-barge' which will mainly be used for long country trips. However, because we live 1000m above sea level, it's downhill in every direction, and I have noted brake fade in the past (different vehicle). OK, I know - use the gears more - but sometimes a roo or a cow gets in the way and you can't just use engine brakes. Also, on occasions when I venture into cities, I am more likely to make a mistake and need to stop quickly than someone who is more familiar with the environment.

I am having trouble finding listings for the XM - sites such as DBA, which list the 406, Xantia, and even the 605, have no listing for the XM.

PSA part #s

Front rotor : 4246 T2 or 16 064 008 80
    Front pads : 425301 or E172086 or 16 172 803 80
    Rear rotor : 4246 T3
    Rear pads : 4251 83 or E172193 or 16 172 556 80

Hopefully EAI will be able to help, but I assume that they would supply base-level parts, while I am looking for a step up in performance.

Cheers

Advertisement

Alec

UFO

Martin at EAI will advise of any ranges they have available. Have a chat.

If you've not looked you'll probably find the rears are OK and maybe just need some new pads. They're piss easy to replace. The rears get little use in non weighted driving. Fronts get far more use.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts

Thanks Craig - yes discussing options available with EAI sounds like a good way forward.

Does anyone have opinions on ceramic pads (eg. EBC Redstuff). I like the idea of little or no dust, and they should fade less on the long downhills than standard pads.

Only problem (apart from cost) might be the need for them to warm up to work properly, but I usually have several km of country roads to negotiate before hitting 'city' (country town) traffic. Is this a real problem, or are some vested interests exaggerating it?

Cheers

Alec

1000+ Posts

OK - looks like my question about ceramic pads is of academic interest only, as it's unlikely anyone makes them for the XM.

Contacted EAI and spoke to Martin. He is selling me a pair of front rotors that he bought for his own XM, but sold the car without ever fitting them. Also sourcing front pads. They should have rear pads in a month, and have never stocked the rear rotors. Not a huge problem if they are needed, as the are available in Europe (although postage is looking a bit steep!!).

Why did Martin sell his XM, I hear you ask? Too unreliable - always off the road! (Don't worry, there's no danger that I've bought his).

Cheers

Alec
    UFO likes this.

1000+ Posts

Can someone confirm that flexible brake hoses for LHM are made from the same material as for brake fluid? I am just about to send a front flexible hose from the XM to HEL Performance to get a pair of braided steel hoses made up. They list Xantias etc, but not the XM (of course).

Cheers

Alec

LHM is a mineral oil and requires different rubber from glycol-based brake fluid. I would be surprised if the same hose material was used. If they list Xantia hoses, I suggest you ask for the same material they use for Xantia hoses but to the design of the XM hose.

Roger

Fellow Frogger

There are plenty of aftermarket items on offer. I've not checked recently, but the factory probably still lists this part. I have to say I don't like braided hoses because you can't easily see if the rubber has begun to split. Is there a practical reason for needing braided hoses? You aren't going racing or off-road are you???

1000+ Posts

Thanks Roger - I will do just that! Their catalog also lists C5s, so they presumably are on top of all the different materials required.

BTW - glad I decided to go through this exercise while waiting for other brake parts and spheres - the hose I took off is not showing any sign of leakage yet, but does have visible cracks in the outer rubber.

Cheers

Alec

Fellow Frogger

They can have external cracks on the outer casing rubber for a long time and still be OK.
    C5s use DOT4 in the brakes, so that's not something to rely upon here re materials.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    There are plenty of aftermarket items on offer. I've not checked recently, but the factory probably still lists this part. I have to say I don't like braided hoses because you can't easily see if the rubber has begun to split. Is there a practical reason for needing braided hoses? You aren't going racing or off-road are you???
    You are correct about availability - the flexible hoses are the only XM brake line listed as still available on Service Box. However my understanding is that you get less loss of pressure (less expansion than standard rubber), and longer life. Racing or off-road - no - but this car will be used on gravel roads, and stones do get thrown up at odd angles sometimes.

Interesting that only the front has flexible hoses - I presume the coil in the rear brake lines spreads the flexing in the metal tube caused by suspension movement, and that they will outlast rubber tubing.

Cheers

Alec

Hey Alec,

If you think a coil is weird, try an early Dee. They have a swivel in the rear brake line!

Roger
    Armidillo, JohnW and UFO like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Last time I put discs on the Xm I got pads from EAI (had on the shelf in stock) and got discs off eBay. Pretty sure it was a listing from a brake company in Aus who had them in stock and I had them in a couple of days, but that was a couple of years ago.
    Are braided lines legal? I have an idea they aren’t. Not sure they’d improve an Xm much... best thing you can do to improve the brakes on an XM is remove that stupid spring from the brake pedal link.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by angru View Post
    Last time I put discs on the Xm I got pads from EAI (had on the shelf in stock) and got discs off eBay. Pretty sure it was a listing from a brake company in Aus who had them in stock and I had them in a couple of days, but that was a couple of years ago.
    Are braided lines legal? I have an idea they aren’t. Not sure they’d improve an Xm much... best thing you can do to improve the brakes on an XM is remove that stupid spring from the brake pedal link.
    Funny you should mention the spring! I remember Double Chevron documenting that it was found in the scuttle, and I think I've managed to lay a finger on it, but how do I remove the plastic capsule that contains the spring? I have removed the scuttle, but that still doesn't give very good access.

Cheers
    Alec

Fellow Frogger!

Does it sit vertically from the pedal linkage? It’s been a while. Think it just pulls out without having to do anything. Then you’ll have to puttl the top part off the plastic bit that holds the spring and put a bit of tube in there.

Thread Information